Vineco Amarone signature series

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I thought I would try the vineco signature series Amarone. Looking though the kit and instructions I see they include bentonite for the first step before adding the juice. I have never used bentonite and not sure how important the use would be in a dark red wine. Would the benefits out weigh the side effects for bentonite for this? I would be bulk aging for at least 9 months so should clear naturally. I’m in no rush to bottle. What are some thoughts on the bentonite?

Also, Amarone usually has some raisins to add and I see this kit does not. I think I will add about 8 - 12 oz of raisins to the ferment as well.

I thought I would try the vineco signature series Amarone. Looking though the kit and instructions I see they include bentonite for the first step before adding the juice. I have never used bentonite and not sure how important the use would be in a dark red wine. Would the benefits out weigh the side effects for bentonite for this? I would be bulk aging for at least 9 months so should clear naturally. I’m in no rush to bottle. What are some thoughts on the bentonite?

Also, Amarone usually has some raisins to add and I see this kit does not. I think I will add about 8 - 12 oz of raisins to the ferment as well.
I believe that bentonite is used to aid in clearing the wine post ferment. I have never added the included bentonite deciding to use time to allow the wine to clear. Most wine kits say ready in 4-8 weeks. This is absurd. The wine at those time integers isn't even enjoyable, although it is drinkable.

Skip the bentonite and don't bottle for at least 6 months with proper racking and free SO2 management.

The raisins? Amarone already tastes like dried grapes. If you want more that, add them.

Certainly adding more raisins is good for an Amarone, I would do that. I would also add the bentonite first step. Some wine kits have had protein haze issues, the bentonite is added pre-ferment to help with that issue. It's pretty cheap insurance and costs you nothing to add it.

Checking back in to see how this is going? Been wanting to try an Amarone for awhile and this is back on sale at MoreWine.

Cheers!

for those that have done ANY Amarone -- wondering what your protocol was? additions, yeast, oak, aging yadda yadda...

Cheers!

I have the En Primeur Winery Series - Italian Amarone Style still in bulk age. It tastes real good now and is about 7 months old but don’t plan to bottle for another 3 months. I followed its kit instructions. It came with a pack of raisins as well as the skin packet. It came with Hungarian oak for fermentation but I added my own Hungarian oak when aging since it did not have any for aging.

I was going to add some raisins to this vineco kit just because the RJS kit had it. The rest was going to be the same.

I have the En Primeur Winery Series - Italian Amarone Style still in bulk age. It tastes real good now and is about 7 months old but don’t plan to bottle for another 3 months. I followed its kit instructions. It came with a pack of raisins as well as the skin packet. It came with Hungarian oak for fermentation but I added my own Hungarian oak when aging since it did not have any for aging.

I was going to add some raisins to this vineco kit just because the RJS kit had it. The rest was going to be the same.
What ABV did your En Primeur yield?

it came with the kit for a reason it also adds to the fermentation process...

Hi all - been looking though this - I did an en premier Amarone about 3 years ago. Followed the basic instructions except I leave everything in the primary for a full two weeks to extract more from the grapes, rasins, oak etc. it’s actually really good. Then it was an 8 month bulk. I buy amarone fairly regularly, and while mine doesn’t really taste like the real stuff it’s a huge complex wine reminiscent of the original. Wish I could share a glass with all of you but we’re down to 4 bottles - I accidentally lost track. Just bought another kit I’ll make in a few weeks. I have the en premier super Tuscan in one primary and the vineco sig chard in the other, so when the chard gets bottled I’ll do the amarone. Happy to answer questions.

Thanks for the info @Wj74. I started the vineco signature series Amarone a few months ago and it is bulk aging on oak. My en premier Amarone I bottled in May. It is 13 months old. It is tasting real good if I aerate it and let it sit for a bit. I wished I had added more oak. I added about 1.5 oz and I don’t think it is enough. I added 3 oz to the vinco Amarone. Hoping that it comes out a little better.

Latest posts

Back