Wine Storage Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
Preplanning for my wine this year, I decided to try my hand at building a rather cheap wine storage counter. Being I don't have anything but a skill saw and a sander, I kept the build simple. It will hold a little over 200 @ 750ml.
20100208_004159_DCP01415b.jpg

Looks good Guapo. I believe i'd anchor it to that wall though.

Gentlemen, I agree anchoring would be a good idea, but in lieu of that (in case you want to move it around a little bit), wouldn't an additional piece of lumber at the base prevent tipping? I'm thinking a ~4 inch projection across the front of the existing base would be sufficient. Since you probably won't be placing other furniture immediately in front of such a rack, I don't think it would interfere with other furniture (tables, chairs, etc)

agreeing w an anchor.....a simple cleat screwed to the wall and then the unit to the cleat should be enough

edited in

the four interior corners need a corner brace..either wood of metal , in fact to prevent racking i would consider a rack bracket done at a 45 degree angle at all four corners ...that is a lot of weight on top of that unit

It does look great.

I think I would worry more about racking (tipping sideways) from the weight more than tipping forward. A solution for both would be a 4 inch piece of wood fastened to the top shelf flush at the top and fastened to each upright with glue and either screws or drilled nails. Then find your studs behind and screw through the cleat into those studs.

The rack looks real nice. I also have a real concern of the entire rack tipping. I would consider tacking a back on the entire thing. You could just use a 1/4" piecs of paneling or partical board. Nothing expensive. Please don't add any more weight to it until you secure it. OR.. are we just not seeing something and you already have it secured. Sorry to jump to conclusions.

Thanks to all for the compliments and words of wisdom. I did glue and screw most of the joints and all of the uprights. It is very stable. I did go to the hardware on Sunday to purchase some corner (L-type) and T-brackets to reinforce the rack with. They won't be seen when completed. I placed the carboys on top for picture taking only. They have been removed since then. We just couldn't wait to try it out. :^)>

20100310_084723_Completed_wine_.jpg

I have an updated picture. We added a back to it (glued and nailed). It
is much sturdier now.

20100310_083415_Wine_rack_with_.jpg

Yep, adding a back makes lots of difference in its sturdiness... and its looks. It is truly a showplace piece of furniture.

Great wine rack. I have been wanting to build myself one, hope you don't mind but I may borrow your design, John.

Help yourself nursejohn, I don't mind at all. I used 1X12 pine for the top, bottom, sides, and shelves and 1 X 10 for the uprights.

Looks great, but it's getting full need to start the next one....
smiley32.gif

Back