WineXpert Wine Expert California Moscato

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also going to start this kit tonight, I'm planning on adding one 15 oz box of the golden raisens to the primary.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByWine Making1400623986.813697.jpgCalifornia Moscato is underway!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Do you normally leave that such head space? I would top that carboy up to within 1" of the bung with a similar wine. Too much O2 exposure can change the taste/color of your wine.

In this case with the kit I was not going to top it up. The other wines I have made I have topped up to the top. Should I?

You should be fine unless you are going to bulk age. I think the WE instructions on this line of kits states not to top up if you're following their time schedule. Then again, topping up anyway won't hurt anything.

I added mine during primary. However I believe someone said They added during secondary. I am curious what the difference would be.

Well I can still add them to primary since I'm only 24 hrs in but I too would be interested in the differences. Maybe I can add 1/2 box to each.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Did anyone else have an issue with this wine being flat??? I posted this elsewhere but the flavor of mine is flat. Added the raisers to primary. Checked acid level and it took 11ccs of neutralizer for the wine to change color. I think that means the wine has 1.1% acid which seems low. Thoughts? Sorry posted this elsewhere with no response.

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/sekulafamilyfarms

www.sekulafamilyfarms.com

I have always added my raisins to the secondary carboy, and leave it sit for ten days. At that point, the airlock will stop bubbling. I then proceed from there. I know Joe---and some others---put their right into the primary. Just a different way of doing the same sort of thing, I guess. This muscato is definately not a tart wine, but mine has always turned out very nice. I have not checked the pH or TA, though, so I can't help you there. I'm a taster, not a tester.

Like I've said, it mixes very well with the DB, which is very acidic, so it may be a bit flat by nature. Are you adverse to bumping up the TA?

Black Spanish I saw your other post and figured someone would have answered you by now, 1.1% is a high Ta, not sure why your wine is flabby, it ought to be a high acid taste. TA should be around .65% to .75% with a PH of 3.4. What percent is your reagent? If it is a .1% then your TA is .65%, if it is .2% then your TA is 1.1%. Do you have a way to Check PH, that would be a better indicator of where your acid is. Turlock is usually on line in the mornings and may have more to add. He has helped me a lot on understanding acid and PH. I had a wine turn out flabby one time and I added raisins to it and the tannin and acid from the raisins brought it back to life. So I don't think the raisins were your issue. Check your reagents and PH if you can, that should tell the problem. A flabby wine is usually low acid issue.

It maybe my taste buds but it just tastes off. I do not have a ph kit. Acid and PH is something I do not have a grasp on from a wine perspective. Can't wait for Turocks response. Thanks For your help! Also thank you Dave! Bottling as we speak a quad berry Dragon Blood! Thanks for sharing the original recipe!

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/sekulafamilyfarms

www.sekulafamilyfarms.com

Black Spanish I re-read what I posted and seen a mistake in what I said. If your solution is .1% then your TA is .55 % and that may be why your wine is tasting flat. Check your reagent solution for what % you are using.

look at the bottle that is marked Sodium Hydroxide - this is the bottle you are putting in so many cc until you get the color change. the solution is going to be marked .1N or .2N. If it is marked .1N your 11 cc will be divided in half and make your TA .55%. Someone with more of a chemistry background than me will have to tell you why the differences and how they work, but I know I have seen 2 different strengths of solutions and you have to do the math for which strength you are using.

After I read this post, I was thinking, it would be nice of winemaking forum to have list of kits. And on that list people can input how your can upgrade/tweak/enhance the kit to make it better. That would be AWESOME!

look at the bottle that is marked Sodium Hydroxide - this is the bottle you are putting in so many cc until you get the color change. the solution is going to be marked .1N or .2N. If it is marked .1N your 11 cc will be divided in half and make your TA .55%. Someone with more of a chemistry background than me will have to tell you why the differences and how they work, but I know I have seen 2 different strengths of solutions and you have to do the math for which strength you are using.

I've never understood why the producers of these hydroxide solutions would use normality. Its use is actually discouraged among chemists, and it is entirely dependent on what you're referring to.

In this case, you can basically think of it as the concentration value (for sodium hydroxide at least). '0.2 N' is twice as concentrated as '0.1 N', and so you need less of that solution to neutralize the acid in the wine.

Back