WONDER FALL

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Post your fall photos here.....

Share the beauty....

novsunriseSmall.jpg

Another beautiful fall day....Way above average temperatures for this part of the country....Got to 70° today....

A Wonder Fall sunset, so beautiful even the Moon was watching....

bigsunsetSmall.jpg
NewmoonSmall.jpg

Was able to work outside all day....Getting all the Fall chores done....Weather going to turn on us tomorrow night...Rain, Rain, Rain and then snow by Friday.....

So, it goes.

Us too with the weather. Spent yesterday cleaning up all the leaves in the yard as for once the windy days last week took all the leaves off all my trees as far as I can see. Winterized the tractor and tuned up the snowblower Its coming!

Today I dragged out the rolls of snowfence...we'll wait for a nasty day to put it up ..[like usual]

I put straw over the strawberries, hated doing that before they freeze, but they could be covered with snow soon....I stuffed straw in the dog houses and kennels too....Then hung tarps on the kennels to keep snow from drifting over their houses.....They are only out there if we go someplace...Spoiled dogs sleep in the bedroom once snow flies.

Did the compost in the rows of the future Raspberry and Blackberry rows....and covered the compost piles for winter...

Got all the recyclables ready for a trip to town....

Jim beefed up his deer stands today.....Firearm Deer Season starts on Sat...Might have some tacking snow and temps in the 20°'s that morning....

Busy day....Running out of stuff to do outside....except for Jim's corn crop....It has finally dried down enough to harvest and more rain coming...He has combined on frozen ground before....

Dread the thought of winter coming, especially after such beautiful weather.....
Maybe we'll have an awesome winter that will never get rude and brutal....Dream On!!!!

Wow. Reading this I understand why the population triples here this time of year. Temps were mid- 80s today, down from the 90s the last couple of weeks. The roads are congested with RVs, and the Walmarts (all three) are jam packed with shoppers. The pickers are out in force in the citrus groves. Miles and miles of fields that were brown dirt last month are turninggreen and blue-green with all manner of lettuce and leafy plants. The alfalfa gows here year round. Seems like they mow it and bail hay every six weeks or so. And for reasons unknown to me, they rotate a flock of sheep around these fields this time of year.

I'm looking forward to cooler temps in Dec so I can move my carboys out into the garage.

smiley20.gif
WOW!! NW I'm happy to see you are getting your energy back! Glad to see you are feeling a little better! We have the same weather as you. In the 70s today and maybe tomorrow. But we know in this part of the country it won't last long! We had an 8 point buck and a flock of turkeys on our lawn this morning, so hunting season is coming closer!

K&GB....Yes...you live in paradise...Enjoy your seasons.

Fresh lettuce sounds good....as well as the citrus.

Must be time that you make some Citrus Mead.....
smiley4.gif

Ken, those sheep are probably brought down from northern AZ for the winter. Back in the 70's they used to actually drive them down walking, was something to see. Aja was the name of a big sheep rancher, his family's herds may be what you see there now. Keep on the lookout for Big Horns, they can be attracted to the sheep and sometimes will come down out of the hills and graze along side them. Ahh, the population increase would be the "snowbirds" coming from the northern states for winter....kinda like the sheep!
smiley36.gif

Let you guess where this was taken.. Picture taken Oct 12th
20081104_070241_10_12_08_037_Wi.JPG

Tip.. for those of you living in NE should be easy

RkyMtnWine said:
Let you guess where this was taken.. Picture taken Oct 12th
20081104_070241_10_12_08_037_Wi.JPG

Tip.. for those of you living in NE should be easy

That is a really pretty spot...no matter where it is.

With an approaching storm on the horizon I thought I would go out and say goodbye to the last of the fall colors....

alpinecurWinCE.jpg
colorsWinCE.jpg
mixWinCE.jpg
purpleWinCE.jpg
hbcranWinCE.jpg
johniesWinCE.jpg
flkaleWinCE.jpg
flameWinCE.jpg
cranWinCE.jpg

It was great while it lasted.....
Edited by: Northern Winos

JW,

The title "Snowbird" has apparentlytaken on a derogatory meaning around these parts, (not sure why) so the politicaly correct among us refer to them as our "Northern Visitors", much like our "Southern Visitors" from across the border.
smiley2.gif

Here's some "fall" pics from the Burton household in Yuma, AZ.

(Wish I knew how to tile these like NW...)

20081104_181457_IMG_0037_Small.JPG

A "High Bisquit" that survived the summer heat.

20081104_181716_IMG_0041_Small.JPG

Lavendar Lantanna.

20081104_181852_IMG_0038_Small.JPG

Cape Honeysuckle.

20081104_182035_IMG_0039_Small.JPG

The Jackaranda tree.

20081104_182303_IMG_0046_Small.JPG

The pool is covered for the "winter".

20081104_182514_IMG_0044_Small.JPG

The corner bed needs work. Most of it died over the summer. The two bougainvillas at the top and the orange lantannas at the botttom are new.

Not sure if anyone remembers the view back in the Spring. It's a bit different....

20081104_183103_The_finished_ba.JPG

Everything in pots died (some of it more than once). The Manuka grapes (trellis by the chairs) I planted almost died but look somewhat better than they did in August. We've learned a lot about what will grow and what won't here in the desert. I'll see about posting a few more pics when fall really does come down here.Edited by: K&GB

Beautiful....Guess we all have to find plants that are survivors in our cliamts.

To 'tile' the photos.....
When I RESIZE them I choose the HANDHELD smallest size.
When I POST the photos I use PhotoBucket and....
When adding them to the POST I don't put any spaces between the IMG COPY/PASTE action.

Did that make any sense????

All except photo bucket. No experience with that. Gina uses flickr, but I upload the pics directly from our computer. I'll play around with it next time and see what I can figure out. Posting pics takes a while, and I tend to run out of patience. Reminds me of waiting for wine to age.
smiley36.gif

nice pics everyone... I agree, takes forever to load pics.. also it takes two or three times before it will load... looks like its going to work and then everything goes blank.

I use Google Chrome just to load the pictures. It is another web browser. Uploads take seconds not minutes like in Explorer. I post quite a few pictures and it got very frustrating trying to get them loaded.

Google Chrome is a Freebe....It is pretty easy.....It works good for UpLoading photos to this Site as well as to any place you get your photos developed....faster than most.

I had a problem with it locking up or disappearing....So went back to FireFox Browser and use PhotoBucket for the photos....You can Upload a bunch of photos at a time to your FREE acccount and then Copy and Paste to this Site.

PhotoBucket kind of nice, they store all your photos, so if your computer ever crashes you have them there.

Latest posts

Back