‘20 Spring wines (w/ crush pics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I followed the instructions using a new vinmetrica 300 with all brand new chemicals.
All the TA’s seem low
Before canceling out this possibility just thrill me. Which chems and which instructions matter too
There are different types of chemicals they sell for the TA tests and they call for different instructions.
The .2n NaOH requires a 15ml sample. ml used = TA
But The .1n NaOH requires a 5ml sample. And amount of ml’s used is then multiplied by 1.5.

For my titrate it was .13n and I multiplied the used titrate by 2. I also used a 5 ml sample of must that was lightly blended and filtered through a coffee filter. All and all I’ll cross my fingers and hope all works out. Seeing that you started MLF I may do the same I just pitched the yeast last night around 5 and I don’t have a full cap yet but is on its way everything is moving along well. I have to look back and see if you added on first punch down.

Looking back at my notes I had the numbers a little off.

my first addition was 1.3g/l

Batch A
PH 3.72-3.55
TA 3.0-3.6

Batch B
PH 3.72-3.51
TA 3.0 - 3.8

I tasted and better

My second addition was about .8g/l

Batch A
PH 3.55- 3.37
TA 3.6 - 4.4

Batch B
PH 3.51- 3.32
TA 3.8 - 4.4

I followed the instructions using a new vinmetrica 300 with all brand new chemicals.

Based on those pH numbers, I'd ignore TA and move forward.

Also I add 50ppm SO2 and had a free SO2 of 19 in one batch and 21 in the second
Good to know about existing grape so2. I’m assuming our grapes are from the same source (great profile picture btw). And should be fine with a strong malo.
By the time I added the malo it was about 36hrs after pitching yeast. No real hard fast rules here. I like the coinnoculation tho because it finishes fast when starting in that low alcohol environment. And I’m just sure to feed nutrients to both the yeast and the malo.

Everyone probably differs a little. I did the 1st punchdown. Then hit it with a fermaidK dose. About 2 hours later I did the malo and some malo nutrient.
Will do the 2nd nutrient dose whenever I catch it somewhere between 1.070-1.040. And another shot of opti-malo after pressing and racking off the gross lees.

For what it’s worth I refer to this like ALL the time. Have it printed out too. I know @Boatboy24 Jim does as well because I stole the idea from him lol. My Winemaking Bible
Between that and the priceless info I get from the forum are basically all I’ll ever need

Looking back at my notes I had the numbers a little off.

my first addition was 1.3g/l

Batch A
PH 3.72-3.55
TA 3.0-3.6

Batch B
PH 3.72-3.51
TA 3.0 - 3.8

I tasted and better

My second addition was about .8g/l

Batch A
PH 3.55- 3.37
TA 3.6 - 4.4

Batch B
PH 3.51- 3.32
TA 3.8 - 4.4

I have had suspect TA numbers in the past. I suspect my problem was that my wine sample and/or chemicals were not at room temperature. I have seen TA testing directions that state that they should be room temperature. While I cannot confirm this, I suspect a cold sample will provide a false low TA reading.

Now, I skip TA testing and adjust my acid to get a pH of 3.4 for red wines.

Last edited:
All the TA’s seem low
Before canceling out this possibility just thrill me. Which chems and which instructions matter too
There are different types of chemicals they sell for the TA tests and they call for different instructions.
The .2n NaOH requires a 15ml sample. ml used = TA
But The .1n NaOH requires a 5ml sample. And amount of ml’s used is then multiplied by 1.5.

As long as you can accurately measure, the amount of wine doesn't really matter. Neither does the concentration of NaOH as long as you know it. If you use 10ml for instance, all the 1's are pretty easy to multiply and divide

^^^^^^^^ 75x {(ml NaOH) x (concentration NaOH)}
TA= ___________________________________
^^^^^^^^^^^^ (ml of wine)

And incase the format gets messed up from Chrome to the server:

TA = {75 x(ml NaOH) x (concentration NaOH)} / (ml of wine)

This assumes you titrate up to the standard pH 8.2

edit: Tried to correct format

Good to know about existing grape so2. I’m assuming our grapes are from the same source (great profile picture btw). And should be fine with a strong malo.
By the time I added the malo it was about 36hrs after pitching yeast. No real hard fast rules here. I like the coinnoculation tho because it finishes fast when starting in that low alcohol environment. And I’m just sure to feed nutrients to both the yeast and the malo.

Everyone probably differs a little. I did the 1st punchdown. Then hit it with a fermaidK dose. About 2 hours later I did the malo and some malo nutrient.
Will do the 2nd nutrient dose whenever I catch it somewhere between 1.070-1.040. And another shot of opti-malo after pressing and racking off the gross lees.

For what it’s worth I refer to this like ALL the time. Have it printed out too. I know @Boatboy24 Jim does as well because I stole the idea from him lol. My Winemaking Bible
Between that and the priceless info I get from the forum are basically all I’ll ever need

I will definitely do coinoculation this time around. I will be using CH16.I was a bit nervous with the SO2 levels. I read that 18 was about the limit for it. Looking at your pictures my grapes look to be the same.

Attachments

• D699978C-BCB5-43FC-AFAB-79830D816729.jpeg
    D699978C-BCB5-43FC-AFAB-79830D816729.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
Surprised how high up this sucker has gotten. The extra skins are definitely noticed. 30gal of must is now flirting with the 40gal mark. the fermentation is chugging along with temps rising and SG dropping.
Now at 72°-74° and 1/3 complete.0E6F657E-DA73-4CC4-9B47-688843DBDB75.jpeg8BBD40B3-CC5B-4232-9213-14558A1C134B.jpeg

If someone was going to try and stretch some days by dropping temps with frozen jugs then now would be the time I guess. I remember reading ‘Muscles @Mac60 ’ did this a couple years ago in his large tubs with success.
Never did this before but it’s worth a shot since Avante yeast moves quick.
I’ll shoot for maybe 70°ish. idk I’d just like 5-6 days instead of 3-4.
anyone else using frozen jugs in their must with success?

As long as you can accurately measure, the amount of wine doesn't really matter. Neither does the concentration of NaOH as long as you know it. If you use 10ml for instance, all the 1's are pretty easy to multiply and divide

^^^^^^^^ 75x {(ml NaOH) x (concentration NaOH)}
TA= ___________________________________
^^^^^^^^^^^^ (ml of wine)

And incase the format gets messed up from Chrome to the server:

TA = {75 x(ml NaOH) x (concentration NaOH)} / (ml of wine)

This assumes you titrate up to the standard pH 8.2

edit: Tried to correct format

Using The second formula my final TA would be 4.29 g/l but I didn’t check the temp of the must when I tested it. I did blend it and filtered it through a coffee filter so it was sitting out for a while when it was filtering. I used 2.2 ml of .13n Titraite with a 5 ml sample. I have been know to mess a few things up so we will see.

Surprised how high up this sucker has gotten. The extra skins are definitely noticed. 30gal of must is now flirting with the 40gal mark. the fermentation is chugging along with temps rising and SG dropping.
Now at 72°-74° and 1/3 complete.

If someone was going to try and stretch some days by dropping temps with frozen jugs then now would be the time I guess. I remember reading ‘Muscles @Mac60 ’ did this a couple years ago in his large tubs with success.
Never did this before but it’s worth a shot since Avante yeast moves quick.
I’ll shoot for maybe 70°ish. idk I’d just like 5-6 days instead of 3-4.
anyone else using frozen jugs in their must with success?

I don't think you're slowing down that freight train now. And I wouldn't risk it since you don't want a stall. Your enzyme treatment will provide plenty of body. Beautiful fermentation by the way. You'll be close to 5 days and as long as it still forms a cap, I think you're fine. My Avante ferments went fast too and honestly your temps look IDEAL.

I don't think you're slowing down that freight train now. And I wouldn't risk it since you don't want a stall. Your enzyme treatment will provide plenty of body. Beautiful fermentation by the way. You'll be close to 5 days and as long as it still forms a cap, I think you're fine. My Avante ferments went fast too and honestly your temps look IDEAL.
Is that a challenge?

I have been know to mess a few things up so we will see.
Yea that’s why I try to keep the lab stuff as simple as possible. It can become overwhelming when ya add on all the extra testing and extra adjustments to the process for someone with zero chemistry background aside from high school.
And to be honest I’m still intimidated by the Vinmetrica. 1st few times I used it for so2 the # just kept moving. I got frustrated after a couple attempts and haven’t revisited it since.

Is that a challenge?

Not at all. I'm just saying what I would do! In fact, all my ferments are done at garage temperature and that's about where you are now.

One of the advantages of the Avante yeast is it's heat tolerance. So I think you're good without complicating things.

But I'm stoked for your awesome winemaking at a time when our grapes are still being pollinated.

Just make sure the jugs don't leak as they thaw (check the tops and volume) or you could possibly ruin your batch by diluting it with (unacidulated) water.

If someone was going to try and stretch some days by dropping temps with frozen jugs then now would be the time I guess. I’d just like 5-6 days instead of 3-4. anyone else using frozen jugs in their must with success?

I am having he same issue with my Pinot. First run Ph was 3.85 and TA 2.8. I added total of 30 grams and it came down to 3.5 and TA of 4. I'm making this a rose and may consider adding some more.

I am having he same issue with my Pinot. First run Ph was 3.85 and TA 2.8. I added total of 30 grams and it came down to 3.5 and TA of 4. I'm making this a rose and may consider adding some more.
I’d probably be thinking the same thing. My numbers were a little less severe then yours though. 3.6 & 4. Adjusted to 3.4 & 6. So I was able to dial in pretty close beforehand and can make a minor adjustment by taste down the road if need be. Right now it’s a nice slow and steady ferment. I pitched Sunday night. As of last night was at 1.063.

It’s a tough spot. You definitely want those numbers more ideal but how much added acid is too much ya know?
I would wanna get the TA up as much as I could while keeping ph in low 3’s. And 100% would cold stabilize down the road.

I’d probably be thinking the same thing. My numbers were a little less severe then yours though. 3.6 & 4. Adjusted to 3.4 & 6. So I was able to dial in pretty close beforehand and can make a minor adjustment by taste down the road if need be. Right now it’s a nice slow and steady ferment. I pitched Sunday night. As of last night was at 1.063.

It’s a tough spot. You definitely want those numbers more ideal but how much added acid is too much ya know?
I would wanna get the TA up as much as I could while keeping ph in low 3’s. And 100% would cold stabilize down the road.

I’m going to probably be pressing tomorrow as I’m down to about 2 Brix with my must and I have to say these batches are the best tasting I have ever made. I do get a little tartaric acid feeling in the back of my throat when I tast it tho, it’s not terribly strong but is still noticeable. I still have 2 18lbs lugs of Petit Verdot that will be coming in next week that I was going to be adding into this blend. My question is should I do an acid adjustments to the Petit Verdot must prior to fermentation or should I make no adjustments as it’s going to be added to the Cabernet? I know I’m jumping the gun as I don’t know the ph of the Petit Verdot I am just presuming they may be similar. I will have a total of 12 (18lbs) lugs of Cabernet and 2 (18lbs) of Petite Verdot in this blend. I will check my current ph and ta after I press the Cabernet tomorrow.

I’m going to probably be pressing tomorrow as I’m down to about 2 Brix with my must and I have to say these batches are the best tasting I have ever made. I do get a little tartaric acid feeling in the back of my throat when I tast it tho, it’s not terribly strong but is still noticeable. I still have 2 18lbs lugs of Petit Verdot that will be coming in next week that I was going to be adding into this blend. My question is should I do an acid adjustments to the Petit Verdot must prior to fermentation or should I make no adjustments as it’s going to be added to the Cabernet? I know I’m jumping the gun as I don’t know the ph of the Petit Verdot I am just presuming they may be similar. I will have a total of 12 (18lbs) lugs of Cabernet and 2 (18lbs) of Petite Verdot in this blend. I will check my current ph and ta after I press the Cabernet tomorrow.
I got some petite Verdot too. I bought 4 lugs total so I could ferment each juice bucket with 36lbs of PV.

I’m pretty sure I took some solo measurements on it before mixing. I’ll have a look at my notes and post what it was later on tonight. I should have Brix° and ph logged.
And yeah regardless of blending I’d still probably adjust it beforehand if needed. And could even overcompensate in the PV if the Cabs acid needs a boost.

Latest posts

Back