Should I rack after Reduless?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RylanJacobs

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a case of H2S with FWK Tavola Riesling. Added 3g Reduless on 7/24.

The wine has cleared beautifully and the H2S is gone.

Question: should I add K/C fining agents and then rack? This batch has already gone through K/C once and I really would rather not do it again unless the copper is an issue. Does copper bind to K/C and settle out?

I’d rather just rack and add 1/4 tsp Kmeta.

If you've already fined with K&C, I'd not do it again. It's probably safe to just rack it. If you have any concerns, I'd use a half dose of bentonite to ensure the copper is precipitated.

My reduless package says to rack after 72 hours. It is also inactive yeast, so I do not think there should be concerns with copper - it will be absolutely minimal. I have used it instead of copper sulfate because of my concerns with using copper.

Don't worry about the copper content with Reduless in normal dosing range. It is negligible. Even if you haven't racked it off yet.

My reduless package says to rack after 72 hours. It is also inactive yeast, so I do not think there should be concerns with copper - it will be absolutely minimal. I have used it instead of copper sulfate because of my concerns with using copper.
The Reduless page on the Scott Lab site says:
  • REDULESS should be removed from wine via a racking or filtration in case of the unlikely event that copper is released into the wine. Maximum copper transfer is 0.3 ppm when used at 30 g/hL
"In the case of the unlikely event" means that likelihood of copper released from its other components is small, but not zero. The wisest course of action is to follow the manufacturer's directions, and rack the wine.

Back