WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave place a small ceramic heater by your wines. That is what I use in my basement next to any wine that is still in the fermenting stages.

wineon4 said:
Dave place a small ceramic heater by your wines. That is what I use in my basement next to any wine that is still in the fermenting stages.

Better idea: Put it in the microwave!!!!!

I've got several brew belts. I used to use them all the time on every wine I made. I've been working on a slower fermentation process at slightly cooler temps, just to see how things turn out different...and they do. The wine room runs somewhere between 65F-68F most of the time. The wines will start out at that temp, spike at around 72F-74F during primary fermentation, then drop off over the last several days.

The jury is still out---for me---as to whether this makes a better wine. I've tried it with the DB recipe, and it definately lends the wine a different character. Seth confirmed my findings with a cold (55F) ferment he did this past summer. It's all very interesting, indeed.

LOL, the bottom dropped out on the thermometer, have a big box in the basement with a electric heater blowin into it. Hope the ferment finishes, although pretty sure it will, was down to 1.010 tonite. Mite try desert makers idea. My poor brass monkeys are havin a problem. forgot to take them in. LOL, Arne.

I'm headed home from work to stir mine up and see how they're doing. Attempting the extraordinary can result in calamity...or...triumph! :br

Ha, mine is below 1.000, heading for the secondary tomorrow, if I get enough time. Probaly have to work instead. It is really cold here, didn't think the ferment would ever finish down, but helped it along with a big box and a small electric heater. We shall see how that works out. Still fighting for last place. Arne.

I'll fight you for that last place status Arne - mine's been racked to secondary and acting strangely...

It doesn't look strange, but it does currently smell strange.

My thought is that because the secret ingredient is fairly high in acid, it is stressing out the yeast. I'll be splash racking it and adding some extra nutrient to make sure it calms itself down a bit.

TBC...

Once you've had one, why have a 2nd or 3rd.....and I'm not talking about glasses of wine! lol
Also, I have my second Welch's going today. I've come up with some interesting names like "Old Canadian Buck" and "Tropical Rain". Who wants to compete with that???

Last edited:
after 5 i decided i could never be loyal ever.....its just something thats not in my style...i have to have a choice all the time for everything...no such thing as a no win scenario...

after 5 i decided i could never be loyal ever.....its just something thats not in my style...i have to have a choice all the time for everything...no such thing as a no win scenario...

Well, I gotta say one thing about that decision, James - you sure studied hard on it before you made it! :)

I got to thinking about the judging of this and decided I would like to be a judge. :) All those bottles to "judge" would really help fill some empty spaces in my wine storage area.

Latest posts

Back