Glass Airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoelesst

Reaction score
Hello, jumping back on the site for the first time in years, so sorry if this has been discussed.

Glass airlocks - I hate how the plastic ones discolor and are hard to clean inside the chamber. So I went and ordered glass ones.

Crazy thing is, I couldn’t find them in the US. Found them in Europe and believe it or not, an eBay seller from Ukraine.

Any thoughts on glass airlocks and where you got them?

Tony

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello, jumping back on the site for the first time in years, so sorry if this has been discussed.

Glass airlocks - I hate how the plastic ones discolor and are hard to clean inside the chamber. So I went and ordered glass ones.

Crazy thing is, I couldn’t find them in the US. Found them in Europe and believe it or not, an eBay seller from Ukraine.

Tony
Personally, I would not use glass unless you wear strong puncture proof gloves. Having worked in a lab environment I’m aware of the injuries to hands when inserting into rubber stoppers. It’s not pretty.

I use plastic and fill with vodka or Everclear, they should not discolor. If they do just pitch them, they’re about the cheapest item in your inventory of equipment.

Last edited:

Tony
When my dad was making wine and I didn’t know anything about it, one Christmas I bought him a glass airlock. I found it in lower Manhattan in a very old wine making store. Now that I have inherited it, I rarely use it because it doesn’t have a snug fit in the drilled stoppers. They sure are pretty though. I have it displayed in a very old Art Deco gallon jug I picked up for a buck at a garage sale. Turns out the jug is worth $75.

Latest posts

Back