Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wish t was mine!
smiley36.gif

Finally got all my drywall up, taped and mudded last night. Now its time for some serious sanding, the worst part of the job. Doing a drop ceiling down there and some cheap carpet with heavy padding to hide the imperfections with the cement floor. I jack hammered the big lump out of the middle which was a big boulder that they just left there and that was fun but there is no way that I was going to try to level off this much floor.

Uh oh! I have a set back again. As most of you know I had my whole cellar waterproofed, well I just went downstairs and noticed that the concrete is getting damp from humidity rising I guess through the concrete in areas. I will give the place a call in the next couple of days and see if they will come and seal the floor or if this is not covered but it should be or I will have to buy sealer and do it myself. It weird that it waited for me to sheetrock the area. Soon would have been the carpet and that wouldnt be good as it would get moldy quick with how damp this area is.
smiley18.gif

Sometimes when concrete is colder than the air temperature it will draw moisture out of the air and make the cement look wet.....Our root/wine cellar will get a couple damp looking spots during the summer when it is humid...I open the door for a couple days and it is gone.
Put a fan and dehumidifier down there....
Sealing the cement wouldn't be a bad idea....
Don't think I would put any carpet down there....
Good Luck.

i agree....no carpet ever....it ends up being a disaster sooner or later. (my opinion only)

if you want to dress it up i believe you can find very nice tiles these days for similar per sq ft pricing...we used 16x16's in our wine cellar and have been very happy with the decision.

They are coming back to seal it with a heavy silicate based sealer but only give that a 10 year warranty and then it should be redone. I will be carpeting after that as that is what my wife wants and i will check it every summer to make sure it stays dry and mold free. This is the first time it has gotten like this and it is due to the humidity like NW said and from having the door to the basement open and a window down there all day for 2 days. The place said to keep it shut as the humidity is drawn in from outside. I also have put my humidifier in there to dry it out in the meantime and help dry out the compound as it doesnt want to dry so i can sand it.

Wade you undoubtedly added to the humidity with all the joint compound. There is about 2 gallons of water in each bucket of joint compound. When tapes work, they leave all the windows open to let the humidity out. There's the rub for you- open doors and windows to dry out the moisture from the compound and you let moisture in from outside. Good luck bud. I'm sure it will dry out soon.

Whats that old saying? Damned if ya do and damned if ya dont! On the brighter side they are doing it for free and said there was no evidence of the problem so didnt treat it. I guess if you dont open your mouth you dont get the whole package. I still have to schedule with them as its a little hectic around here.

OK, Im a little slow on the take sometimes and just realized what you were sating Rich. It dawned on me on the way home from work today. All that dampness was due to the water being pulled out of the taping compound!
smiley26.gif

Yep that's what I was saying. Working around construction, I see it quite often in the humid east in the summertime. The tapers want the windows open to let the humidity vent, but when you have a cool basement it compounds the problems. Once the humidity dries, you should be fine.

I ran the humidifier in there last night and it sucked up all the moisture and I will run it on second coat this time also.

Wade..hope your running a DE-humidifier [I'm sure you are] and some fans..It will make a world of difference, they really suck out the moisture....run them for a long time after the paint too.

When we built our houses we thought our basements were dry, but sucked moisture out of the cement and sheet rock for months.

Reconsider the carpet idea..they make some tiles now that really look like ceramic/porcelain that you can lay your self, then some throw rugs would warm it up for your tootsies. Friends with a brand new house put carpet in a damp basement and it was a mistake....their leather shoes, purses, belts and anything leather would get moldy...It was a walkout basement, the bedroom was out of the ground on the window side and for some reason there still was a moisture problem....just my thoughts.

I put the second coat on today with the dehumidifier going and it stayed nice and dry and really helps the compound dry out faster, I kept it on low so it wouldn't dry it out to fast.

wade said:
I put the second coat on today with the dehumidifier going and it stayed nice and dry and really helps the compound dry out faster, I kept it on low so it wouldn't dry it out to fast.

smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif

You will be in there before you know it.

Hang in there wade...it'lll come together for ya buddy.
So how much humidity is too much for a wine cellar? My converted storm cellar still gets some moisture in it after a heavy rain. I go down and just mop it up but it sure is aggrevating.

Finally got all the walls down there all sanded and poured the last floor down there so all is nice and level and sealed it all.
smiley11.gif
Now my wife can paint it then I can finally get the stairs sanded,stained, and lacquered. Then its ceiling and trim time which is easy and then tile and carpet and move in. Just took a long time to get all that compounding done cause i hate that part and just couldnt build up enough ambition. Now i look forward to doing everything else!

Sounds like it's going slow, but good.....Hope to see some photos along the way.
Edited by: Northern Winos

It'll go much faster now NW but yes, I was slacking off as I just couldnt get myself to get off my A$$ and get that part done. I had a lot of nooks and crannies due to the way the basemnt is and Im not that good at compounding which "Pun Intended Here" compounded the problem so it was a mess and needed lots of coats to smooth out my terrible work there!
smiley4.gif

Most of the time it's cheaper (Via time savings and job out come) just to hire someone to come in a do the finish stuff. I have done that several times in the past and don't remember ever paying more than $150 for a complete family room. i hate mudden!

Latest posts

Back