Other Addicted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about wines. I do like the taste of red wine usually house wine. I'm a cheap airline pilot. I started making wine 4 weeks ago. I'm addicted! I've made one batch, started two and ordered two more, plus going to make a home recipe. This website has been very helpful in all my questions. It looks like I will have well over 400 bottles before I get to drink them. I hope I'm doing it right. Any good books to read?

John,

There are a number of books that you could read on the subject, but I suggest that you just surf this forum and read the posts that are of interest. If you can't find what you are looking for, post the question. Here you will find people posting the history of their kit from the day they received it from FedEx until they bottle it. You will learn a lot and if you use the "search" feature, you will be able to find anything you need to know.

Rocky, have you taken any classes on wine tasting or making? If so, which ones?

ERR... Welcome to a soon to be OBSESSION... LOL

Time to order more carboys. It sounds like you're hooked. Welcome to the obsession. There's a lot of infohere on wine making and a lot of people who love to answer questions. Ask away. Good Luck!!!

No, John, no formal classes but I started making wine in 1948 with my Father, Grandfather and Uncles. We would make as much as 5 barrels per year for the whole family. Iwas involved in making wine every year fromthen until about 1976 when I moved out of the Pittsburgh area. I took up the hobby again in the early 1990's in Rochester, New York until I retired and moved to Ohio (to be near our Daughter and Grandchildren) in 1999. Up to this time, everything was made from grapes or other fruits, e.g. cherries.

I just recently got back into the hobby and started using wine kits. Everything that I thought I knew about wine making was based what I was told by my family and other Italian wine makers. I have learned a lot since January on this forum. I do have three or fourwine books and everything that is in these books is also found either on this site or others on the internet. Also on the net, there are a number of videos that are also helpful.

My perspective on wine tasting is simple: If I like it, (to me) it is good wine. If I don't, (to me) it is not. I don't much care for wines that taste great to "an expert" if they do not taste great to me.

You dont need books, just read and follow this forum and ask any questions you might have.

Welcome to winemaking! This site sells a number of books which can be recommended. I think the little booklet that comes with the starter sets is a good place to start. I find each book can differ a bit in recommendations so I find it helpful to get different perspectives. Plus, as has been suggested, you can go back and read old postings on this forum and you will find just about everything covered!

If you are looking for recipes "Making Wild Wines and Meads" is a very good book. However most of the info you're seeking can be found on forums such as this one with the added bonus of a lot of experience tossed in as well. Jack Keller has a terrific sitehttp://winemaking.jackkeller.net/ - you'll be reading for weeks. Just remember if you follow any of his recipes use more fruit per pound and add sugar using the hydrometer.

Keep in mind Rocky's advice in regards to wine tasting and making. It's only good if YOU like it. Do check in your area if you are interesting in wine tasting. Wine shops, wineries, even some colleges will offer classes in "how to taste" wines. A friend of mine took a class while on a cruise!

Most of all don't be afraid to experiment.

I live in a small town in Arkansas 40,000. I'll look around for other wine makers. I down loaded a chemistry program, didn't take it in college. I'm amazed that the trouble shooting then how to fix wine to made it better.

Latest posts

Back