WMT (Unofficial) Welch's Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I need some clarification(my OCD coming out).
I know we can use Welchs 100% frozen concentrate which is pure juice, but how does Welchs 100% grape juice in a bottle(which would in essence be concentrate with water added) play into the equation of 80%? Does that still count as 100% Welchs being used, or do you have to figure how much water is in the 64oz. container, etc.?

Hope what I am asking makes sense.

D.J., you have to figure water doesn't really count in the equation until it's mixed it with the concentrate. So whether you use 2, 3 or 4 cans of concentrate to water for 1 gallon, it's still 100% Welches juice at that point. So unless you're substituting out the water for another ingredient you're fine. Mine's in the secondary now and starting to drop down it's cloudy layer. Other than Welches and a few bananas I've got straight niagra wine going so far, additions to come later.

Mike

Ok, so the water isn't in the equation, then it would be something like using 64oz. Old Orchard and 64oz. Welchs, if you were making a gallon, that would be against the rules, correct?

Ok, I think I got it then. I thought, at first, it had to be 80% juice, less the water. But as usual I was confused.
Thanks.

Ok, so the water isn't in the equation, then it would be something like using 64oz. Old Orchard and 64oz. Welchs, if you were making a gallon, that would be against the rules, correct?

Think this is a case of don't ask, don't tell. They are both just store bought juices. As long as you use a juice that welches makes also, probably not any difference. I don't make the rules, but my opiinion is go for it. Arne.

This sucks! Now im gonna have to make 5 batches and test each one right before they need sent out in order to decide which one to submit!!!!

chasemandingo said:
This sucks! Now im gonna have to make 5 batches and test each one right before they need sent out in order to decide which one to submit!!!!

Just mix the 5 batches together.

dessertmaker said:
Once you add one of my 10 ingredients you'rr guaranteed a win anyway. Id start with the vizine.

Pepperoni, green, yellow, red, Jalapeño, chipotle, habanero, ghost, chili, sport pepper wine?

Mine is boiling up a storm. I started it at 1.10 in a 6 gallon batch since I hope to put 3 gallon back and make a sweet sparking wine before I stabilize and bottle some for the competition. Checked it last evening after a week in the primary at a vigorous ferment, it was still at 1.05 and tastes terrific.

I'm attempting to go light and fruity with mine, using a few ingredients that I've been thinking about for awhile (not Visine :) )

My family are all very impressed that I'm entering a wine competition; I just neglect to tell them it's entirely for bragging rights! Lol.

I found some interesting looking plants in the back yard that I just threw in the primary. Ought to add a certain, 'je ne sais quoi'.

Last edited:
chasemandingo said:
I found some interesting looking plants in the back yard that I just threw in the primary. Ought to add a certain, 'je ne sais quoi'.

image-991398841.jpg This little flower and lots of leaves from this plant ought to do the trick. Be sure to sample some of the wine before you package it up. You'll have a good nightshade--ER... I... mean... A good night. Yes a good night!

I have a gallon of white and a gallon of blush going right now. Ill taste each and see which one I'll enter. I'm keeping the recipes simple. I guess 6 months is long enough for a Welch's??

I've really stepped outside the box---and my comfort zone---on this one. I've got three different ones going, and holding onto my secrets. I'll decide later what to send in. I hope one of them comes out decent, because they're all looking funkie right now!

Pitched the yeast yesterday...fermenting slowly in the cool basement. I guess I've got plenty of time to start over if need be. :sl

Latest posts

Back