WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my three Welch's wines moved to the clearing stage this week. One of these has got to work!

God, I got distracted and lost interest for about two weeks :(. I could have had one of mine bottled. Now I am so far behind that I could never catch up. Although I'll continue to chase the dragon blood....so to speak!

Don't fret, Chase. There's plenty of time, months even. It's not like this stuff needs to age.

Mine are just sitting there, wondering what I'll do to them next. I've never tasted, nor made, a Welch's wine before, so my expectations are fairly low. The next stage for them is crucial, and totally experimental (emphasis on the "mental").

I'm exploring new territory, here. For me anyway. :r

Hmmmm......just reracked both of my WMT Welch's wine contributions.
One is still very grape soda like...I'm not impressed.
The other one smells....not appetizing. I was honestly too scared to taste it.
But I have a plan for both, so I'm just soldiering on.
I plan on tasting them both at the end of February and deciding which to go with then.

I got my three Welch's wines moved to the clearing stage this week. One of these has got to work!

Same here Dave. I have my two sitting and doing their thing with their "special" ingredients.
I sure hope the judges like jalapeno/grape. :)

I'm really pretty happy so far, it does not taste like grape juice at all and I think the combo of Cotes de blanc, opti-white, FT blanc and Med American Oak are working together to keep this pretty mellow right from the beginning. I never considered how much racking and topping off change the volume of the wine. I did my 2nd racking and each time I had to add 3/4 of a bottle of wine to top up. I used my own chablis and then a coastal white and figure I'll rack once more and add about a bottle again which take my welches down to about 90%. I've been trying to push the taste towards a chardonnay kind of wine using citrus zest, dried apricots and oak which don't add to the volume of the wine. I'd love to see other's progress notes, at this point everyone's pretty committed to their wines and probably too far in to start over or change direction anyway.

I'm feeling pretty confident, considering I have no idea what I'm doing.
Mike:D

Oh, you really don't want to know what I'm making. :D I had a good idea everyone else would run for the grape varieties of Welch's. But they have a lot of other flavors, you know. It was my chance to camp out in the Lab and stir up something interesting. It's my first time for Welch's Wine, so---since you asked, Mike---here's my up and coming wines. And remember, you asked for it!

First we have a delightfully virdant colored wine called, Weeping Willow Wines Watermellon Wonder Wine, made from---you can't guess!---Welch's Watermellon Chillers Juice Drink!

Welchs2.jpg

^^^The key will be to actually get it to taste like watermellon!^^^ Before you stop laughing, read on!

Next up is Pepe's Passion! Made---that's right!---from Welch's Essentials Peach Mango Juice Cocktail!

Welchs3.jpg

^^^Sure to be a hit with the kids!^^^

Last, but certainly not least---well maybe---is affectionately named, Rosy Palm! Made from Welch's Essentials Cherry Pomegranate Juice Cocktail!

Welchs.jpg

All are made according to the rules, being 80% of the labelled juice, plus some magic. I decided to step way outside the box and attempt what is said cannot be done. I haven't tasted any of them yet!

:):):)

Danger,

You are getting points just for the labels. Very nice.

I was toying with the same notions as I was perusing the juice aisle at Wally World. I saw some very interesting Welch's flavors. I wondered who would take the bait and run with those.

Looking forward to judging all the participant's best....

I think the tide is turning on my first candidate.

I used currants, elderberry, vanilla, and oak.
It's starting to taste more like wine and a little less like flavored grape drink.

And I've just tasted the 2nd batch.
When I started a couple of months ago, I went from "this is going to be awesome" to "I've made a terrible mistake" fairly quickly.
Now it's just become an exercise in saving 3 gallons of fermented liquid.

Before you wonder what the heck I was thinking...I was going for the refreshing taste of a Pimm's on a summer day.
White grape juice, cucumber, ginger, cranberries, mint.....
All you could smell/taste was overwhelming cucumber....and cooked tasting cucumber, not nice, crisp fresh cucumber.

Last edited:
I've been busy installing wood flooring in my family room, so I've been neglecting my wines. Almost done with the floor, so I'll be moving along with my Welch's wines soon. I have no idea how these are going to turn out.

I'll be sending the lesser of these three evils out for judging. :D

My remake is doing great, ready to rack and clear. I like it dry but will be back sweeting for the contest.

I've been busy installing wood flooring in my family room, so I've been neglecting my wines. Almost done with the floor, so I'll be moving along with my Welch's wines soon. I have no idea how these are going to turn out.

I'll be sending the lesser of these three evils out for judging. :D

Well, now we know what your secret ingredient is. 20% sawdust. Good luck with it,:)Arne.

Oooh, this looks like a HOOT! Wish I would have caught this before!

Oh well, I suppose I can spectate the shenanigans and hope to get a few ideas along the way.

Oooh, this looks like a HOOT! Wish I would have caught this before!

Oh well, I suppose I can spectate the shenanigans and hope to get a few ideas along the way.

Don't worry, Gina. I'm sure we'll do this again. This is our second unofficial contest. When this round is over this Spring, we'll start another one. You are welcome to join in any time.

Latest posts

Back