Airlock question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead

Junior
Reaction score
The little plastic cap that comes with the basic plastic airlock,does it need to be attached on ? Have been told it does but i can't see how the gas escapes if the lid is on THANKS!!

1st welcome!

no its not necessary. But it will keep the fruit flies out. the cap is not air tight and will still release the fermentation gas.
I dont use them.

The way I look at it is during fermentation, I don't use the dust caps, but if you are going to age your wines for a while, the dust cap cuts down on evaporation, so you don't run the risk of having the airlock go dry on you.

1st welcome!

no its not necessary. But it will keep the fruit flies out. the cap is not air tight and will still release the fermentation gas.
I dont use them.

Welcome aboard! I agree with everthing Tom said above but I do leave them on to keep out fruit flies.

I might be having a senior moment here, perhaps, but I don't see the upside of not attaching the cap to the airlock. Can someone enlighten me. Thanks.

I agree Rocky, the little cap lets the air escape and keeps the critters out. Can't see any benefit in not using it.

The little cap will also cut down on the speed of evaporation. I like the "S" shaped air locks better than the three-piece, because I seldom have to top-off the S air locks, but the three piece air locks have to be topped-off every other week. in my climate.

Welcome to the forum Parrot. I hope you find it helpful and can learn the answers you seek.

I personnaly dont use an airlock. I use what is refered to as a "blow by tube". It is nothing more than a cork with a hole in it. Attach a length of tube and run it into a glass or other vessel of sulfited water. It can burb, but it cant suck air back in.

No need to worry about evaporation.

Welcome to the forum Parrot. I hope you find it helpful and can learn the answers you seek.

I personnaly dont use an airlock. I use what is refered to as a "blow by tube". It is nothing more than a cork with a hole in it. Attach a length of tube and run it into a glass or other vessel of sulfited water. It can burb, but it cant suck air back in.

No need to worry about evaporation.

I use the same method when I have a fermentation that is very active and creating a lot of foam, which can stop up an air lock. AKA "wine volcano".

I nice post to remind us all new people are new and simple stuff we all take for granted is a question that still needs an answer

Thats how alot of folks around here do it too. For space reasons I use airlocks, if I had more room or an entire basement to work with I might do this. But I guess if I was going out of town for a week or so it wouldnt hurt to do this to the batches I have going just to be sure the airlocks dont dry out while im gone. Just surround one 5 gallon bucket with all the carboys and run all the hoses into one bucket.

Yep, it keeps things out of the wine so I use them. I do have a problem with dropping them into places that I can't reach without moving carboys. Therefore you may see some of my locks topped with a cotton ball.
Sid, I'd like a pic of your gadget, maybe one with your lady standing next to it.

Richard L.

Wine is for Drinking Whisky is for air locks. I have been using whisky, vodka, or what ever hard stuff for my air locks. I find that the plastic disks help a lot with Evaporation.

Latest posts

Back