WineXpert 2nd Choc Rasp Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multiple Ferments advice

I will be fermenting a Merlot must and a Cab Sauvignon must in the fall from fresh Niagara Region grapes.

I'm looking for advice on doing multiple ferments with different yeasts to try to introduce more complexity. I'm aiming to produce dry wines with a bit of fruit flavors, but not too fruity, and some complexity.

I could use CSM for the yeast and Beta or VP41 for the malo. Would I innoculate later into the fermentation with another yeast or what I suspect would be better to do is ferment part of the must with CSM and another part of the must with something else and then blend the wine together later on.

This would be the first time I attempt doing multiple ferments.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your post seems to have gotten attached to a year-and-a-half old thread about Choc Rasp port.

I will be fermenting a Merlot must and a Cab Sauvignon must in the fall from fresh Niagara Region grapes.

I'm looking for advice on doing multiple ferments with different yeasts to try to introduce more complexity. I'm aiming to produce dry wines with a bit of fruit flavors, but not too fruity, and some complexity.

I could use CSM for the yeast and Beta or VP41 for the malo. Would I innoculate later into the fermentation with another yeast or what I suspect would be better to do is ferment part of the must with CSM and another part of the must with something else and then blend the wine together later on.

This would be the first time I attempt doing multiple ferments.

Thanks,

Rob

As alluded to by Geronimo, it may be better to start a thread of your own for this question.

I am certainly no expert, but everything that I have read suggests, as you suspected, conducting multiple, separate fermentations, and blending later. This really is the only way you can be sure that one or more of your desired species do not get wiped out by one dominant yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back