20 gallon fermenter problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, I need your help on something. I have a 20 gallon fermenter which I think has a small fracture producing a slow leak. I made an 18 gallon batch of a red and noticed some puddling under the fermenter. This was particularly apparent when he fermenter was moved. I believe there is a small crack but for the life of me, I cannot locate it. I guess I could fill the container to about 2 inches or so with a colored tracer liquid but I was considering inverting the fermenter and applying a coat of auto fiberglass to the bottom. Does anyone see a danger in this? I am not sure if it would react with fermenting wine or not. I realize I could buy another fermenter but I am cheap.

I have a triple batch of Pinot Grigio waiting in the wings and my bride is getting impatient as her current supply dwindles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like it has a leak if you have a puddle Rocky. Get thee to the Big Orange Box and pick up a 20G Brute for $20 and sleep better at night. :sm

Put it over a really bright light in a dark room and you should be able to see the crack. Maybe use aquarium sealant?
Considering the $ you will pay for any patching material a new Brute at HD is only about $20.

Thanks, Friends. I kind of knew that was the answer but I wanted to see if I over looked anything. By the time I mess around trying to find and patch the leak, I could have a new fermenter. I think I will hit the Home Depot.

Just curious. I didnt know if it was some type of high dollar fermenter that you really wanted to repair. If so I have a real gift when it comes to making long lasting repairs. Sounds like going and buying a new Brute type container would be best. Home Depot has them listed for $20 on their website. Any repair would cost 1/2 that in materials alone and be temporary at best.

RR

What does it need to say on the bottom of the container to be sure it is food safe?

Hi Rocky,

I believe you can get a repair kit if it is made from polypropylene, failing that I would advise a new one or even better glass, I use Elderberry Home brew, They are very helpful and very cheap , they even deliver UK wide, give them a call Tel:0191 2513907 the staff there are very very very good, I would rate the shop and staff 5 star +, hope you get sorted.

Sounds like it has a leak if you have a puddle Rocky. Get thee to the Big Orange Box and pick up a 20G Brute for $20 and sleep better at night. :sm

I could not agree more!!!

Rocky, What you will save is not worth the risk. Why spend money on a repair kit when that same money could go toward a brand new bucket?

I am sure you are right, Guys and I will buy a 20 Gallon Brute. I was not going to spend the money on the repair kit because I have the stuff on hand. I was in the vintage car hobby for many years and have lots of that kind of stuff around.

Where should I look for the NSF stamp?? I need something to ferment 2 buckets of frozen must and this might work well. I've been doing them separately in 2 buckets

If you go to google and search for food grade containers there is a URL that tells you which brute containers and lids are food grade. I don't have the link with me or I would post it.

The rim of the container has the markings.

Wild Duk said:
Where should I look for the NSF stamp?? I need something to ferment 2 buckets of frozen must and this might work well. I've been doing them separately in 2 buckets

It's located on the bottom, but also may be on the rim. The 32 gallon I just purchased it was only on the bottom, my 20 has it located in both places.

scrap the cracked fermenter, even if you repair it you will have an area for bacteria to harbor in. Go with the Brut, a local winery uses them for their excess wine.

If you can find the leak, or crack, I've been successful plastic welding with solder gun or iron and trimming some of the same plastic from an edge of the container. I've repaired multiple leaks that way with permanent results.

I was cleaning up my shop and found some stuff I used on old cars. Thought I would give it a try on the fermenter. Looks like it will work out. I am really a frugal person, and I do believe in the old adage from my childhood: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

100_0545.jpg

100_0546.jpg

Latest posts

Back