One Gallon Skeeter Pee experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConAcide

Junior
Reaction score
I've looked around and seen very few people doing this. Most suggest 5 gallon batches because this stuff goes so quick, but because I love experimenting and I have a plethora of 1G carboys, that's what I'm making.

I'm impatient, so I abandoned the 24-48 hr waiting period called for in the SP recipe. Here's what I did

• Made invert sugar with 3.5 cups of sugar, 1.5 cups of water, and 1.5 cups of Lemon Juice. Brought to a boil and then temp dropped to simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Topped up to one gallon with cool water
  • Aerated vigorously every 20-30 mins for 4 hours.
  • At hour 3, added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer.
  • Hour 4, pitched 1 packet of Red Star champagne yeast. I have a slurry from a banana wine I could've used but I wanted to see if I could do this as "last minute" as possible
  • Threw on airlock and went to bed

Woke up this morning roughly 8 hours after pitching yeast and fermentation has kicked up. Will update as I go. My hydrometer rolled off the counter this morning, so I'm doing this batch without a hydrometer, I'm pretty excited to go in for a blind taste test at the end of fermentation.

Edit: If anyone is interested, I'm fermenting this at 65F. I usually shoot for around 68F-72F but it's unseasonably hot in my state right now so we've got the AC cranked.

Last edited:
I've looked around and seen very few people doing this. Most suggest 5 gallon batches because this stuff goes so quick, but because I love experimenting and I have a plethora of 1G carboys, that's what I'm making.

I'm impatient, so I abandoned the 24-48 hr waiting period called for in the SP recipe. Here's what I did

• Made invert sugar with 3.5 cups of sugar, 1.5 cups of water, and 1.5 cups of Lemon Juice. Brought to a boil and then temp dropped to simmer for 45 minutes.
  • Topped up to one gallon with cool water
  • Aerated vigorously every 20-30 mins for 4 hours.
  • At hour 3, added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer.
  • Hour 4, pitched 1 packet of Red Star champagne yeast. I have a slurry from a banana wine I could've used but I wanted to see if I could do this as "last minute" as possible
  • Threw on airlock and went to bed

Woke up this morning roughly 8 hours after pitching yeast and fermentation has kicked up. Will update as I go. My hydrometer rolled off the counter this morning, so I'm doing this batch without a hydrometer, I'm pretty excited to go in for a blind taste test at the end of fermentation.

Edit: If anyone is interested, I'm fermenting this at 65F. I usually shoot for around 68F-72F but it's unseasonably hot in my state right now so we've got the AC cranked.

How did it turn out?

Back