2018 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Messing with juice bucket numbers feels like a gamble sometimes doesn’t it? Could be all out of wack then after AF and MLF somehow in good ranges. And other times FUBAR. Juice bucket numbers are annoying. For years I just added yeast and didn’t test or stress anything. Wine was always decent and aged well. Back when life was simple.

Messing with juice bucket numbers feels like a gamble sometimes doesn’t it? Could be all out of wack then after AF and MLF somehow in good ranges. And other times FUBAR. Juice bucket numbers are annoying. For years I just added yeast and didn’t test or stress anything. Wine was always decent and aged well. Back when life was simple.

Yes, back when life was simple. LOL I beg the question why do we torture ourselves and the only thing I can come up with is because it's fun.

Just gonna piggyback Gino Pinto onto the Hartford thread. Received an email alerting of a change in plan. All Chilean pickups will be tomorrow 8-4 and Saturday 8-5 only.

Didn't know they were open until 5 on Saturday, they usually close at 12. If the carmenere is in I will be able to pick up around 2pm. I will call them tomorrow..

Only one time when I "messed" with the bucket did it work out better than I thought it would have been without messing with it. I agree, keep life simple, add yeast and some oak, then some MLF on the reds, then taste. If not okay, then test. Simpler the better...

Yes I do test every batch, normally up front, but my bucket wine is made for quicker drinking in most cases. Just learning what each single varietal brings to the table, in a simple way. Then the ones I really like I order a batch of grapes from Cal-ee-fornia, in the Fall.

Didn't know they were open until 5 on Saturday, they usually close at 12. If the carmenere is in I will be able to pick up around 2pm. I will call them tomorrow..

Correction on that email and pickup times. I was incorrect. The email was just to notify of their new hours. Sat open to 4 and closed on sundays.
Orders can be picked up at today through next week.

I was only going to check PH. Then when it came out to be really high I said screw it, these buckets are pre-balanced. (realized that it was from the cold and the acid was laying on the bottom and needed to be stirred up more). I made 4 buckets this year and I decided to have faith in the numbers and will not fully test till they are done.

Not to start huge debate but I'm not convinced juice buckets are balanced like kit juices are. I think it is just the varietal juice. How it's extracted I would like to know.

I can’t say for sure but that has been my understanding that they balance the juice. Interestingly I noticed on the bucket that it is packaged in Canada. Not sure what that means . Maybe they use flash detente.

Not to start huge debate but I'm not convinced juice buckets are balanced like kit juices are. I think it is just the varietal juice. How it's extracted I would like to know.

They are balanced. Admittedly so. But not in the way a kit is balanced. The extract the juice and will balance with small amounts of another appropriate varietal’s juice to get the Brix on target. And they add acid and sulphites as well. The Regina juice buckets give that information printed right on the can.
And their website also gets into some specifics of the process- tho not crazy specific. Still don’t know exactly how they macerate/extract. I wouldn’t be surprised if they implement some form of flash detentè like @zadvocate said.

No word from MD. Are we not going to see grapes this weekend?

Grape & Juice Update

• We will be receiving our final grape & juice delivery tomorrow morning.
  • The following will be arriving tomorrow:
  • All Chilean Juice ordered to date.
  • Website was shut down this morning.
  • The following Chilean Grape:
  • Carmenere
  • Cabernet Franc
  • Cabernet Sauvignon

Pick-ups will begin on Friday, May 11th at 11:00 AM
Pick-ups for crush & destem orders will also begin on Friday, May 11th at 11:00 AM
Pick-Up Times

• 5/11 - 11 AM - 5 PM
  • 5/12 - 9 AM - 5 PM
  • 5/13 - 9 AM - 5 PM
  • 5/14 - 5/18 - 9 10 AM - 4 PM
  • 5/19 - 9 AM - 5 PM
  • 5/20 - 9 AM - 5 PM

Crush & Destem

• We will not be crushing and destemming orders until the morning of Friday, May 11th.
  • If you would like grape crushed and have not scheduled an appointment please do so by tonight.
Crush & Destem Pricing
  • $25.00 – Crushing up to 10 lugs
  • $5.00 fee per varietal change
  • Excludes blends with varietals being crushed into same container
  • $1.00 per lug after initial 10

Harford Vineyard & Winery
www.harfordvineyard.com
[email protected]

I will be there Friday around 11am

@mainshipfred I can pick your Carm up. If you want to meet me at the house later in the afternoon, I'll crush/destem while I'm doing mine. Just bring a bucket.

Last edited:
Got my (and Fred's) Carmenere today. Fred came over this afternoon to help crush. Really great looking grapes. Brix right at 24. My pH meter is suddenly not working after 3 solid years. No complaints, it was $15. New one coming tomorrow, so I'll measure and adjust if needed. I think the grapes are a little light on acid, but don't want to adjust until confirmed with a meter.

My pH meter is suddenly not working after 3 solid years. No complaints, it was $15. New one coming tomorrow, so I'll measure and adjust if needed.

I’ve been wondering about that. I read most electrodes will last 12-18 months with proper care so I’m expecting it soon too. (Secretly hoping it dies so i can justify a sc-300. And a replacement electrode for ph55 is >half $ for whole meter)
Pretty bad timing for it to crap out. At least your able to get one next day. When my 1st cheaper one died I emailed them and they suggested to do an overnight soak in distilled white vinegar. Worked like new the next day.

Latest posts

Back