44.5F secondary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is near the bottom end of the temp range for even some of the strongest yeast strains. What yeast are you using? Also, why do you want to secondary at that temp? More information is needed.

Lalvin EC-1118, 59-66F is what it says the range is. My wine room is 72F. I don't have a place that is in range, but I have a large fridge. 44.5 is the highest it will go. So I guess the wine room is the best place.
What do you think about storing in the fridge after bottling?

You can get a device that will allow you to regulate your refrigerator temperature higher. My concern is that after 10 months of making wine I have accumulated over 250 bottles. If you keep making wine you will need to find a long term storage solution. My basement will go as high as 70*F, but at floor level it keeps between 50 to 65*F. I will soon find out if that is an acceptable range for storing my wine long term. I think you need to address this issue before you make a large amount of wine.

Just my humble thoughts and opinions.

The fridge that will be used, is for wine only. A device for temp would be great. What would I search for? I also have a cellar but it gets warm in the summer like 80-85 so that's not going to work out. I always get my cart before the horse:)

The fridge that will be used, is for wine only. A device for temp would be great. What would I search for? I also have a cellar but it gets warm in the summer like 80-85 so that's not going to work out. I always get my cart before the horse:)

You could look at the BrewPi if you want to ferment in the fridge as well. However, the STC-1000s or a Johnson controllers are more common.

If you are technically minded, you can make your own BrewPi controller - there is a thread here on HomeBrewTalk that explains the steps and parts required. I used the thread to make my BrewPi and have been very happy with it.

If you just want a temp controller for ambient temps, the STC-1000 is fine. If you want to monitor must temps during fermentation, the Johnson or BrewPi are better choices.

Good Luck,
Cody

Last edited by a moderator:
. I just did a little research on Lalvin EC-1118 and this is what I came up with -

This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118.

Taken from -
http://www.lalvinwineyeast.com/products/ec-1118-wine-yeast

I personally would not worry as others have noted about fermentation temps - a frozen jug of ice will cool things down if needed without adding any water to the must.

Back