Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had known it was that cheap I would have had someone else do it. On the other hand I need the experience cause Im sure theyre be much more to do.

Waldo, I missed your post on you asking how much humidity is too much, I am really speculating here but would say that 80% would be really pushing it with a typical cork. If you are using synthetic then you probably dont have to worry about it though. As far as the basement goes, I got as far as getting the ceiling up but need to put up crown moldingand wooden strips to hide all the joints of the acoustic ceiling panels but that will have to be in the future as my job has really came to a screeching halt with this economy and we have laid off all but 6 workers on the floor, next they will be laying off a lot of stair installers and then cut the salesmans salary down, I dont want to know whats after that!!!!!!!!!!!! They probably would lay us off but we are a very experienced few people in which i must say can not be replaced very easily as we build stairs way different then all the other co.'s out there due to my boss being a very intricate engineer. Any else out there getting hit hard with their job?

Ihaveseena picture of those stairs on one of your posts. It looks like they were cut out on a CNC. The riser suports the tred and the dado hides everything. Pretty Neat!

I hate to see it. Every time I go into Wal-Mart I see some construction worker asking if Wal-Marthas any work. I hear that work should pick up in the spring.

We are not up to par on that technology with the CNC router, we do have a manual routing machine but it is old and getting very inaccurate so I prefer to do mostly hand routing except on cheap pine box stairs. I hope i dont end up back at McDonalds or delivery Pizzas but if thats what I have to do its what Ill have to do!
smiley13.gif

I'm not sure if it will be picking up that soon Rocky. I do house plans and there are extremely few new houses even in the beginning phases of planning let alone construction. Normally our area is fairly recession proof being near Lake Placid and other resort towns. I have two small houses in the works now, normally about a dozen by now. Doesn't look good here. Even the construction companies aren't doing any spec houses right now- nobody has the money for it.

I think its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. We have lots of jobs that have just been halted midway so Im hoping that they at least try to finish up those houses as that will keep us quite busy for some time.

Up here in the boonies things are slow for construction workers....Lots of 'see-through' spec houses...Lots of see-through office units too.

A friend who was the most sought after painter/vinyl hanger in the mid size city near here has had alot of free time lately. He had worked on the hospital for a couple years, now is waiting for a bank and the phone company to get their new buildings ready for him to come in, a few small jobs this winter as well, not the usual for him....Many guys are saying their phones aren't ringing.

Scary for all construction companies. The big window factory [Marvin Windows] up here is slow. The [OSB] Strand board factory shut down till further notice. The plywood plant also laid off for the winter..or...whenever? There are no logging trucks on the road like before....So, it trickles down to everyone.

Small main street businesses are closing in all the little towns....little restaurants, clothing stores, boutiques, bakeries...are history.

As for farming....where did the high grain prices go??? Gas went down, so no call for Ethanol, so crop prices are in the toilet too. Not as many grain exports because the economy sucks all over the world.

So it goes.

Its funny how the richest people in the world screw things up so badly but get several million dollar bonuses and retire and leave us all
smiley35.gif
out of luck!

Hey Wade,
We were building about 65 boats a week. Now we are down to just 15 to 20 a week. We had to let a lot of our work force go. This coming year does not look too good for next year also. I could see us going down to about 5 to 8 boats a week. Let's hope someone wakes up soon.

Very sad! If it gets any tighter here I will have to make adjustments and get rid of internet and down grade cable.Luckily I have a few years worth of wine.
smiley4.gif

wade said:
Very sad! If it gets any tighter here I will have to make adjustments and get rid of internet and down grade cable.Luckily I have a few years worth of wine.
smiley4.gif

Glad to see you have a good set of priorities
smiley20.gif

I would do all the same things if needed for my family. I don't have a years worth of wine yet though. Workin on it.

Hopefully that doesnt happen and maybe i can just down grade to "Dial Up"
smiley7.gif
but we'll see. Besides, I can leave here for a year and still be ahead of everyone on posts!
smiley36.gif

Wade!!!! Hand routing??? You are more talented than I thought. You must have a good jig or are you going to tell me that you are framing squarestepping the stringers.

Framing square with square nuts to lay it out and we make Plexiglas or tempered Masonite templates for each different type of route like the standard rise and run or the beveled handicap configuration with no nose. With the curved stringers you have to use trammels, a level for plumb and a flex ruler with a bubble glued on to it to lay out the level run lines.
Edited by: wade

I am a printing press operator and I have gone from complaning about long 60+ hour weeks to being on partial unemployment in a year and a halfs time. I don't think my job will last till spring and at 44 not looking to fight younger people for the few jobs that are around.

Might have to start bootleggin!

Guess we are going to start robbing trains again...
But, our horses are so old....not to mention ourselves.
Edited by: Northern Winos

smikes said:
I am a printing press operator and I have gone from complaning about long 60+ hour weeks to being on partial unemployment in a year and a halfs time. I don't think my job will last till spring and at 44 not looking to fight younger people for the few jobs that are around.

Might have to start bootleggin!

Maybe you could still use those Printing Press Operator Skills to work..............all you need is the right paper and plates.........
smiley2.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley3.gif

I might need to take that up myself soon if the economy doesn't pick up. About the only drafting I do now days is when I go to the bar and order up one on tap
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back