WineXpert Wine Expert California Moscato

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work on North side of San Antonio commute from Eagle Ford area.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I made this wine earlier this year and it keeps getting better. I am planning on making a second batch and will add the raisins.

My wife usually drinks a pink or red muscato, could you do that with this kit if you used an f pack from red grapes instead of what is provided with the kit?

Sure, you could add a bit of red grape concentrate to the primary to bump up the abv and add some pink color, then follow directions as normal.

Someone told me to try this---I'll have to look through my PM's for the name---but this wine (moscato) blends very nicely with Dragon Blood. Go figure. I've tried it, and it's very good! I've got an extra moscato kit on hand that I'm going to split and blend with three gallons of DB to make a red muscato (Dragon Moscato?).

If you have both of these, you simply must try a glass. 50/50 is great! Go lighter on the DB for a flavorful pink moscato.

Last edited:
In general Dave is there a moscato kit you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I started this kit today with 15 oz of raisins and 3 tsp of pectin enzyme. Really excited.ImageUploadedByWine Making1398637312.284175.jpg

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Work, ie travel has prevented me from getting mine started...also have a cc showcase Zinfandel, and a orchard breezin tropical lime I need to get going!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Going to use the yeast slurry (I guess that is what the aftermath of primary fermentation is) to make a strawberry lemonade skeeter pee.

Going to use the yeast slurry (I guess that is what the aftermath of primary fermentation is) to make a strawberry lemonade skeeter pee.

You'll hear some people call it a slurry, sediment, or a 'yeast cake'. Either way, I'm sure it would work well in your skeeter pee!

Hey guys. I am fixing to get to the step where we add the fining agents and stabilizers. Just curious, I wanted to take the wine to another level so to speak. I added raisens during primary fermentation like we discussed earlier in the thread, but is there anything else we can do? I don't think finishing tannins apply in this case, but what about the acidity?

Time

Give the wine time to set up to see what effects the raisins have had on the wine,then move froward,be patient,

Thanks joeswine for your response. How long do you suggest? The kit says to wait ten days for secondary fermentation and I am on day eleven.

Cibolo Creek Cellars

Follow us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/cibolocreekfarms

Raisins in the secondary????

IT SHOULD TAKE TWO TO TREE WEEKS IN THE SECONDARY ,BUT KNOW MORE THEN MOVE ON TO THE PROCESS FLOW,LORI DID THIS VERY SAME TWEAK TO HER WHITE AND EDITED HOW ENJOYABLE IT TURN OUT.:u WHAT WAS YOUR STARTING SG? DID YOU BOOST IT TO 1.10 IF NOT THE WINE MAY TURN OUT A LITTLE SWEET HOWEVER IT WILL SMOOTH OUT AFTER 6MOS. IN THE BOTTLE..GOT IT!

Last edited:
You can proceed with the stabilizing/clearing step and after the clearing process, before bulk aging, you can assess and tweak any further if desired. I think a few more weeks (and a sediment free wine) will help you make a better decision how to proceed.

Tannin FT Blanc Soft is a white wine tannin that can be added post-fermentation and should enhance the mouthfeel and impart a perception of sweetness. If you're interested in trying it, I recommend splitting the batch and adding only to half, then give it a month or two to integrate. You could always go back and blend the two batches, or add tannin to the other half if you like what it does.

I use a "box" which is 20oz at my store. If you are doing this in secondary (at about SG 1.010), it will finish its ferment on the raisins in about 10 days---depending on temp. Don't forget, you may need a dose of pectin enzyme to prevent haze. Use 3 tsp stirred into six gallons.

So, do I add them in the primary or secondary?

I'm just starting this kit today and wanted to see what others are doing with it. Glad I saw this as i have a box of white raisins just sitting around looking for a kit.

Latest posts

Back