Wine leaking through corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jody

Reaction score
I am still a newbie as this was my 4th kit.

I bought an Argentia Ridge Chateau Four-Week Shiraz kit at Costco. When I opened the box to my delight the corks were included. My local wine store charges $4 for 30 on top of the wine kit.

One problem with the corks is that the wine is leaking through the corks. Let me explain: I bottled the wine a week ago and left the bottles upright for 7 days as the kit advised. Today I layed them on their sides in my wine rack. After 5-6 hours I noticed little drops coming out of the tops of the corks. Not much maybe 3-5 drops per cork. I am concerned as what to do.

Should I buy some better corks and re-cork all the bottles? Also if I do that do I need to keep the bottles upright again for 5-7 days? Another concern of mine is if the wine is damaged? It tastes fine and is tasting better now that it has been bottled a week.

Thanks in advance.

Corks could be number 8 instead of number 9.

I assume they are the aglomerated type ( little bits of cork glued together ).

I agree the corks are probably #8's. I would spend the 4 dollars and buy new corks and recork the bottles asap. Yes leave them standing for a few days again before laying them on their sides.

I agree that you should get new #9 corks and re-cork the bottles. Also, be sure that you are not filling the bottle too high? If you are using a Bordeaux bottle, just past the shoulder is sufficient. For a Burgundy bottle, fill it to about 1/2" to 3/4" below the cork. Good luck.

Great thanks for the advice! I will re-cork the bottles tomorrow.

Yes Kev you assumed correct.

They leaked through the center of the corks as well if that makes any difference. The corks did seem to be made of a finer material than what I usual see.

Last edited:
I agree that you should get new #9 corks and re-cork the bottles. Also, be sure that you are not filling the bottle too high? If you are using a Bordeaux bottle, just past the shoulder is sufficient. For a Burgundy bottle, fill it to about 1/2" to 3/4" below the cork. Good luck.

I used only Bordeaux bottles and filled to 1/2" to 1" below the cork. Thanks for the advice I will fill just past the shoulder now.

Last edited:
I have attached 2 photos in regards to my thread. The thread is resolved but I thought I would add this.

cork.jpg

cork2.jpg

When you open one of your bottles check to see if it has been degassed properly ( put your thumb over opening, give it a good shake and release) - if it releases a lot of pressure there is still a lot of CO2 in it and this could be forcing the wine through your corks. The corks should be replaced as suggested, but you may have to degas the bottles first, if it's needed.

When you open one of your bottles check to see if it has been degassed properly ( put your thumb over opening, give it a good shake and release) - if it releases a lot of pressure there is still a lot of CO2 in it and this could be forcing the wine through your corks. The corks should be replaced as suggested, but you may have to degas the bottles first, if it's needed.

It releases a bit of pressure. I poured some into a decanter and it bubbled a little. After pouring some back into that bottle from the decanter I shook the bottle and it foamed some. I only used a stirring spoon to degas. During the 6 stirrings over a 24 hour period. If it is full of gas what do you think I should do now to degas? Pardon my ignorance of degassing(I thought it was that 24 hour period of stirring after the addition of the sorbate/sulphite.)

It releases a bit of pressure. I poured some into a decanter and it bubbled a little. After pouring some back into that bottle from the decanter I shook the bottle and it foamed some. I only used a stirring spoon to degas. During the 6 stirrings over a 24 hour period. If it is full of gas what do you think I should do now to degas? Pardon my ignorance of degassing(I thought it was that 24 hour period of stirring after the addition of the sorbate/sulphite.)
Did you taste any? Was there a bit of fizz on the tongue?

Degassing is a real toughy for most beginner wine makers. Six stiirings over 24 hours, can be enough, **IF** the wine is stirred enough each time. Personally I find that a back-and-forth (or side-to-side) action does a better job of degassing than regular stirring (ie a round-and-round action). I actually do both, round-and-round with a drill stirrer (Fizz-X) to get the additives mixed, plus back-and-forth with the paddle end of the spoon for degassing. And I do it for quite a while.

Steve

Oh yes I have been drinking the wine. I don't find that it fizzes on the tongue.

I stirred it 7 times in that 24 hour period. Mostly round and round with the paddle on the stirring spoon for 3-6 minutes. I would switch directions of stirring every minute to aggravate the surface. Each time I would put the airlock back on and it would release a lot of air, when I would go back 2-4 hours later the airlock had slowed to a stop. Then after stirring same thing. I did 4 stirrings the one day and then when I got up the next day I did 3 more.

Last edited:
In addition to what cpfan says about degassing (I agree, back &forth seems more effective than round & round), the temperature of the wine should be at about 75*F; it degasses much easier at that warmer temp - think of a bottle of pop/beer that foams much more warm than cold when you open it - that's the CO2 coming out.

In addition to what cpfan says about degassing (I agree, back &forth seems more effective than round & round), the temperature of the wine should be at about 75*F; it degasses much easier at that warmer temp - think of a bottle of pop/beer that foams much more warm than cold when you open it - that's the CO2 coming out.

When degassing my wine was at 63*F as I have a cool basement. My wine expert(at the the local supply store) says the heat belt shouldn't be used on a glass carboy as it can crack the carboy. I don't know how I could get the temp up for that stage.

My last three Wine Art Kits degassed fine. I had no problems like this anyway.

I am just going to re-cork and see how that goes. I run the chance of the corks popping out I guess. I have not heard a suggestion yet as how to degass at this stage.

When degassing my wine was at 63*F as I have a cool basement. My wine expert(at the the local supply store) says the heat belt shouldn't be used on a glass carboy as it can crack the carboy. I don't know how I could get the temp up for that stage.
QUOTE]

This is BS. almost everyone of us use heat belts on glass and plastic without issue. That is a "cover my butt" warning from the company. What you don't want to do is, put a brew belt on a carboy that just came from outside or from a freezer. The rapid temperature change could spell disaster. To add one to a carboy that is sitting at room temperature, you have no problem.

Like Dan says, heat belts are used on carboys all the time - sometimes I will put two on if I want to get the temp up in a hurry.
If you are just going to recork, try shaking and releasing the gas from each bottle a few times before corking.

QUOTE]

This is BS. almost everyone of us use heat belts on glass and plastic without issue. That is a "cover my butt" warning from the company. What you don't want to do is, put a brew belt on a carboy that just came from outside or from a freezer. The rapid temperature change could spell disaster. To add one to a carboy that is sitting at room temperature, you have no problem.
Thanks a bunch this is just what I needed to put me further along. I will use the heat belt for secondary fermentation now. With a 4 week kit should I leave it on until bottling?

I agree that degassing can be a pain. Lately, I've been letting time do its thing combined with using a stirrer on my drill. Letting it sit seems to have reduced the effort I have to put into stirring. Seems to have worked okay so far.

The corks in the costco kits are junk. They are too small in length and size(no jokes please). $4 for 30 corks is about a small a price as you will spend in this hobby for Anything

This could also be a case of quality of the corks. Costco and other bulk outlets demand a price from the supplier. The only way a supplier can fill the order and not loose money is cut quality of product.Cork is one of the places it is common to cut quality on. These kits are usually supplied with corks that are consumer seconds $4.00 divided by 30 bottles is only 14 cents per bottle to give you quality corks that won't leak.

Back