WineXpert 2nd Choc Rasp Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
I'm about to start my /nd kit. The first one is really good. All kinds of compliments. I think it's kinda too sweet. Mg question- to keep alcohol up and not as sweet, is it as simple as only adding 2/3 of this sugar? I added mine in 3 segments last time.

I think you will find that the majority of the finished sweetness comes from the F pack you add at the end. Not sure if it would work to only add a part of it because has allot of Rasp/choc flavor along with a sugar syrup.

I'd be more inclined to maybe add some of the flack up front and hold back some of the dztrose pack. Gnat is because all the flavor comes from the fpack but fermenting that would keep most of the flavor and replace the sugar you are substituting it for.

Good to know Wade. Wasn't sure if adding part of the F-pack up front would still give you the same flavour.

cheers

It won't as fermentation will burn off some flavor but decreasing the dextrose addition will just lower the abv.

Wade,isn`t there some sorbate in the f-pack,and will that mess with your fermantation...in slowing it or making it stick....

Hey Wade. Should I add 1/2 the f-pack before yeast gets going, or wait a day or two and add it then?

Very little if any sorbate as lots of us make the mist kits and add 1/2 the fpac up front to bring down, he sweetness and up the abv. I would probably only add about 1/3rd the pac and probably right after this gets going and you'll definetely need to remove some of the dextrose pack or you'll end up to sweet anyway.

wag, do you plan on fortifing your port? When? And with what? I'm bulk aged around 6 weeks now, and still up in the air... Lol, plan on doing something at aroung 3 or 4 month mark.

hey wade, just out of curiosity....when it comes to step feeding my dextrose, should i do it in 2 additions or 3?....and when doing so, do u dissolve it in water first as the directions state, or just pour some in, and just stir real well?....btw, i was surprised as this kit seems to be pure juice....only water directions said to add was 2 cups of water to dissolve the bentonite in....

G8keeper, and the 1 and and half cups water for the dextrose...I did it in 3 steps .... Disolved in about a third of a cup of water each feeding.... Started on day 2

G8keeper, and the 1 and and half cups water for the dextrose...I did it in 3 steps .... Disolved in about a third of a cup of water each feeding.... Started on day 2

ok....cool....that is what i was thinking.....just wanted to see if i had any like minds on the situation, and get a consesus....glad to see we are on the same page....i just knew i wasn't going to go by the directions and add all the dextrose at one time, risking overwhelming the yeast, and tempting a stuck fermentation...it has been my experience in the past when making a high abv wine, to step feed the yeast anyways....i finally got around to starting this kit last night, as well as my california muscat....figured no time better than the beginning of the year....thanks for the input, ricky....

Definitely dissolve it and 3 steps would be better.

ok, well i now have my consensus....thanks for weighing in wade....greatly appreciated....glad we were all on the same wavelength....should be able to start step feeding later this week then.....lol...

Ricky, my first kit I did fortify with unflavored ES brandy. I forget how much. It's a year old now and EVERYBODY who tastes it loves it. Me too. If is a little on the too sweet side. I will only use 2/3 of the dextrose this time.

I fortified when I bulk aged. Over half I bottled and I bulk aged a gallon for about ( more months.

Thanks WAG,... Dextrose is for abv... F-pack.... Is the " sweetness"..... I have both brandy and everclear...I have a month or so to figure it out.. Tomorrow I'm starting an orange chocolate port... Maybe do one brandy,one everclear... Evjoy your port

Hi Ricky and Wag, I made my CRP this past September. My fermentation got stuck on me, after trying to get it going again I wasn't able to. I went ahead with stabilizing and clearing. I fortified after a month with a bottle of brandy and was able to "steal" some for the holidays. Going to add another bottle of brandy this weekend and bulk age until next fall. I figure if I keep it in the carboy I can't drink it. Lol, it's addictive. Bakervinvard

Great to hear Bakervinyard,i have it in a 3 gallon carboy ,and 1-750ml,and two 375ml.(splites,i think there called)...it fermented to 16+%...gonna fortify to around 20%....in one of many threads i read,i recall someone(a long time winemaker) said add a bottle of brandy per gallon of port....and another gentleman gave me a spreedsheet to figure ,how much brandy it would take to get your abv where ya want it..... i remember Wade saying also,you have to keep it WARM,....i keep it in the lower 80`s...i`m dying to try it....the carboy is "TAUNTING ME"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back