WineXpert Winexpert - Cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino-ang

Junior
Reaction score
I made some kind of big mistake..... I finished all the steps in my Riesling kit and it was ready to bottle. Sparkly clear with a little sediment on the bottom. I had to travel with the carboy to bottle, so we used the all in one wine pump with the filter attachment and racked everything over to another carboy leaving the sediment behind. It clouded up immediately and has been that way since Friday morning.

We broke one of our carboys so we first had to rack it to a sanitized 6 gallon bucket and then pumped/filtered into the carboy for travel.

Any ideas? What can I do?

Did it get cloudy after transferring to the bucket or after vacuum pump/filtering?

I believe it seemed clear in the bucket. I'm wondering if it could have been the filter? It has been used before and frozen between uses.

Sounds as if you have picked up sediment from the used filter. Let it sit a few days under airlock and see if it clears up. You might need to use SuperKleer or some other fining agent. You will probably want to stir in another 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite since you have exposed the wine to a lot of oxygen. Just my best guess??

Last edited:
Was wondering about SuperKleer as well. I wouldn't have thought of the metabisulfite. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back