2018 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn’t a magic cure-all. Just a replacement for cleaning solution I think but safe enough to let it go overnight and really clean it out.

It seems to have worked at least partially. Readings seem to be pretty good. Not locking on the reading in two seconds like it used to, but it gets there.

Got the D254 pitched around 6pm yesterday before heading out for the evening. No cap yet, but lots of bubbles this morning. We are off and running. pH came it at 3.9 and I added tartaric, targeting 2.7. We'll see where we end up.

For those the co-innoculate MLB: I'm going to do that today or tomorrow evening. I've only done it once before, but am not certain on the exact timing - 24 hours after pitching the yeast?

Got the D254 pitched around 6pm yesterday before heading out for the evening. No cap yet, but lots of bubbles this morning. We are off and running. pH came it at 3.9 and I added tartaric, targeting 2.7. We'll see where we end up.

For those the co-innoculate MLB: I'm going to do that today or tomorrow evening. I've only done it once before, but am not certain on the exact timing - 24 hours after pitching the yeast?

Why 2.7 Jim? What's you target goal after MLF?

Added opti-malo to the must, then rehydrated the VP41 with Acti-ML and added that a little earlier.

So far, color extraction has been exceptional. I'm using Lallzyme EX-V for the first time (usually just Lallzyme EX). Gotta remember to go a little easier on the punchdowns, as I've read the EX-V can turn your grapes to mush.

Added opti-malo to the must, then rehydrated the VP41 with Acti-ML and added that a little earlier.

So far, color extraction has been exceptional. I'm using Lallzyme EX-V for the first time (usually just Lallzyme EX). Gotta remember to go a little easier on the punchdowns, as I've read the EX-V can turn your grapes to mush.

Glad to see you trying co inoculation! I use the EX-V on all of my big reds, it’s exceptional. Using a regular old wooden press basket, have never had any issues with the “break down”. Drain off the free run, load the press and go. Couple of strainers stacked together in the press discharge stream will work wonders to reduce the gross lees in your press juice, just keep swapping them out and rinsing as you press. Little jealous, but waiting til fall, happy fermenting!

@Johnd tried the co-ino last fall and liked it. After the trouble I had in 2016 with my Chileans, I want to give myself every advantage I can get. ;)

@Johnd tried the co-ino last fall and liked it. After the trouble I had in 2016 with my Chileans, I want to give myself every advantage I can get. ;)

I’m right there with ya. Used EX-V instead of EX for the 1st time. (By accident too). Eased up on the punches as fermentation was nearing finish.
I added my mlb in the past right after lag phase. I waited an extra day this time when there was full dry caps. But still barely any sugar consumed yet. Went with Alpha since VP41 was sold out. So far so good

I’m right there with ya. Used EX-V instead of EX for the 1st time. (By accident too). Eased up on the punches as fermentation was nearing finish.
I added my mlb in the past right after lag phase. I waited an extra day this time when there was full dry caps. But still barely any sugar consumed yet. Went with Alpha since VP41 was sold out. So far so good

Sorry - I bought your VP41. :p

Punchdowns in full effect now. I split the batch into two containers because I was concerned about an overflow. By the time I finished punching down the second one, the cap had almost reformed on the first. Added Fermaid O last night. I goofed and put the full dose in, rather than the planned half.

Latest posts

Back