WineXpert Wine Expert Merlot Questionable

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark500

Reaction score
smiley24.gif

I fermented a WE merlot in January, 2009 and bottled it today after aging in the carboy. It is slowly improving in flavor, but is way below typical retail merlots at this point. Not fruity enough and tasted flat.In fact, I wondered if I should have even bottled it. I did, in hopes in will improve over the next year or so. What do you think?

Which kit did you make? When we first started the first kit we made was the VR Merlot and it took 2 years to really improve. Still have 1 bottle left.
VC

I find almost all red wine kits without grape packs thin and flat like you say. The all juice kits are better but the 15 liter and bigger kits with grape packs make a big red wine like it should be. I do the RJS Cellar Craft Winery Series, Cru Select, and En Primeurs but have heard great things about the Cellar Crafts also.

It's still a young wine. You are comparing it to commercial wines that are several years old and the two are completly different. Just let it get some age on it. Hide it somewhere and forget it for 6 months or so; you will be amazed at what transpired. In the meantime, make more wine. Just my two cents! : )

Still way too young to determine. I have made quite a few WE Selection kits. Didn't care a whole lot for them till they were a year and a half to two years of age. Big big difference.

I bottled a Cellar Craft Late Harvest Riesling about 3-4 months after fermenting and it was OK.
I presume red wineneeds to age longer. Chemically speaking, why is that?

I can't and would not attempt to tell you why chemically. Reds normally have more tannins and that needs time to integrate and calm down. Sweeter wines will hide the imperfections and white wines in general are ready to drink earlier. Age some of that Riesling and at 18 - 24 months it will really be fantastic.
VC

Just let it get some age on it. Hide it somewhere and forget it for 6 months or so; you will be amazed at what transpired.

The WE Selection Original Merlot was my first wine, fermented in April, 2008. Your experience to date with your batchsounds very similar to mine- I was not impressed. Being my first wine, I didn't really know what to expect, and was disappointed-even though I was told to be patient.
As others have said, your patience will be rewarded. The transformation is remarkable and worth the wait.

I completely concur with Smurfe - the WE Selection kits that I have made needed 1.5-2 years before they started to come out, including fruit flavors. In the meantime, make a couple more kits (including some with grape packs like Wade recommends to compare the difference) to help pass the time.
smiley20.gif

- Jim

I opened a bottle of the WEMerlotthis evening. It is improving. My wife says it is good. I think it needs at least 6 more months though.

I opened another WE merlot bottle to use to top off another carboy of Barolo. The WE Merlot is improving each month.

Latest posts

Back