Why add raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapecrusher

Reaction score
I have seen on a few threads about adding raisins during secondary fermentation What does that add to the wine? Is it significant ?

Raisins are often used as they are a easy and inexpensive way to increase the body of a wine. They add to the TDS or Total Dissolved Solids in a wine. They can improve the mouth-feel of the wine by increasing its viscosity. This gives the wine a heartier, overall impression. It also causes the fruit flavors to linger on the tongue longer, producing a fruitier impression.

Hopefully I can tack on a few more questions as I as thinking of adding them to the WE Mezza Luna Red kit I just bought. It was a bit thin and i was hoping raisins will help.

Why add to secondary and not primary? I was thinking you would chop them and put them in a strainer bag and squeeze daily during primary fermentation.

I have seen on a few threads about adding raisins during secondary fermentation What does that add to the wine? Is it significant ?
I thought that most people added the raisins during primary.

Steve

Why add to secondary and not primary? I was thinking you would chop them and put them in a strainer bag and squeeze daily during primary fermentation.

In the past, I had always added raisins to primary. Joe of Joeswine is who recently started recommending adding them to secondary. If it were me, I would listen to Joe, as he has been doing this for many years and knows how to make some great wine.

The only exception might be if the kit comes with raisins and the kit manufacturer recommends adding them during primary. Just follow the instructions.

Grapecrusher, I have always used them in primary but based on Joe's suggestion, I am getting ready to try them in secondary in my Sangiovese-Cabernet Sauvignon blend. Joe 'do know' wine!

So in the secondary u just add them with out the fruit bag? U must need to rack a few more times after to ensure the clarity is there?

So in the secondary u just add them with out the fruit bag? U must need to rack a few more times after to ensure the clarity is there?

I think Joe's post said in secondary he added 1 pound of raisins to 5 or 6 gallons of wine. If you use non-organic raisins, pre-rinse the raisins to get any sulfites off their surface.

You can add them with or without the bag. I, personally would add them with the bag because I hate the mess of trying to rack and getting the tube stopped up constantly. Lost of wine makers don't seem to mind.

Fermentation is still going on in secondary. When the raisins are added, fermentation will pick up some and last a little longer, which is not a problem.

At the end of secondary, rack off as usual, leaving the raisins behind. Clearing should not be any slower or more difficult than normal.

Thanks, but isn't it hard to get a fruit bag in and out of a glass carboy?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how it would be to add the bag of raisins to primary on day 4 or 5 and then ferment to dry in the primary?

I've only used raisins in the secondary a couple times now. I rack from primary bucket to secondary carboy at around 1.030 and just add the raisins straight to the carboy. They just end up sinking to the bottom and are easily racked off along with all the rest of the lees.

Last edited:
Grapecrusher, I have always used them in primary but based on Joe's suggestion, I am getting ready to try them in secondary in my Sangiovese-Cabernet Sauvignon blend. Joe 'do know' wine!

Ditto what Rocky said. Joe put me in time out yeasterday for even thinking about straying.

rasins in the secondary

take a look at the pics on when good wines gone bad,you'll see the raisins at the bottom of the carboy not cut ,left whole not that hard to handle,no stress.:mny.

think of it as making a sauce..........:mny

adding rasins

basically for big red wines,not for fruit,there a different animal all together.

adding rasins

OK,lets say I buy your thoughts ,then tell me what can the average wine maker using grapes or fresh juice do to add body to a wine other than adding a concentrate which a lot of winery have gone to ,but we can get into that later,and have you ever tried rasins and to what end did it arrive at?,did you follow my process ,or ?:u AND ARE YOU SURE THE PROCESS OF MAKING RASINS (ALL) ARE THE SAME?

always willing to learn something new....

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread. I like any wine to be full-bodied, however; wouldn't adding raisins also make the wine much sweeter that it should be?

Latest posts

Back