WineXpert Wine update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, i usually dont post much but i do lurk in the shadows from time to time... I have a 2007 WE lodi ranch II cab. thats been bulk aging for 5 months now and a washington valley riesling which has been bulk aging for about 4 months. I decided im going to bottle in a few weeks and also decided to have a taste....
the Cab needs more time. It seemed a kind of disjointed and there was oak and a little vanilla on the nose, no fruit yet. The thing that concerns me is there is almost no body or tannin at all, is it an age thing or is a kit wine just not really able to produce a real full bodied wine?
The riesling seemed to be doing better, had great apple and pear nose, and flavor was quite similar to the nose, it did have a great color too. I noticed little red hair looking things floating around... but i realized one of the wine glasses i grabbed i was drinking red wine in it the night b4 and i never washed it so it dried over night. lol
smiley9.gif

so what u guys think on the cab?
Edited by: Ieatrice4dinner

While I haven't made the Lodi Ranch Cab yet, I have made a few of the heavier reds from WE. I have noticed that they are very drinkable at about the age you describe. They taste good, but do lack in the nose and mouth somewhat. I have noted that they really start to open up around the 12 month mark and get very good all the way around at about 18 months. Many casual drinkers are satisfied early, but if you aren't thrilled with it yet, give it another 6 months to a year and you won't believe it is the same wine.

It is common for the whites to be more true to character in a shorter timeframe. Edited by: appleman

We pitched yeast on that kit on May 20, 07 and it is not drinkable yet.
Kit taste. But to your ? I don't think there will be much tannin in
this wine. Maybe if you drink a wine heavy in tannin and let a little
dry in bottom of the glass.....
smiley2.gif

If you like chewy wines I recommend kits with grape skins as they really add tannins and body.

Latest posts

Back