Avante Yeast for Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1galbrewer

Junior
Reaction score
I guess I’m partially looking for reassurance for my neuroses. I just pitched Avante into my California Malbec must. Think it’s fine for this style? (1.087 OG, 3.8 pH)

All the recommendations out there suggest using another yeast for Malbec, and Malbec doesn’t seem to be a grape mentioned when searching for this yeast.

The other yeasts I have on hand are RC212, EC-1118, the “red” Red Star yeast, and KV-1116. Would these have been better yeasts to use? Is there a sensory component I should expect to be missing from not using one of the yeasts recommended for Malbec?

I believe the reason you don't see recommendations for Avante is just that it is so new. None of the style guides that I am familiar with include that yeast or anything else from Renaissance Yeast. (If anyone knows different, please let me know!)

I think your neuroses should be allayed!

Renaissance recommends Bravo for Malbec. Bravo is designed for high glycerol wines.

That said, Avante will do the job just fine. You should be happy with the results.

Don't make yourself crazy over the details. At the end if you've made a drinkable, maybe even very good, wine you've done better than 99.99% of the other folks in the world.

Renaissance recommends Bravo for Malbec. Bravo is designed for high glycerol wines.

That said, Avante will do the job just fine. You should be happy with the results.

Don't make yourself crazy over the details. At the end if you've made a drinkable, maybe even very good, wine you've done better than 99.99% of the other folks in the world.
Thanks. Yea, I saw they recommended Bravo, just wasn’t sure what the notable difference was that made Bravo ideal for Malbec but not Avante. Didn’t notice the glycerol level. Thanks for pointing that out! I suppose I can add glycerol if I think the wine needs it, though I doubt I will.

And yea, after talking to some wine makers I believe you with the 99.99% figure. Just about everyone I’ve talked to in person has been like “have you ever tried that yeast thing?” That or they’ve never heard of the concept pitching yeast in wine. They just wash their feet in grapes and wait to drink it 🤦‍♂️.

Thanks again! And thanks to everyone for calming my neuroses, haha.

I'd use Avante on Malbec and expect good results.

Of course Avante will work great. Malbec is actually another Bordeaux variety and the Avante will be ideal. I've done so many Avante fermentations since 2018 that I can't count. It's a great yeast, with quick, clean, and uneventful fermentations. I've used Bravo too, but I can't say it's better or worse. It's just another alternative. Now with Syrah, I'd give a slight nod to Bravo. But Avante and Bravo are more similar than they are different. So go forward and don't worry about it.

at some point I encourage you to get a juice bucket and then make five 4 liter tests with different yeast. The science committee at Sun Prairie Vinters has done this occasionally and then had folks vote on which one was best.
My observation is that the differences between yeast are small and you have to be an expert taster to put words on the differences. It is kind of like describing the color difference between different planks on an oak floor. If you are either of two members in a meeting of fifty folks you will correctly identify the difference between five yeast strains. 48 of us will have random selections. ,,, The differences which show up seem to be related to how the yeast ferments; is there residual sugar? ,, was it a fast / low aromatics hot ferment? ,, is it a dirty yeast which is visually hard to clarify? ,, was it a high nutrient ferment where you taste reductive meat like flavors? ,, oxidation? ,, VA? ,, etc. I feel that you get good uniformity if you follow the directions as “this is a high nutrient”. or “this yeast should be under 25C”

How well trained at tasting are you? Yes Avante will work.

My observation is that the differences between yeast are small and you have to be an expert taster to put words on the differences.
Generally speaking, I agree with David's statement.

I have 2 wines in production using Avante and Bravo, Chambourcin and Cabernet Franc. In both cases, in the very young wines, the Avante tasted a bit fruiter and/or brighter. Those are the best words I can think of to describe the differences, and neither is 100% what I tasted. Maybe 95%. Yeah, it's hard to describe.

Looking at the strain descriptions, Avante eats 25-30% of any present malic acid, so the differences makes sense -- with a lesser sour apple influence of malic acid, other flavors come through more.

Note that both are good -- they just have different characteristics. I won't know for sure for another year (or more) which I prefer. But everything is coming out good.

Circling back to @1galbrewer's original question, ANY wine yeast will produce a good result in your Malbec. Red or white, probably cider and mead as well, as long as it's not one of the low ABV strains that will leave a lot of sugar behind (unless, of course, you want a sweet red).

A strain is labeled "red wine yeast" because it produces the most side effects that humans desire in red wines. The different strains have different side effects, and varietal recommendations are based upon what "experts" say produces the best favored effects in a given strain/varietal combination.

Latest posts

Back