Finer Wine Kit Carbon addition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me begin by stating that I have used carbon in a few white wines and they all came out crystal clear. They were not FWK.

On February 2, I started a FWK White Bordeaux. I added the carbon and let it go through its fermentation. On February 16 I opened the sealed bucket and was surprised to see the wine so black. Other batches started to clear from the top by this point. I racked to another bucket, degassed, added K&C then racked to a carboy. I’m watching this carboy carefully and today, March 8, it still looks pretty dark. Again other white wines were clearing by now. So, do I sit and wait or get it off the carbon and add more K&C.

Patience. K&C, like all fining agents, have side effects. Don't double-dose. If the wine isn't clear in 4 weeks, I'd add bentonite.
I believe bentonite was added pre fermentation. I’ve never added bentonite to a carboy while it was clearing. Any particular steps to take.

I believe bentonite was added pre fermentation. I’ve never added bentonite to a carboy while it was clearing. Any particular steps to take.
FWK do not use bentonite.

Personally, I expect your wine will clear in 4 weeks, so this will be unnecessary. However, I documented the last time I used bentonite, making a slurry hours ahead of time. This worked better than any other method I've tried.

In your situation, if the wine doesn't fully clear, I'd use a half dose of bentonite. That should do the job.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/using-bentonite-in-winemaking/

Personally, I expect your wine will clear in 4 weeks, so this will be unnecessary. However, I documented the last time I used bentonite, making a slurry hours ahead of time. This worked better than any other method I've tried.

In your situation, if the wine doesn't fully clear, I'd use a half dose of bentonite. That should do the job.

My notes say bentonite was mixed in a gallon of water with the carbon.

Yep just checked.

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I have made several FWK whites and rosés. All (except the first 2) have had carbon. All have cleared nicely to crystal clear. None of the FWK that I have made, reds, whites and rosés have had bentonite. I'd say, "Give it time", the K&C should clear it up fine.

It’s been several weeks now and the carbon seems to be dropping out very slowly. The top 3/4 of the carboy is clear and the bottom 25% is still black. Is there any reason to get the wine off the remaining carbon?

It’s been several weeks now and the carbon seems to be dropping out very slowly. The top 3/4 of the carboy is clear and the bottom 25% is still black. Is there any reason to get the wine off the remaining carbon?
It's settling out, just give it time.

I checked my notes on the FWK SB, and my memory was correct -- there was no bentonite packet.

It was mixed as part of Packet A. I wrote an In Detail post on the kit, and the second picture is Packet A, clearly showing bentonite. Every other kit I've made has bentonite as a separate package, and I was positive there wasn't one. Sorry I doubted you!

When I made the pre-carbon FWK Chardonnay, the wine took a long time to clear. I reviewed my In Detail notes for the SB, and it took a while to clear. Navigate to the In Detail post and scroll down to 05/21, where I describe in detail. I've only made 2 FWK whites, and both took longer than any other white, kit or juice, to clear.

It's settling out, just give it time.

I checked my notes on the FWK SB, and my memory was correct -- there was no bentonite packet.

It was mixed as part of Packet A. I wrote an In Detail post on the kit, and the second picture is Packet A, clearly showing bentonite. Every other kit I've made has bentonite as a separate package, and I was positive there wasn't one. Sorry I doubted you!

When I made the pre-carbon FWK Chardonnay, the wine took a long time to clear. I reviewed my In Detail notes for the SB, and it took a while to clear. Navigate to the In Detail post and scroll down to 05/21, where I describe in detail. I've only made 2 FWK whites, and both took longer than any other white, kit or juice, to clear.
Interesting. The bentonite in this kit was packet “Y”.

Interesting. The bentonite in this kit was packet “Y”.
I started mine 2 years ago, obviously FWK has been juggling things.

It makes a lot more sense to keep bentonite separate. Last fall I documented what I did with reconstituting bentonite, and that can't be done if it's mixed with anything else.

FYI, in the future I'll no longer simply stir bentonite into hot water. I'll use the method I documented, and while it will probably get tweaked, I don't expect it to change too much.

Do you ever let your white wines bulk for 12 months? I noticed in your descriptions you mentioned bottling the wine in 6 months

Latest posts

Back