‘20 Spring wines (w/ crush pics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Ajmassa , did you toss your press skins back into the red wine fermenters?
Damn right I did! Because ‘Saigneè’ is a nice fancy word for the label. Lol.
I ended up with a substantial amount pressing 8 lugs for the rosè to be sure I had enough. Kept 9gal of ~11gal of juice. But would have been a large % of skins to add back so I split it up to not overload the Malbec.
50% skins to the Malbec. (Bumped it from 27gal to 30gal). Can definitely feel the difference in juice/skins ratio when punching too.
Other 50% split between the other 2 cans will definitely help those wines a lot too I’m hoping.

Great pictures! Just a couple of comments:

You are lucky your dad is young enough to help you. Mine is in his 80s and I'm sure would pitch in but not the stamina you need for all day wine making.

Your Rosè looks perfect. I think you hit the color perfectly. You may have to protect the color with a bit of sulfite right after fermentation. And Keep any mixing tools that might have MLB from your other wine away from it. I think that's why my rosè went through MLB. I compensated by adding a bit of Tartaric at the end. And, I think the spousal approval thing will be pretty assured once she tries the rosè. You got that.

Earwigs: They are everywhere in California grapes. Those and spiders, other bugs, small lizards, garter snakes etc. That is the Terrior! They are unidentifiable after fermentation so, if you've ever had wine from California anyway, you've been drinking Earwig and spider juice.

Volume: That's a lot of wine! Excellent work.

Avante: That the same stock I sent to you and Fred? If so, it's well traveled!

It is! Plus I had some of my own leftover too. My 80g order showed up today. So close! Lodi labs stuck a 2 year expiration on it so will be used.
My dad’s interest has picked up since I’ve been diving deeper in recent years and he started making his own juice again last year (with my direction of course!). Luckily timing worked out Friday. It went well enough for calls to make an annual event. And my other 2 brothers breaking my balls for not inviting them! (To my credit this wasn’t exactly planned in advance. Plus corona & stuff.)
Btw that’s exactly what I told my workers. That the bugs are just part of the terroir! And that Yellowtail is probably 60% bug. Get over it. Lol.
The rosè I’m really curious how the color ends up. I may crowbar in a tartaric addition right now actually and hope for the best.

The trio of reds are now chugging away on full blast. Cap reforming in just a minute or 2. Color looking excellent. The Malbec in ‘18 was a super inky deep purple and this looks to be no different. My last ferment ended up lighter than I preferred so this is nice to see.
6AD1CFA3-7C59-46E0-88FC-AB079C2C5641.jpeg

Question on the rosè. I’ve been treating it as if it were a white wine with the additives, the yeast, o2 exposure etc. But I’m still basically winging it and don’t know for sure of anything.
I want to knock down the ph as @ibglowin pointed out. Adjusting acid during the yeasts lag phase isn’t something I’d ever do normally, but is it bad? Aside from disturbing the yeast, i don’t see any reason to NOT do it. It’s just tartaric. It’s in the 3.5-3.6 range. I’m gonna toss in maybe .75-.1g/L real quick— Unless it’s a bad idea. What do you think?
Currently the surfaces have a small amount of fizz forming VERY VERY gradually. 247D29DF-793A-45EA-B1D1-FD98C24436AF.jpeg

You could always add 1/4 of what you think you need then check post ferment. Baby steps won't make the pH change too much and possibly shock the yeast. That's the conservative approach. If it were me I'd do the 1/4 and check the pH the next day, realizing the the fermenting wine might give you a faulty reading, but check it anyway. If it didn't go low enough, add the another 1/4 the next day. Check, if it needs to go lower another 1/4. I've found that I usually need 1/2 total of what I initially thought I would. Don't ask why because I don't know, always seems to work out that way.

Sort of like with fresh water tropical fish, if I was at 7.2 and the fish preferred a lower pH I'd make the change over several days, never had a fish die that way. I have made a big change and found them all belly up the next morning.

The earlier you make the change, the better. As the alcohol level rises, much like with MLB, it is harder for the yeast to adjust. They are already getting stressed out by the rising alcohol levels.

So I'm winging this answer too, but I would add the acid no problem. You're looking to make a crisp wine and a little extra acid should be beneficial. If I'm thinking about this right, you're at TA 5.3 now, so getting close to pH 6 is likely a win.

Looks like we all have been tipping the carboy today. pH 6 would be a horrible thing. Increasing the Ta is a good thing.

Looks like all went well, despite the challenges. And Dad (or who I assume is Dad) looks to be super happy with the crush festivities. Thinking your wines will be just fine. And the color on that Rose looks great so far.

Thanks or the insight.

The rosè was sitting at 3.58ph
with a TA of 4.05.
All readings double checked.

So if minimum I want the TA is at least 6 then that’s a 2g/L addition And would bring the ph to 3.38....theoretically*

Full theoretical dose is 2g/L
So I added .75g/L just now.
Will check it again tomorrow.

Damn right I did! Because ‘Saigneè’ is a nice fancy word for the label. Lol.
I ended up with a substantial amount pressing 8 lugs for the rosè to be sure I had enough. Kept 9gal of ~11gal of juice. But would have been a large % of skins to add back so I split it up to not overload the Malbec.
50% skins to the Malbec. (Bumped it from 27gal to 30gal). Can definitely feel the difference in juice/skins ratio when punching too.
Other 50% split between the other 2 cans will definitely help those wines a lot too I’m hoping.
I suspect you’ll be very pleased with the results!

2020 Chilean wine season has commenced!

I’m always exhausted after the work from a crush wknd Despite having extra help on Friday for once I was still left with all the prep and the cleanup. You frozen must guys don’t know what you’re missin! Lol
I may have been slightly overzealous with my order, but I was antsy since it’s been a while—fall ‘18 I did 2 big batches (1 at a time). A Paso Robles cab sauv clone#8. And recreated the ol’ family blend Went au natural with muscat Alicante & OVZ. Those wines are bottled and in rotation.
All in all was a fantastic weekend with the family. And all agreed to grow this spring crush day into a bigger annual family event ‘@JohnT style’ w/ more fam & friends and some proper food—though the burgers & dogs on the grill did hit the spot. And so did my ‘18 Chilean malbec we enjoyed while working. (Btw John the C/D still goin strong. She’s old and needs some convincing but she’s a workhorse!)
View attachment 61032View attachment 61033View attachment 61034View attachment 61035View attachment 61036View attachment 61037View attachment 61038View attachment 61039View attachment 61040View attachment 61041
Where are you buying your grapes from?
What about the bugs?

Looks great. My numbers for the Chilean Cabernet were similar to yours. Initial ph was 3.71 on two separate batches and my TA was at 3 g/l. I made two separate additions to my must and had them cold soaking for 3 days. After my second addiction on the third day I could only get my TA up to 4 g/l and my ph was at 3.37. This is my first go at grapes but those were the numbers I ended with on two 11 gallon batches. I kept bringing it down because it didn’t taste very acidic at all. We will see it’s my first batch so it’s a learning experience for me. I always love reading your threads.

Looks great. My numbers for the Chilean Cabernet were similar to yours. Initial ph was 3.71 on two separate batches and my TA was at 3 g/l. I made two separate additions to my must and had them cold soaking for 3 days. After my second addiction on the third day I could only get my TA up to 4 g/l and my ph was at 3.37. This is my first go at grapes but those were the numbers I ended with on two 11 gallon batches. I kept bringing it down because it didn’t taste very acidic at all. We will see it’s my first batch so it’s a learning experience for me. I always love reading your threads.

I never even rechecked the TA on the Malbec after my addition. pre fermentation I don’t wanna sacrifice a good ph for a better TA anyway. Also don’t wanna end up playing chemist and getting in over my head.

True TAs were kinda low, but call me an optimist. Dialing in the ph, along with fermentation and then MLF things tend to fall into place.
For example My ‘18 cab was a 4.0Ph with a high TA at crush limiting the adjusting but still ended up a decent wine. Just with a higher ph.

Still weird your TA is being so stubborn though. Based on your additions Was the ph moving more than it ought to be or the TA moving less?
Because on the rosè they moved in unison for me.
Ph from 3.61 to 3.4
TA from 4.05 to 6.00
Moved ~2g/L with a .75g/L addition.

The Malbec moved from 3.83ph to 3.66 with a 1.25g/L addition. Initial TA was also 4.05. Wherever it ends up is up to the wine gods now. I’m hopeful.
3.37ph and 4.0ta seems fishy to me though.
Crazy thought, when testing TA did you use .1n NaOH and possibly forget to multiply by 1.5x for the final #? So instead of 4.0 is actually 6.0TA?

Where are you buying your grapes from?
What about the bugs?
Not too many places around that sell spring grapes. I feel lucky to be close to one. It’s in south jersey called Gino Pintos.
I know there’s another joint near Pittsburgh that sells spring. Another big hub Harford Winery in Md used to but closed up the homewinemaking end of their business a few years back.
And what about the bugs? Unavoidable in the produce business I bet. We have the luxury of sorting by hand and keeping them out of the wine. The big boys mechanical process probably not so much.
“Incidental tannin”

Looking back at my notes I had the numbers a little off.

my first addition was 1.3g/l

Batch A
PH 3.72-3.55
TA 3.0-3.6

Batch B
PH 3.72-3.51
TA 3.0 - 3.8

I tasted and better

My second addition was about .8g/l

Batch A
PH 3.55- 3.37
TA 3.6 - 4.4

Batch B
PH 3.51- 3.32
TA 3.8 - 4.4

I followed the instructions using a new vinmetrica 300 with all brand new chemicals.

Back