Wine leaking through corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy these corks (Flor Quality Natural Wine Corks) And you shouldn't need to worry about anything, these are the best. Heres the link
http://www.widgetco.com/wine-corks-flor-quality-24-45

Suggested for wines: 12+ years old
Material: Highest Grade Natural Cork (1st of 9)
Diameter: #9 (24mm)
Length: 1-3/4" (44mm)
Fits: Standard Wine Bottles (750ml)

Natural "Flor" Wine Corks are natural wine corks intended for wine storage of 12+ years. Natural wine corks are punched from cork oak bark harvested once every 9 years, then dried for up to 2 more years. The wine corks are punched from the cork oak bark and then sorted by quality; the fewer the lenticels (crevise like imperfections) the better the wine cork. "Flor" is considered the highest quality-grade natural wine cork.

Made from 100% natural cork harvested in Portugal. All corks are TCA treated, carefully handled and ready for bottling. Large orders are packaged in S02 packaging. This wine cork will compress to fit standard wine bottles - corker is required.

Last edited:
I'm sure the quality is good but so is the quality of my top quality 1+1 corks for 1/10 of that price. I thought most high quality all natural corks were only about $0.30 each.

Dan
Which corks do you personally suggest ?
I do not have the ability to store wine bottles on their side,(too many bottles and little wall space ) So I have been using synthetic corks, so I can set them upright.
Any suggestions ?

Dan
Which corks do you personally suggest ?
I do not have the ability to store wine bottles on their side,(too many bottles and little wall space ) So I have been using synthetic corks, so I can set them upright.
Any suggestions ?
Steve of coarse the first one I'm going to suggest is the synthetic. I personally don't like them as the self life of your wine is about 3-5 years and I think they play heck on cork openers, not to mention corker issues with them. I used them a fair bit when I first started out and never had any issues with them and there are others that still use them exclusively with no issues. The problems I mention are just from comments of other on here.

With all of that said, wine is stored upright in many warehouses and store shelves without any issues. It is my personal opinion the quality of corks have improved enough over the years that you can get away with storing your bottles upright with a decent cork. As I mentioned above I use 1+1 corks which have a real cork disc on each end of it.

Yeah corks - IMO can be more of a personal preference.

I use the Supreme Corq X2's - I love those!! They fit easily into the bottles - they are said to have a lifespan of 7 years on those.

Now - keep in mind - I will not know that for sure for about another 5 years :) - so in time I will find out.

I store mine upright - which is one of the reason I went synthetic.

Jon
Do you have a link for those ?
I typically have used Nomacorc synthetics and been happy with then so far - but I do use my gildia so I do not put a possible crease in them and then I use the floor corker to push them about another 1/2'' down and wax just the top to prevent any air from entering
(can you assume that I had a problem with air getting into the wine thru the creases caused by the corker ?)

Jon
Do you have a link for those ?
I typically have used Nomacorc synthetics and been happy with then so far - but I do use my gildia so I do not put a possible crease in them and then I use the floor corker to push them about another 1/2'' down and wax just the top to prevent any air from entering
(can you assume that I had a problem with air getting into the wine thru the creases caused by the corker ?)

Does wine leak from those creases??

If not - I think you will be ok.Here is a PDF file on the Corq X2:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNHh6lchszjJIvtxUmaH0-2j79NoBg&cad=rja

I got mine from Wine and Beer supply this time.

But you can also get them here:

Supreme Corq (Not the X2)

http://www.stompthemgrapes.com/Corks_Corkers-9_x_1_3_4_Supreme_Corq_Synthetic_30_count.html

I can't seem to find the Corq X2's...

Will keep looking though...

A buck a cork plus shipping to Canada. I'm guessing that the OP isn't interested, and neither am I.

Steve

The more you buy the cheaper they get. You do get what you pay for. last time I used cheap corks I lost my batch of wine after 6 months. If you make alot of wine like me and don't have the time to drink it all, you want something that will keep that wine long.

Here is another suggestion for a degassing tool. In the paint section of your local hardware store, look for a stirrer that mounts in a drill. There are several sizes. A reversing drill is best but any electric drill would work. With the stirrer near the bottom of the fermenter, run the stirrer at about 1/3 speed. You don't want to get air in the wine. (Except for Skeeter Pee!). Several minutes should be sufficient. Continue until the foaming stops. Assuming a plastic fermenter, try not to rub the sides with the stirrer. You could scratch the plastic and that would not be good.
I never did have much success with the paddle/spoon method.

Latest posts

Back