WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good thing is it sounds like no one had to make an emergency room visit, but what a pain, sorry to hear it. I started with the BB carboys and only have one glass bottle I use mainly for vacuum degassing. I also will try to learn from your bad luck, thanks for the warning. Now back off the the store for you....
Mike

Not trying to make you feel worse or anything, but you should probably never lift a carboy by just the handle. I recall someone posting that they had one or two carboys break at the neck when using just the carboy carrier.

One thing I have done is putting most of my carboys in plastic milk crate carriers. That way when I do clunk them it is plastic against plastic.

It really does suck to lose a batch to something like this.

Yep, I have milk crates for about 75% of my carboys.. I can get them anytime from a neighbor of mine...

I am going to use the milk crate system. I still have lots of Glass and hope to continue using them but all new carboys will be the "Better Bottle" since this is my second such disaster in 2 months.

It happened AGAIN, I was moving my carboy of Welches Concord by the handle and when I lifted it, it swung to the side and bumped a carboy next to it and SMASH 5 gallon of concord wine all over 3 rooms of my home, Kitchen, Living and Dining and it ran down into my basement and through my heat ducts into my furnace. This is my second broken carboy in 2 months both were Concord. I will post some photos soon. I now plan to go to the better bottle. This time it happened just before my family was to show up for our family Christmas party, when my sister the (Matriarch) got there my wife and I were on our hands and knees cleaning up an horrific mess. Now I have to start a new batch for this contest.

Oh-em-GEE! I can't imagine the mess that was. I thought breaking one little 3 gal was bad. Now I feel fortunate. In the heat ducts? That has to the most obscure place wine has ever been spilled.

Maybe you should consider a couple of things.
1= No more concord
2= Change your name Wineon4 to wineonFLOOR. :)

Oh-em-GEE! I can't imagine the mess that was. I thought breaking one little 3 gal was bad. Now I feel fortunate. In the heat ducts? That has to the most obscure place wine has ever been spilled.

Maybe you should consider a couple of things.
1= No more concord
2= Change your name Wineon4 to wineonFLOOR. :)

:)

Yeah I drilled holes in the duct work and allowed it to drain when I post the photos you will see it running from the ducts. It was a very bad day. Lori I added it to my signature HAHA

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my winemaking in the house would have come to a screaming halt after the first crash. You must have a patient wife.
Mike

She loves my wine that saved me but still she was not happy:ft

Started batch number two today.

I couldn't decide if I wanted to go with cucumber or seaweed.

Well, if nothing else...the must tastes mighty interesting....

I am soooo sorry to hear about your loss, wineon4.

My three batches are sitting quietly, waiting to see what I will do to...with...them next!

That's an unfortunate event. Maybe running it though the HVAC system will give the wine an extra little something to win the competition.

first filtering brought to you by Bryant Heating and Cooling hahaha seriously though hate to see that

first filtering brought to you by Bryant Heating and Cooling hahaha seriously though hate to see that

Actually I have been debating about running it through my filter. I still have 2 gallon that I caught in the buckets hahaha. Sounds sick doesn't it.

Actually I have been debating about running it through my filter. I still have 2 gallon that I caught in the buckets hahaha. Sounds sick doesn't it.

nah all the nasty will settle out or be caught when you filter it, only thing that would worry me if you plan to keep it for extended periods of time it may have something still there to get funky on ya. other than that filter away and enjoy or at least i would :h

WO4, I just about cried after seeing that. And I can just imagine the ear beating that I would STILL be taking after that....

Latest posts

Back