WMT (Unofficial) Strawberry Coastal White Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, Unless I'm just naive I'm not reading any serious competitive mindset from anyone - just a bunch of smack talk meant to be fun.
I am bottling this weekend and also looking forward to seeing some type of "scorecard", truth is I've never even tasted a strawberry wine except mine, which is why I can honestly say "MY WINE IS THE BEST I'VE EVER TASTED!"
Pics on monday hopefully.
Mike
Jim - thank you, I sense there's truth in what you said.

I'm still in for send a coupla bottles out, judges get free drinks, we get three places out of them however they want to decide it (I suggest coin toss or pin the tail on the donkey, or maybe rooster Bingo - yeah, look it up), and some judges comments, and we all go merrily along. Sort of the "anti-wine judging" judging. And I have no problems with a label contest. I don't care either way. But let's keep it simple, and true to how this started - as a total whim and a wild hair. As long as I take last place and it's fun, I'm happy.

We're still keeping this rediculously simple, fun, and full of jovial trash-talk. The "label contest" portion of our competition will be the judges' discretion. Those who want to add a label, may. If not, no foul. We'll ask the judges which label they liked the best of those submitted on the wine bottles they receive. Since there are two judges, we will likely have two favorate labels. No big deal.

If we add another judge for the purposes of breaking a tie, then it sounds like we're getting all serious again! :ft

I'm with you guys, though. Notes from the judges are far more constructive than who won. Besides, if they both love my wine the best, it will look suspiciously like I set this whole thing up for my own personal vanity---which very well may be the case. ::

I actually don't mind the slightly sober tone, inspite of the whimsical nature of our competition. It's all good, and it shows you all care about your work. It's hard to spend so much time and effort in creating a good wine without investing a little emotion in the outcome.

I protest! Who said anything about "good wine"? That was not in our original rules. Quit adding stuff, Dave! How the heck am I going to meet my goal of finishing last with a new rule like that???

I added yard clippings yesterday. The wine is a beautiful brown color in the carboy now. :h

I have no emotional attachment to it, since I am just the middleman between the bottle and the bowl. :pee

Let me know if you guys do another one of these contests. Sounds like fun!!!

30 days??? Yer a tightwad, aintcha??? :)

they should be ale to fly a blue, red ribbons on the page for the who year till the next competition. Just a suggestion of course (Bush) Next year you'll have to start with a different kit this one has been DISCONTINUED BY WINEXPERT! Cant wait for the next one in 2014:r

Last edited by a moderator:
If this works out to be fun (not so serious), Tess, we wil roll out another one in October. A Skeeter Pee contest was recommended, but how can we do that if everyone is making Dragon Blood?! ;)

I may be withdrawing from this one, been dealing with saving my husband's leg over the past five weeks, week long hospital stay, surgery, weekly doctor visits. In between stress and insomnia, 24/7 IV meds and dressing changes all done by yours truly, I am beat. So any weird hour posts from me, know Nurse Sara is awake, again. (Really am a nurse). The only fermenting going on right now is all the kombucha, kefir, yogurt, ginger beer and lactofermented juices--to combat the damage from the antibiotics. I will TRY to look at it this week.

Krafty, I am so sorry to read of the death of your Dad. What a great photo, and your post brought tears to my eyes.

No sweat, Sarah. Forget the wine. Sounds like you're taking good care of your man. My wife is partially disabled. She has a hard time getting around most of the time, so I know where you're coming from. There are times it can be overwhelming. But, then again, that's what the wine is for. :D

Awww Sarah, God bless your heart. These can be such hard times for people. Take care of that man.

If this works out to be fun (not so serious), Tess, we wil roll out another one in October. A Skeeter Pee contest was recommended, but how can we do that if everyone is making Dragon Blood?! ;)

Dave I think DB would be a great Idea. There are so many different ways and combinations you can make DB.
I mean, your doing a base kit and strawberry's this year. The possibilities with dragons blood can be endless.
Just a thought!! Maybe rethink the Oct thing though. Just a suggestion. Make it after the first of the year. All those holidays coming up!! All my wine and wine making time will be occupodo lol Lots of wine gifts this year

Just our opinion. We would not make DB and we have read others have the same problem, acid reflux. We found about 6 bottles of orginal SP in the cellar, poured them out without even trying them. We needed the bottles.

We did make a quadberry before Dave even started making DB. We cut back on the lemon and the next batch had no lemon.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f68/danger-dave-photo-i-promised-17209/

DB is also the quadberry. Its all the same thing Sammy. Not everyone has an acid reflux problem with it.
That is like Im sure some people don't like, or are allergic to strawberry.
Its gotta be something. with anything that gets picked there will be someone who cant do it or wont like it.
Its just for fun. I dont know any better wine for tweaking it anyway you want it.
Especially for newbies!!!That was my fist wine and I was not really happy with my first batch.
Its was the only one that had complete details on how to make it step by step every day and wasnt a kit.
When your new your not necessarily aware of basic wine making rules to follow. People were throwing ingredients at me and I had no idea what do to with them.
Its one of the reasons newbies gravitate to his recipe. Plus the overwhelming good reviews. Mine got better with time by the way.
The contest is not mandatory. Its just something to have fun with.. Fun is the only point. if what ever becomes the choice? if its not for you pass till the next one

wow great color!!

Is it ever does become DB at one time. Color will also have to be judged.
Color
Nose
Taste
Label
and last but not least ....Buzz ratio :)

Forget mothfill its not important with the Blood!! lol
Jest messin guys . dont no one get all up in this!! Still messin!! :) I need to go clean the house

I'm done, no more tweaking, it's as good as it's going to get (really really good I think). I'm thinking another 6 weeks or so of aging and we have the WINNER! Now I just have to decide on one of my four label designs, decisions, decisions.

How did you get it to clear? Mine is still very opaque. It might be the toughest one I have ever done. The super kleer did not work, the Sparkaloid did not work, additions of pectic enzyme has not worked. I think that my award winning wine is just trying to keep me humble. either that or one of my competitors broke into the winery and did something to it!

Ours is finally clear and we just finished bottling. We had the same problem getting it to clear. Will post photos tomorrow when it is daylight and don't have to use a flash.

Looking forward to seeing the pics post them in the DB thread so I know where to look!!

Latest posts

Back