‘20 Spring wines (w/ crush pics)

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Mario Dinis

Reaction score

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
@cmason1957 @CDrew yeah you can get a nice idea of the color in the hydrometer pic. Now mind you this was with absolutely zero skins time. Literally was just the time it took to run thru the crusher and then to load and press. So I’m glad I made that accidental decision lol.
I did one rosé kit before and that also looked more orange. This Malbec one I’ve definitely done a 180°. Thought I had to scrap plans to now feeling quite lucky w/ how it’s looking. Really curious to see how it ends up clearing.

couple questions - Craig- They are much darker than I realized. were yours still light enough in a clear bottle on par with some darker rose’s?
And did you guys have any extra steps done to the wine after AF? I just planned to rack and sulphite, nothing special.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Can't tell you about in the bottles. I hope to convince the SWMBO that we should bottle them. They are crystal clear, been backsweetened every so slightly. We added about half a pound of sugar to the St. Vincent and a bit less to the Chambourcin. Just enough to balance it out nicely. I haven't measured, but I believe both would still be considered dry. Nothing special done after AF. Rack, sulphite, filter. Don't think I added any clearing agents, even.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
@Ajmassa
AJ, what is the steel U-bolt in the pressing block for?
I bought my press used from a local listing online. The surface blocks that came with it had heavy duty metal handles lagged into it. Otherwise it’s a bear to remove. So when I had to replace the blocks I used some metal cabinet handles I had saved from a job to mimic it. (I’m a total packrat. Actually packratting as I write this). And they’re placed in a way for the first set of square blocks to go in parallel without hitting the handles.
Can see it more clearly in these couple pics 47839F94-426D-47B8-ACE7-AA5B4FF3601A.jpeg46DBA306-AD9F-4FA5-BFE6-7F424D01B664.jpeg
* packratting a few sections of rock solid butcher block here up for grabs. One is a solid 2-1/4” x 24”deep and another 1-3/4” x 30”depth. No clue what I’ll use em for but I know I’ll use them.
1505918E-F219-4517-B807-D98C46A442D1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Update on this fun Chilean season

Rosé was down to about 1.000SG after 11days since pitching D47. I stirred the lees daily and added one shot of fermaid-O early on. Racked into my ‘6.5gal’ carboy (actual vol 6.9gal) and a 1/2gal jug. Now w/ 7.5gal of some very nice looking rosé.👌🏻 Still in AF so no plans for kmeta any time soon.
F9A8D0CE-0350-4DA1-A94E-11BE72B3E4E6.jpeg

The Malbec finished at .993 and CF & CS both at .994. All now off the gross lees.
Malbec- 24gal
CS/CF blend - 14.26gal (x1 demi)
unblended- 3gal ea.
Before racking I was seeing visible ML activity on everything, press wine carboys being the most vigorous of them. I like to do a baseline chroma test right away to compare progress later. With co-innoc my baseline test sometimes already looks close to complete.
B1330157-F8BE-4251-88A8-65E39B0A2682.jpeg

Sadly all the fun of a new wine season is almost over for a while. ———But there IS one more thing left once mlf is done....breaking in the new 50L Hungarian barrel!

Gonna be like removing a woman’s pantyhose (or yoga pants). You can kinda see what’s goin on underneath. But then again....ya kinda can’t. And I’m anxious to remove it so I can offer some TLC to what lies underneath 😁

D1B1A970-543A-43CF-A3F6-CB146A5CDE66.jpeg

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna be like removing a woman’s pantyhose (or yoga pants). You can kinda see what’s goin on underneath. But then again....ya kinda can’t. And I’m anxious to remove it so I can offer some TLC to what lies underneath 😁
Yeah. Well. So. I’ve started typing too many things that were just not appropriate, but you have fun my friend!!!

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
C3DD72F7-8ABB-4036-9830-2FF1E17D187E.jpeg
MLF looking good. The way I was instructed was using VP-41 bacteria (or another proven winner) hydrated with 50g ActiML added at 1st punchdown w/ some opti-malo nutrient. 100% success rate. And if it ain’t broke....
The knowledge I’ve gained from wmt members has been invaluable. 🙏🏻
I tested the rosè to have a non-mlf sample for comparison. The malic spots aren’t all definitive but the rosé’s faint lactic spot I think shows the others have made great progress so far. Going to let all the reds go another month before testing again

In the meantime will prep the barrel & build a stand. The CF/CS blend is 1st in line so the Malbec can get a nice lengthy barrel run.

Last edited:

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
View attachment 61520
MLF looking good. The way I was instructed was using VP-41 bacteria (or another proven winner) hydrated with 50g ActiML added at 1st punchdown w/ some opti-malo nutrient. 100% success rate. And if it ain’t broke....
The knowledge I’ve gained from wmt members has been invaluable. 🙏🏻
I tested the rosè to have a non-mlf sample for comparison. The malic spots aren’t all definitive but the rosé’s faint lactic spot I think shows the others have made great progress so far. Going to let all the reds go another month before testing again

In the meantime will prep the barrel & build a stand. The CF/CS blend is 1st in line so the Malbec can get a nice lengthy barrel run.
Don't forget Lysozyme for that Rose. You don't want a spontaneous MLF.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Don't forget Lysozyme for that Rose. You don't want a spontaneous MLF.
Didn’t forget. Wasn’t aware at all. I planned to wait until SG was completely finished dropping and hit with sulphite. Figured that would offer protection. Will need to do some reading and familiarize myself.
Do you use lysosome on all your whites & rosé’s?

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
couple questions - Craig- They are much darker than I realized. were yours still light enough in a clear bottle on par with some darker rose’s?
And did you guys have any extra steps done to the wine after AF? I just planned to rack and sulphite, nothing special.
I can now answer your question about in the bottle. These are the last two left over bottles from the rose I did. I can't tell you for certain which is which.

IMG_20200525_134407.jpg

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
I can now answer your question about in the bottle. These are the last two left over bottles from the rose I did. I can't tell you for certain which is which.

View attachment 61613
they look fantastic. I think after my rosé clears it will have a very similar color to what I’m seeing in your picture here. And I would consider that a ‘win’.
Now I’m just keeping fingers crossed the taste falls into place for a crisp summer wine. (2021)

Latest posts