2018 Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceeaton

slowly going nuts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appears that Kevin got the website up a little earlier than I remember last year, just got an email. I didn't remember juices from South Africa last year, but I may have been sleep walking through the Spring.

Dear Winemakers,

• South African & Chilean Grape / Juice is now live and available for online purchasing!
  • South African Grape expected arrival dates:
  • Pinotage - End of March
  • Cabernet Sauvignon & Syrah - End of April
  • South African Juices / Chilean Grape and Juice expected arrival dates will be emailed out soon.
  • Please get orders in ASAP to ensure availability.
  • To order please click here.

Last edited:
I look at it as a great opportunity for some raw materials to make some wine and hone some skills. Are they the best grapes I can get, definitely not. Are they the cheap and available in the Spring, yes they are. Can I find anything cheaper for experimentation? Haven't found it yet!

Now, what am I making this Spring? I see juice buckets and grapes in my dreams tonight, as well as a Lombardi trophy...and a bunch of green jerseys.

Here's the rest of the email. Sounds like even thought the harvest will be smaller, the grapes are fine:

2018 Season Update
  • With widespread drought conditions continuing in the Western Cape wineries and viticulturists are predicting a much smaller 2018 crop compared to 2017 – and possibly the smallest since 2005. Despite the fact that the 2018 harvest might be much smaller, vineyards are in a very good condition due to frequent rainfall in October and November, as well as cooler weather up to the end of November. Vineyard growth is generally good and there have been no noteworthy occurrences of fungal diseases or pests thus far. All vineyard preparation is completed with only canopy management left to break out excessive leaves to allow optimal filtered light to reach the ripening bunches.

South African Wine Grapes 2018

• Pinotage
  • Breedekloof
  • The estate we source from in the Breedekloof received the Novare Trophy for South Africa’s top wine estate for two consecutive years, as well as the competition’s trophy for South Africa’s top terroir producer. This wine award honours the wines which truly portray South Africa’s different wine growing areas. The competition was created to define the various terroir types of the Cape.

Located in the upper slopes of the Breede River Valley at 820 – 1148ft above sea level, winters are cold with occasional snow until late in Spring. Temperatures during spring are low resulting in slower ripening. Significant temperature variation with warm days ensures good sugar development while the drop in temperature at night preserves the balance of natural acids in the grapes. The grapes coming to the US are planted in deep gravel, stony soil. The Pinotage produced on the estate is intensely perfumed with cedar-toned plums and dark berries, backed by a smooth-textured tannin structure.
  • Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Stellenbosch: Devon Valley
  • This boutique estate with vineyards against the valley slopes has richer Oakleaf and Tukulu soils and the benefit of warm ripening temperatures that come with vineyards situated in a valley.

The Cabernet Sauvignon clone is CS359 (of South African origin and selected for good quality grapes) and the estate wine from these grapes show classic full ripe Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics of deep red ripe fruit, notes of cassis and delicate mint and eucalyptus characters adding complexity.

The Shiraz clone is SH21 (South African selection selected for good quality grapes and small berries) and vinified grapes produce wine with an intense ruby red, rich concentrated colour and flavours of wild berries and raspberries with hints of pepper.

I'm probably going to go in on 3 pinotage. Nervous about it since so far I've been pretty so-so about my wine making but i can't pass this up

Here's the rest of the email. Sounds like even thought the harvest will be smaller, the grapes are fine:

2018 Season Update
  • With widespread drought conditions continuing in the Western Cape wineries and viticulturists are predicting a much smaller 2018 crop compared to 2017 – and possibly the smallest since 2005. Despite the fact that the 2018 harvest might be much smaller, vineyards are in a very good condition due to frequent rainfall in October and November, as well as cooler weather up to the end of November. Vineyard growth is generally good and there have been no noteworthy occurrences of fungal diseases or pests thus far. All vineyard preparation is completed with only canopy management left to break out excessive leaves to allow optimal filtered light to reach the ripening bunches.

South African Wine Grapes 2018

• Pinotage
  • Breedekloof
  • The estate we source from in the Breedekloof received the Novare Trophy for South Africa’s top wine estate for two consecutive years, as well as the competition’s trophy for South Africa’s top terroir producer. This wine award honours the wines which truly portray South Africa’s different wine growing areas. The competition was created to define the various terroir types of the Cape.

Located in the upper slopes of the Breede River Valley at 820 – 1148ft above sea level, winters are cold with occasional snow until late in Spring. Temperatures during spring are low resulting in slower ripening. Significant temperature variation with warm days ensures good sugar development while the drop in temperature at night preserves the balance of natural acids in the grapes. The grapes coming to the US are planted in deep gravel, stony soil. The Pinotage produced on the estate is intensely perfumed with cedar-toned plums and dark berries, backed by a smooth-textured tannin structure.
  • Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Stellenbosch: Devon Valley
  • This boutique estate with vineyards against the valley slopes has richer Oakleaf and Tukulu soils and the benefit of warm ripening temperatures that come with vineyards situated in a valley.

The Cabernet Sauvignon clone is CS359 (of South African origin and selected for good quality grapes) and the estate wine from these grapes show classic full ripe Cabernet Sauvignon characteristics of deep red ripe fruit, notes of cassis and delicate mint and eucalyptus characters adding complexity.

The Shiraz clone is SH21 (South African selection selected for good quality grapes and small berries) and vinified grapes produce wine with an intense ruby red, rich concentrated colour and flavours of wild berries and raspberries with hints of pepper.

Good find Craig, any luck with Chili?

Good find Craig, any luck with Chili?
I didn't find that, it fell in my lap. It was part of the email that Kevin and Teresa sent out to announce that the website was updated and "live". If I see any Chile type stuff, I'll post it here. Having more fun watching some video clips of the celebration last night down on Broad St in Phila.

Going with an 88/12 Carmenere/Petite Verdot field blend with Chilean grapes. May be my last Chilean - we'll see how it turns out.

@mainshipfred and @gitmo234 : Have you had a Pinotage before? I haven't, but from what I know, it is a 'unique' flavor profile. May want to try one or two before you pull the trigger.

• Located in the upper slopes of the Breede River Valley at 820 – 1148ft above sea level, winters are cold with occasional snow until late in Spring.

If you think those elevation numbers seem oddly exact, they evidently cited "250 m to 350 m" in the original. Sheesh.

If you think those elevation numbers seem oddly exact, they evidently cited "250 m to 350 m" in the original. Sheesh.

And now we can all sleep easy knowing how those numbers came to be. #NerdAlert.

Even tho spring harvest is a little more expensive and potentially lesser quality than fall I still plan on a batch as well. Simply because theres fresh grapes available and I want to make wine.
Im still brand new to making wine from grapes and I need to take advantage. Just a 6 gal batch. But as Craig said its an opportunity to gain experience and hone the skills. (Plus I bought a crusher and press last month and want to play with my new toys)

You’re fooling none of us with your alternate reasoning, you have new toys you wish to play with, own it!!! Seriously though, hope you have a blast crushing and pressing, it’ll be fun.

Given the scenario you would be no different! I also have a new house -so a new wine room as well. But A lot has to happen between now and then. Like moving my entire setup to the new location- full Demi’s/carboys and all.
The wine room build won’t be started by then, but the 1st crush will give me great insight on how to maximize the function of the space. As long as I get my gear in and install a utility sink I’ll be ready to rock and roll.
And I’ll just stall my grape pickup until after boatboy Jim records some accurate so2 levels since our suppliers sell the same grapes! Got a feeling I’ll be skipping so2 at crush again.

I missed out on Pinotage last year 'cause I waited to long to reserve, ended up with SA Cab Sauv instead and was not disappointed. Will do my best to get some this year. I will be getting Chilean grapes again this year despite my malbec issues. I have a Carmenere that is going on two years old, one of my first all grape reds and the only one I didn't put through MLF and it still tastes like a young wine.

@Boatboy24 I like your carmenere/petite verdot blend. Something similar might be my Chilean effort this year

@Ajmassa5983 yeah, you know you couldn't get through spring harvest no matter what the cost without putting your new equipment to some use.

@pgentile I know you had problems with the Malbec but I think that’s what I’m going with this year. The guy who sold me the equipment gave me a bottle of 2016 Chilean Malbec made from Gino Pintos grapes and it was outstanding.
I’ll be reaching out to him to pick his brain on the particulars.

Latest posts

Back