Wine Storage Rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone. I feel it will be more useful than decorative, which is what I needed, and I'm just that kind of guy! Cheers!

Updated picture. Rack is getting fuller!
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
ahhhh hahhahahahhahaha!

20100602_212800_Rack_smaller.jpg

Those are 3 gallon Better Bottles (PET Plastic) I highly recommend them. Buy two for 6 gallon usage!

20100602_214647_Wines_resized_1.jpg

Just FYI: L to R are 2010 Citrus/White Grape, 2010 Strawberry and 2010 Dewberry.

Thanks Runningwolf. Right, there's not much light in there. Mostly incandescent which would be me late at night watching wine bubbles and crying "hurry up wine"!
smiley36.gif

I didnt know the 3 gallon Better Bottles were square and they do look very cool like that. I do vacuum racking and degassing so they wont work for me, wish they made square glass ones as they take up less room like that.

Talking with my wife during our last racking adventure, we pretty much decided to buy nothing but 3 gallon Better Bottles for our needs. Most everything we make will be in either 3 or 6 gallon recipes. We love the ease of cleaning, light weight, and compactness of them. occasionally we will make a 1 or 5 gallon batch, and will use glass. 6 gallon glass is so heavy, and I would hate to have a mishap and loose 6 gallons of wine. Just our idea.

The 6 gallon carboys are very heavy when full and I almost slipped a disc when moving 1 one day and thats when I bought the vacuum pump. Now I never have to pick up anything except an empty vessel to clean and also degas and bottle this way which works very fast.

Because I've had a couple of requests for the dimensions, here goes:

This rack is 40 " tall if you don't include the 2" tall base (Total 42")
The width is 69"
The 4 large compartments in the top and bottom row are 14" tall and 16" wide (they will hold 5@ 750 ml wide and 4 high)
The middle compartments holds 9 @ 750ml (3x3) They are 9.5" square
The outer sides are 1x12 white pine (stained and finished)
All other is 1x10 white pine except for the base. It is 1x2 pine.

I bought everything from Lowe's :

4@ 1x12x6'
1@ 1x12x8'
1@ 1x10x8'
1@ 1x10x4'
3@ 1x2x6'

1 sheet of quarter inch plywood for the back.

I drilled, glued, and screwed ever time I could . The rest was glued and nailed.

I hope this helps!

Nice wine rack. Ours looks very similar just much taller. Hubby and I have pretty much decided to go the BB route as well. We still have many glass carboys and don't plan on parting with them, but the BBs are so much easier to handle because I am less concerned about losing wine and more concerned about losing a hand. When necessary I just use the mini jet to transfer liquid so there is no vacuum.
We also use 5 gallon stainless steel kegs to store & age wine. Those kegs are very easy to move, protect the wine from light and temp changes and its very easy to tap into for parties!

Back