Other Adding goodies to fermetation!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello! I'm curious to see what you guys think about adding

image-3226745970.jpg

To my either primary or secondary fermentation. I'm making a Barolo and Amarone. I will also add raisins too. :)

I am thinking of using both dried cherries in both batches and the raisins in the amarone.

Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for. I knew there was a catch or some chemical that would ruin it!

Ok what about for instance adding Sangiovese juice to the eclipse kit instead of water?

What benefits are there in adding the goodies into the primary or secondary?

Typically when things are added in the secondary you get more of their flavours. Ie, if you are making a melomel (fruit mead) many people like to add fruit to the secondary to help the fruit come through. Primary might give you better colour and tannin extraction due to the higher fermentation temperature..

I do not think you should have much issue using the juice instead of water.. Just be ready for it to start re fermenting and plan accordingly....

If you add Sangiovese juice before ferment in loo of water it will only create a higher SG. Probably resulting in a 18% port.
Blending post fermentation with finished Sangiovese would be easier and more controlled.

I think he meant for topping off instead of using it to reconstitute the concentrate... Is this correct? I would not use it to reconstitute the concentrate unless you meant to have either a super high ABV ( and potentially out of balance) wine. If done correctly you could prob turn it into a port style but you would need to adjust your acid.

I probably wouldn't use juice instead of water to a kit. Kits are balanced based on the amount of water that is supposed to be added to them, and could be thrown off kilter by this. I might do it to a cheap kit for experimentation's sake, but not to a WE kit.

Oh. And cherries make a great addition, to full bodied Italians... especially with 2 packs of Hungarian medium toasted oak.
I would use sweet crushed fresh cherries as opposed to dried. No chemicals and you can use the sugars to your benefit.

The initial topping up to 23l. Could this be an issue?
I would not think this is a very good idea at all. Not only would your SG end up being higher than expected, but kits are set up to have a given flavor profile with water added. You just messed with that.

As Seth points out topping up later on with nice would be okay, it shouldn't restart fermenting if you added the sorbate and kept your k-meta good.

Seth your'e right on the money! I was reading the instructions and it stated to use water i was feeing rather adventurous and was thinking of using juice :)

So would it be acceptable to say add a half a pound of raisins and dried cherries to both the primary and secondary?

Be carefull about adding way too much of those raisins and cherries because they do have their own sugar in them and will contribute either to the ABV or the residual sugar.. But, I would add them to the secondary if it was me.

So would it be acceptable to say add a half a pound of raisins and dried cherries to both the primary and secondary?

If it were me, I would not add things to the primary, but add them once I racked to secondary. I don't think it will "hurt" anything to add them to primary. Like some others on here, I tend to look at it as a sauce. Get your base flavors then layer on top of that. It might be worth your while to read the thread "when good wines go bad" there are lots of hints of how to do this in there.

Last edited:
Yes I have been reading that for a bit thats kinda where i was looking at going with this. There are so many flavors and techniques i want to play with. What would be an ideal amount of fruit to use in the secondary?

I would take it relatively easy on the fruit with your eclipse kit.. You can always add more later so keep that in mind.

Back