20 gallon fermenter problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought... how about just putting a plastic garbage can liner, (garbage bag) in before you add your must.

RR

Okay, Okay! I will scrape together $20 and buy a Brute! Geesh! You guys have to stop confusing me with logic and facts! :)

Greg, thanks for the information. I should have researched that before applying the coating.

RR, that would work but I have a spigot on the fermenter to remove the wine. I guess I could work around that but I think I will just buy a new Brute.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Now, what am I going to do with this thing. I could use a larger waste container in my shop....

Good Job, Rocky. I feel your pain, I'm frugal too. I bought two just like yours since those yummy looking Dragons Blood recipes have me drooling.

Pam in cinti

Hey Guys and Gals, I need your help on something. I have a 20 gallon fermenter which I think has a small fracture producing a slow leak. I made an 18 gallon batch of a red and noticed some puddling under the fermenter. This was particularly apparent when he fermenter was moved. I believe there is a small crack but for the life of me, I cannot locate it. I guess I could fill the container to about 2 inches or so with a colored tracer liquid but I was considering inverting the fermenter and applying a coat of auto fiberglass to the bottom. Does anyone see a danger in this? I am not sure if it would react with fermenting wine or not. I realize I could buy another fermenter but I am cheap.

I have a triple batch of Pinot Grigio waiting in the wings and my bride is getting impatient as her current supply dwindles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dude, do you need to borrow some Pinot???? :)

Rocky, I love Pinot Grigio. Italian or American? I love tart, so it's Italian all the way for me. If you are shooting for Italian which kit did you like best of those you've made? I've never yet tried a kit (there's that frugal thing again), but I've been really happy making cranberry or cranberry combo wines (not cran grape tho, didn't care for that tho I did bottle and put away to age as I learned my lesson the easy way reading here how much a wine can change over a couple years).

Pam in cinti

Hi Rocky,

I believe you can get a repair kit if it is made from polypropylene, failing that I would advise a new one or even better glass, I use Elderberry Home brew, They are very helpful and very cheap , they even deliver UK wide, give them a call Tel:0191 2513907 the staff there are very very very good, I would rate the shop and staff 5 star +, hope you get sorted.

JBrewer, I am not thinking Rocky will be willing to call. He lives in the United States, not United Kingdom so the call would be a little on the costly side for him.

Rocky, I love Pinot Grigio. Italian or American? I love tart, so it's Italian all the way for me. If you are shooting for Italian which kit did you like best of those you've made? I've never yet tried a kit (there's that frugal thing again), but I've been really happy making cranberry or cranberry combo wines (not cran grape tho, didn't care for that tho I did bottle and put away to age as I learned my lesson the easy way reading here how much a wine can change over a couple years).

Pam in cinti

Hi Pam, I am using the WineExpert Selection International Italian Pinot Grigio. I have made Pinot Grigio a number of times and I would have to say that the Mosto Bello juice (from Italy) was the best. I just did not get any juice this year. I have been very pleased with the WineExpert wines that I have made and thought I would give their Pinot Grigio a shot. As far as wine changing over a couple of years, I am probably not the one to ask. Nothing lasts for "a couple of years" in my cellar!

Thanks for your info Rocky. I"ll file that away for when I'm ready to try a kit since PG is prob the only thing that could tempt me to buy one. I sure understand that aging is hard work. I am just now starting to choose fruit and yeast combos that should improve over time as I think I have enuf early drinking wine available to keep invaders away from the poor defenseless little bottles all by themselves in the dark lonely basement. I still will make a few Dragons Blood (I plan to call it Kwikee as family would be a bit skittish over the blood reference).

I enjoy reading your posts and have learned quite a bit thru you. Thanks for sharing.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back