Yeast for Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RylanJacobs

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am preparing to ferment chardonnay and need to select a yeast. I had a bad experience with H2S using D47 earlier this year. I'd like to avoid this.

Renaissance Yeast: my first choice, but I cannot locate a supply <500g. The Avante is available from Lodi Wine Labs in small quantity, but it is geared for reds. Could I use it in my chard?

EC-1118: Allegedly produces low H2S. It's cheap, readily available, and has a reputation as a workhorse. Is it any good for chardonnay?

If you have other recommendations, I am all ears. I am really only interested in low-h2s producing yeast. I plan to keep up a good nutrient regimen, and am not willing to take chances.

Thanks in advance!

I am surprised you had an issue with D47, I don't recall adding any more than normal last time I used it. Spec sheets call it normal in nutrient reqmts. Perhaps your must was low in available to start with.

I might check out the morewinemaking yeast suggestions and pick one that they sell in smaller quantities. EC-1118, while it might not need many nutrients is probably low on my list for a Chardonnay.

I am preparing to ferment chardonnay and need to select a yeast. I had a bad experience with H2S using D47 earlier this year. I'd like to avoid this.

Renaissance Yeast: my first choice, but I cannot locate a supply <500g. The Avante is available from Lodi Wine Labs in small quantity, but it is geared for reds. Could I use it in my chard?

EC-1118: Allegedly produces low H2S. It's cheap, readily available, and has a reputation as a workhorse. Is it any good for chardonnay?

If you have other recommendations, I am all ears. I am really only interested in low-h2s producing yeast. I plan to keep up a good nutrient regimen, and am not willing to take chances.

Thanks in advance!
Did you add nutrient to your D47 ferment? We just made 3 separate Sheridan Chardonnays with D47, V13 and 71B having done EC1118 in the past. All of our wines had high end nutrient added and were racked ~SG 1.020 with bentonite to remove protein haze. They are all clear, tasty and fragrant including D47 which in our humble opinion turned out to be the best. V13 and 71B should give you more fragrance than EC1118. 71B smells really good but will lose malic acid. EC1118 is fine and reliable although at this stage of our winemaking we only use it on high alcohol wines such as sherries or ports for which it is amply suited.

Last edited:
TR-313 Renaissance yeast is what I use for all my whites! NO H2S

• TR-313 is an intensively aromatic strain
  • Releases an exceptional amount of thiols and esters during fermentation
  • TR-313 has the ability to reveal pronounced aromas of Passion fruit, Guava, Grapefruit, Gooseberry, and Blackcurrant
  • TR-313 has the unique ability to reveal three volatile thiols: 4-mercapto-4-methylpentan-2-one (4MMP), 3-mercaptohexan-1-ol (3MH) and its acetate ester (3MHA)
  • It is a reliable fermenter that produces above average glycerol for a white strain and has low to moderate nitrogen requirements

• TR-313 has the ability to reveal pronounced aromas of Passion fruit, Guava, Grapefruit, Gooseberry, and Blackcurrant
  • TR-313 has the unique ability to reveal three volatile thiols: 4-mercapto-4-methylpentan-2-one (4MMP), 3-mercaptohexan-1-ol (3MH) and its acetate ester (3MHA)
  • It is a reliable fermenter that produces above average glycerol for a white strain and has low to moderate nitrogen requirements
My Vidal is pure grapefruit. I forgot that is one of the flavors that TR-313 brings out, and couldn't figure out where that came from.

Was considering Allegro for a future Chardonnay and Viogner (use D47 currently)-- but think I'll also give TR-313 a whirl too!

Cheers!

Last edited:

It sounds like NorCal may have your answer. What is really interesting for me is how many Chardonnay yeast combos have been tried with success, many of which I have never heard of. This is a really good website even for winemakers set in their ways. I commend everyone on this web site for their sincere contributions both total beginners and seasoned pros..

i have always used Lalvin ICV D254 - brings out the butterscotch, hazelnut and almond aromas in the Chard
this was recommended to me many years ago by a big wine maker in the Niagara on the Lake - here in Ontario
i also use it n my reds as well

i have always used Lalvin ICV D254 - brings out the butterscotch, hazelnut and almond aromas in the Chard
this was recommended to me many years ago by a big wine maker in the Niagara on the Lake - here in Ontario
i also use it n my reds as well
Good on you if you like it. I don't. I'm looking for fruit bomb Chardonnay. To each their own.

It sounds like NorCal may have your answer. What is really interesting for me is how many Chardonnay yeast combos have been tried with success, many of which I have never heard of. This is a really good website even for winemakers set in their ways. I commend everyone on this web site for their sincere contributions both total beginners and seasoned pros..
I agree -- there are just too many things for any of us to try. Learning from each others' experience is amazingly valuable.

I agree -- there are just too many things for any of us to try. Learning from each others' experience is amazingly valuable.
It is true...be open to other people's experience. I would never have used 71B, V13 or D47 without this web site. One of the lessons of winemaking is to to not get get pissed off when something goes haywire e.g. in my case a 500 lb drum of crushed Sheridan Syarh 2020 that I femented without nutrient and RC212 yeast i.e a perfect storm from hell.

It is recuperating and has been diluted to use it's best assets (richness) and dilute its debits (burnt race track rubber tire nose now caramel without sugar)

I appreciate everyone's reply. There are many variables that may have caused H2S with my prior D47 ferment. I'm just apprehensive to go through the process again, given the alternatives on the market that produce low/none H2S. Thanks!

Chardonnay Muscat 2023

80% D47 Chardonnay from a carboy on American oak cubes in my cooler with 20% unoaked homegrown Organic 71B Siegerrebe Ortega Reichenstiener fermented with high end nutrient and treated with bentonite mid ferment

Here are my comments:

Appearance -clear, lemon yellow

Smell - fantastic from the dead ripe SG 1.092 Siegerrebe Ortega. Beautiful nose.

Tannin - good

Acid - perfect

Flavour - excellent. It lingers in your mouth. This is a beautiful wine, absolutely first class with a gorgeous finish. You win some and you lose some. This time we won.

So Ryland I made the same Chardonnay blend in a glass with V13 Chardonnay and finally 71B Chardonnay with the same Chardonnay Muscat ratio. Here are my comments on 71B which I prefer to V13.

Appearance - clear, lemon yellow as before

Smell - good fragrant, nose but the D47 blows it away

Tannin - good

Acid - fine

Flavour - this is really good. It gets the Chardonnay fruit bomb silver medal where the D47 gets the gold.

If you have high acid Chardonnay and don't want to use D47 then 71B is perfect. I like 71B Chardonnay better than V13. Good luck with your Chardonnay. We've made Carneros Sangiacomo Chardonnay with EC 1118 that was to die for. Consider 2 batches of Chardonnay 71B and EC1118 both with the best nutrient you can get. i.e. a nutrient that contains B vitamins.

Attachments

• 20231115_143947.jpg
    20231115_143947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's reply. There are many variables that may have caused H2S with my prior D47 ferment. I'm just apprehensive to go through the process again, given the alternatives on the market that produce low/none H2S. Thanks!
Make the wine that you want to so you can enjoy the process. EC1118 is a no brainer and should give you something that you like. In the future consider a battle of the bands between Chardonnay yeasts.

Allegro would be my vote for Chardonnay, tr313 is good too, but I think is more geared towards crisper whites. I think allegro goes better with typical chard profile. It really depends the style you are going for, but really can’t go wrong with either (or do them both and blend).

https://ecom.bosagrape.com/yeast-renaissance-allegro-500g.html?category_id=1494
Bosagrape sells Allegro in 50 gm packs for $12-13 Canadian + shipping usually under $20 US when all is finished. They are a good company and I’ve used them for small quantities of yeasts with no issues.

Last edited:
Good on you if you like it. I don't. I'm looking for fruit bomb Chardonnay. To each their own.
I like the same kind of fruity Chardonnay. I'm not a big fan of the buttery kind.
I just finished fermenting a WE Chardonnay Private Reserve kit with Cellar Science Luscious yeast.
LUSCIOUS Dry Wine Yeast
I kept the temperature at 19C during fermentation and it was done in 7 days. For the whole duration I had a very intense pineapple and grapefruit aroma from the wine, to the point that my wife asked what in the world I was fermenting in the garage that smelled so good. I can't say anything about the taste of the wine, because it's too early. I'll keep it on the lees without stirring for a couple of months, and then taste it. Hopefully it will be clear by then.

there is no right - or wrong when it comes to the pallet - i use this yeast - i use that.....
some say this , some say that - smells like this - smells like that
i use this yeast - i use that
i;m 56 - i never ever made wine from kits, juice buckets, etc... - - i love working with grapes
i was 12 when i started with grapes with my dad
always from grapes - and i aways listened to other people
as a retired business man - i always kept an open mind
listen to others - cause u never and will know everything !!!

Latest posts

Back