Yellow Plum wine attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SG Reading should still be fairly accurate, just make sure that the hydrometer doesnt stick to anything (walls of the measuring vessel) and that theres not a large amount of bubbles clinging on to influence the reading

I would just take a reading, and guesstimate the % that you're over where you want to be, based on the volume of the must.. And add some water, but only add half of what you think you'll need, then remeasure.. Takes a bit of repetition, but its fast and you can dial it in

By calming down and becoming drinkable, I was speaking "down the line"; I meant that it will take longer for the wine's higher alcohol level to "settle in the back" where it doesnt taste like vodka but instead warms your chest.. Since it takes longer for the alcohol to balance, the acidity and sweetness will also take longer to adjust and find the right balance

I am sort of new to winemaking, hence this is my first comment. I am going to try and use the fruit that grows on my block of land( Western Australia), I will have a whole lot of dark plums coming up soon, so I hope they going to be good for this. I also have a couple of Fig trees, do figs make good wine?

I am sort of new to winemaking, hence this is my first comment. I am going to try and use the fruit that grows on my block of land( Western Australia), I will have a whole lot of dark plums coming up soon, so I hope they going to be good for this. I also have a couple of Fig trees, do figs make good wine?

I have never had Fig wine, but I accidentally stumbled across this recipe.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f45/fig-wine-recipe-39971/

Good luck, to ya....

I always add my bentonite on day 3 and have not had any problems. No worries

If you're going to set your PH on your must you'll have to add your acid blend 1st., otherwise your PH will change when it's added. A TA reading would probably be good at 7g/L or if you're going to set PH I would shoot for about 3.2-3.4. I am new at setting Ph and TA so I don't know how accurate this would be but for whites they're the basic numbers I go for.

I thought bentonite was used for clearing the wine, why would you use it before fermentation is complete? As of this date I have always allowed my wines to clear by themselves, usually about 6 months into the process and racked 2 or 3 times. Then f paks and backsweetening and so far my wines have been better than anything storebought. I add my sugar in small amounts cooked into simple syrup on the stove, then check #'s.......no jet fuel yet

Oak suitable for winemaking is different that most you come across.. Not all oaks are the same - like American Red Oak will leave your wine smelling of cat urine; not really a good thing.

Most cooperages let the oak age outside for 2-3 years to air-cure, before working with it..

Long story short, its easier to buy the right oak at the store..
And I would caution doing things properly the first few times, so you know what you're aiming for when you go rumbling off the beaten path..

But we've all been known to try a thing or two, and we wont hold it against you :)

Back