WMT (Unofficial) Mist Wine Contest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished the racking to clear, and the IM is developing nicely. I would like it to age and clear some more.

Logistical questions:

1) What is the cutoff date for you to receive entries?

2) One bottle?

3) Will you let the bottles sit for a month to recover from bottling/shipping shock before you judge them?

1. We will let everyone know closer to judging, however I will accept entries until the day before judging. I don't know the exact date yet.
2. You will ship one bottle to Dave and one to me. We will send you the addresses in a few weeks.
3. Depends when it is shipped and our actual judging date(s). We will try to judge during the same week. I can send my address around the first of the year and then it would be about a month til my judging.

Now you want my secrets Joe. Nothing real special. First I won the kit at my local wine club meeting. We have a raffle for a kit or 2 at our monthly meeting.

2 boxes chopped raisins in the primary
raised the s.g. to 1.088 with 1 pint of honey warmed
Also added med toast french oak in the primary. 1\5 of the small bag as it said would do 25 gal

Been real quiet around here.....

How are everyone's wines coming along?

I didn't know in the beginning these were going to be shipped to two different addresses. At a minimum of $15 each, that may be more than I am willing to spend for a mist contest. That 1/2 the cost of the kit.

Fedex or UPS Ground should be cheaper than $15.

I bottled 2 contest bottles today.

shipping cost

rates do very from state to state ,why are we shipping to two different addresses? are you both not in the same state? what's the story? just asking.:slp

As you know, these competitions are unofficial and rules were made up as we went along. At one point we decided to let the top two in each competition judge the next competition. This was done as a reward or prize to the winners. Dave placed first and I placed second in the last competition. He lives in Ohio and I in Georgia. If it would be easier on everyone I can bow out of the judging and just let him do it. I really wouldn't mind. All who are in just reply and let us know. Cheers

I thought everyone knew by now how this works. We can't do anything about shipping costs. If it's too much, then anyone who thinks so can drop out. I'd like everyone to stay in, but I would understand.

Rod you should stay in as a judge. I think we will get better judging results with a 2 team system. Plus you earned the honor of tasting all the entry's! That's half the reason I'm entering. I'd be ecstatic to place second and get to judge the next contest.

I hope everyone is still in. Shipping is expensive but there isn't any entry fees :). It's not "just" a mist style contest.

I just sent a pm with my address to all who I think are still in the contest. There was a request for early shipping to let the wine rest a while. If you are still in and did not get the message, let me know.

I don't think resting is going to help my wine. My hope is that it doesn't explode.

I've been down with the flu (stupid shot didn't cover this version), but feeling better. Will get my address out soon. Thank you all for being patient and staying involved. I think I should be able to taste again once the contest comes up.

This going to be such fun!

Sorry to hear it Dave, Can't believe that some warm DB didn't cure it.

Dragon Blood just isn't the same when you can't taste it. I finally decided to have some last night because I could finally smell it. Johnna and I haven't had much wine for several weeks. Yes, it's been that bad. We're doing much better (90%).

I'm trying really hard not to be distracted (it's an issue for me :D), because tomorrow is my last work day at the fire department, and I can hardly keep a thought in my head (very excited to start this new chapter in our lives). So, I'm breaking tradition and posting my address here for all to see. If you send me wine, please PM me so I can watch for it. I've got an awesome line-up of taster for this one, and they are all very excited about the upcoming event. Please make sure your wine is labelled with your forum name and what kind of wine you made.

David C. Land
2263 Sullivan Road
Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Let the games begin!

Good luck on your retirement. Hope we don't kill you with the entries. that would really stink!

Dave
I hope you feel better and have a great retirement party !

I just wished you lived closer as I would toast to you on your new life that is ahead of you ! And since I have your address I would be following the ups truck to your house - LOL

Feeling so much better. Ready to judge some delicious wine!

Did everyone who needed it get my address, or should I PM it to you? :n

Back