2018 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have to rethink the Pinotage. It appears it is susceptible to VA plus you don't know how it was processed.

http://winefolly.com/review/give-pinotage-wine-taste/

To me, Pinotage is reminiscent of one of its parents, viz., Cinsault. If you are considering making a Pinotage, you should definitely try a commercial bottle of it or of Cinsault some time. In addition to the descriptors in your nice Wine Folly article, I would add "gamey." It is an unusual taste in a wine. I like it, but it is.... different.

To me, Pinotage is reminiscent of one of its parents, viz., Cinsault. If you are considering making a Pinotage, you should definitely try a commercial bottle of it or of Cinsault some time. In addition to the descriptors in your nice Wine Folly article, I would add "gamey." It is an unusual taste in a wine. I like it, but it is.... different.

Thanks, I was going to try a bottle or 2 different ones. You never know how one would fare with the other. I also think Norton is gamey and I like that. Is it similar, that is you are familiar with Norton.

@pgentile I know you had problems with the Malbec but I think that’s what I’m going with this year. The guy who sold me the equipment gave me a bottle of 2016 Chilean Malbec made from Gino Pintos grapes and it was outstanding.
I’ll be reaching out to him to pick his brain on the particulars.

Hey I would normally get right back on the bike, but too many other options out there, as much as I like malbecs.

I may have to rethink the Pinotage. It appears it is susceptible to VA plus you don't know how it was processed.
http://winefolly.com/review/give-pinotage-wine-taste/

I hear you but I want to give SA's signature grape a shot. I had a bottle of Pinotage several months ago that i liked very much.

Given the scenario you would be no different! I also have a new house -so a new wine room as well. But A lot has to happen between now and then. Like moving my entire setup to the new location- full Demi’s/carboys and all.
The wine room build won’t be started by then, but the 1st crush will give me great insight on how to maximize the function of the space. As long as I get my gear in and install a utility sink I’ll be ready to rock and roll.
And I’ll just stall my grape pickup until after boatboy Jim records some accurate so2 levels since our suppliers sell the same grapes! Got a feeling I’ll be skipping so2 at crush again.

Yes, I too would be yearning to play with my toys, and certainly would! If the grapes are in good shape, not moldy, raisined, or generally poor looking, I don’t ever add SO2, especially to those shipped in SO2, like the Chileans.
Looking forward to watching your wine room build!

Looking forward to watching your wine room build!
I thought you were coming up here to build his wine room?
funny20194.gif

I thought you were coming up here to build his wine room?
funny20194.gif
In my day I participated in 3 barn raisings. Put house under roof in one day, a prefab log house over a holiday weekend and a pole building barn with a loft. They were a lot of fun, especially the barn because we had mostly legit carpenters. Tons of hard work but a blast and good food and drink

In my day I participated in 3 barn raisings. Put house under roof in one day, a prefab log house over a holiday weekend and a pole building barn with a loft. They were a lot of fun, especially the barn because we had mostly legit carpenters. Tons of hard work but a blast and good food and drink
Fred, I'm not calling your skills into question! I just think the two of you together would have the skills and creativity to create one heck of a wine room. Go ahead, create your room and I'll choose between the two of you as to who can have the pleasure of building my room! I do expect a discount, you know...:ft

Fred, I'm not calling your skills into question! I just think the two of you together would have the skills and creativity to create one heck of a wine room. Go ahead, create your room and I'll choose between the two of you as to who can have the pleasure of building my room! I do expect a discount, you know...:ft
I'll pay for your material if you pick mine as the winner

Well that was an entertaining last few posts. Careful Fred, I think Craig is baiting you. :)
Kinda veered a little off topic but I’ll run with it. Here’s a pic of the existing room and a quick sketch I did at the time. (Cleaned up since the pic) No hard layout plans or anything. But plenty of space to work with. Hoping to at least squeeze in waterproofing and the perimeter walls and mechanical closet by spring. At that point I’ll have to start actually making decisions. Finding the time will be the biggest hurdle. But I know myself, and once I hit it hard I won’t stop.
IMG_9891.jpgIMG_0200.jpg

Well that was an entertaining last few posts. Careful Fred, I think Craig is baiting you. :)
Kinda veered a little off topic but I’ll run with it. Here’s a pic of the existing room and a quick sketch I did at the time. (Cleaned up since the pic) No hard layout plans or anything. But plenty of space to work with. Hoping to at least squeeze in waterproofing and the perimeter walls and mechanical closet by spring. At that point I’ll have to start actually making decisions. Finding the time will be the biggest hurdle. But I know myself, and once I hit it hard I won’t stop.
View attachment 46269View attachment 46270

Looks like you'll have lots of options. Are there any drains beside the washer area?

Looks like you'll have lots of options. Are there any drains beside the washer area?

I’ll eventually use the washer lines to around the perimeter to wherever the sink ends up being. In the interim I’m just gonna throw a utility sink in the corner there.
I also have 2 sump pumps. One in the corner hard piped to the storm line and one under the steps hard piped to the soil line. Planning a floor drain and chipping out a channel ran over to one of those.
The goal would be to do everything down there. Floor drain would make hosing off equipment much more realistic.

South African & Chilean Update

Updated Arrival Dates

South African
  • Pinotage Grape - End of March
  • Pinotage orders must be in within next few days
  • Syrah & Cabernet Sauvignon - End of April
  • South African Juice - End of April
Chilean
  • White Grape - 3rd week of April
  • Red Grape - 2nd week of May
  • All Chilean Juice - 2nd Week of May

More Updates and pick-up times to come

• Please get orders in ASAP to ensure availability.
  • To order please click here.

Crush & Destem Services

• $25.00 - Crushing up to 10 lugs
  • $5.00 fee per varietal change
  • Excludes blends with varietals being crushed into same container.
  • $1.00 per lug after initial 10
  • Service by appointment only.
  • Please email to set up appointment.

Barrels

• Hungarian Oak / French Oak Recoop Barrels available for purchase.
  • Used furniture grade barrels (59 gal) - $195.00 + tax

They are at least saying at this point the the juice buckets and the red grape are coming in the second week. Rare that they all come in at the same time, but I think in 2015 they did. So here's crossing my fingers AND toes, Fred!

Back