Wine stained hands

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an ergo tip for the wine stained hands of a winemaker...always press your white grapes last if possible so the acid can clean the red off your hands from the red grapes

Al thanks for bringing this up on another thread. I also have hands that look black from doing red grapes. I have tried everything from B-Brite flowwed up with a meta/citric solution to just plain scrubbing. Julies Husband told me about "Bar Keepers Friend" that you can find next to cleanser in the grocery stores.

I sarted the day out with black hands and pressed another 12 tons of concord. I just came home tonight and gave this stuff a try. I have to admit my hands look 70% better where as nothing else touched it. I don't have the luxury of choosing which grapes get pressed when but If it is red and white the same day white will always be first. Can't take the risk of tinting the white wines with red even though we do clean in between.

I remember when I was a kid, we used witch hazel to try to remove the stains from our hands. I don't think it was a magic cleaner but it helped. I do remember that it took a number of days or weeks for the stains to be washed off completely with soap. I remember volunteering to wash the dishes and that really helped.

Dan, get a couple of gallons of white wine and put aside....and as i am writing this i wonder if a white vinegar would do the trick for us...i dont like using bleach and usually just wait out the stain till it goes away naturally, but really the white wine works when i am pressing it after a red

another things that i use is a k meta spray and it significantly reduces the stain...you can even leave your hands in a bucket of k meta solution for a bit and see big results

Clorox Oxi-Magic

My recollection is that I had good results with the Clorox Oxi Magic. This is similar to Oxi Clean, but put out by the Clorox company. I've been using this product to take bottle labels off and provide an initial cleaning of wine bottles.

Best of luck with the hands cellar rats.

In my original post I said 70% off but meant 30% off which was still good.

Al I think you're on to something with the white vinegar and I will try it. My hands are in meta all day long as w usually mix up at least (4) drums of it through out the day for running through hoses and stuff. I will try the white wine also.

I love being at fall markets outside on a cold day. I just tell people my hands are so cold they are blue! Most of them believe me......

I have used all of the above except vinegar and they all help to some degree or other.

Rich, indeed there is this look you get when people see those 'blue' hands...and i liken it to something i recall as a child....some times i would see different men w their different hands...office people had one type....vocational type another and then they all broke down into various subsets depending on their genes

this look you get when your hands are well stained is that same look people give when they see an old oak wine barrel, an old style wine press etc...and for city people it is a look that has same quality that drives them to go to local farms in the fall in search of pick your own apples and pumpkins...a look that takes them back to the earth

Hellooooooooo people..........

These work very well!

0805_atvp_02_z+wear_rubber_gloves+.jpg

Bend Over Please

Darn, I thought I was going to get my prostate examined. Yikes!!! :d

I think I just saw Dan cross his legs and squeeze his (as Forrest Gump would say) buttocks! :)

Me the woos, no way Jose' :)

You just can't "get into" what you are doing with gloves on, not to mention I just don't like vinyl gloves and the latex ones I am allergic to. I constantly need to monitor all sorts of doctors, nurses and dentists to make sure they don't use latex on me. I first discoverd the latex allergy in my teens when I first started to use "protection". I would swell all up and get a horrid rash- and no, it wasn't a cheap hooker, it was my wife. Admittedly the swelling could be explained away......................................:slp

Quoting Grapeman: "I first discoverd the latex allergy in my teens when I first started to use "protection". I would swell all up and get a horrid rash- and no, it wasn't a cheap hooker, it was my wife. Admittedly the swelling could be explained away."

...not to mention, appreciated! :)

In the winery the gloves just would not hold up while crushing and pressing. As a side note my hands are full of chemical burns right now and it was gloves that lead to it. I would where them when foaming down tanks and equipment to sanitize them with a bleech based chemical. The gloves would hold the chemical inside making it worse. Now I just apply the foam and rinse my hands off afterwards with no problems.

If I was using something more dangerous like caustic soda. gloves is a must as well as other precautions.

i was referring to already stained hands from red wine...if you press w white wine after doing the reds, your hands are cleaned while you work

Back