Who picked up any Chilean Juices?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some buckets do come with yeast. The ones I get do not.

If you want the wine to go thru MLF then you need to buy MLF cultures. This would be added once the wine is dry, and BEFORE adding any meta.

Remember if you do MLF not to add and Sorbate.

What juice are you getting?

Hey All,

I ordered and received a Chilean Gewurztraminer bucket. The juice I ordered came with the yeast already in it. I received it almost 2 weeks ago (Friday) and it is still fermenting out. The SG is at right now 1.010.

Question is : Is it too late to add any nutrient and would it even help?

Also should I transfer it over to my secondary now that it is this far along?

Thanks for any help.

Dont add any nutrient at this time as your yeast may not eat it all and that may leave a after taste. If its stops early (no sg hang if a few days) and the sg doest ferment down say 1.005 then a pinch and a stir may be needed but it looks like you wont needs any right now.

Unless you want to ferment it to "Dry" in the primary bucket, it is okay to transfer it to secondary now. I usually do mine around 1.010-1.020

Thanks Wade and Flem,

Think I am just a little nervous. Never have received a kit or juice with the yeast already in it. Doesn't seem right.

Yep, theres 2 way of doing this right now. You can either rack around 1.015 or ferment to dry in bucket and snap the lid down and airlock at that area SG above mentioned. I like the ferment to dry in bucket myself.

Wade or others,
I transferred my Gewurz at about 1.000 to my secondary last week. I am still getting what I think is ferementation a week later. BUT the bubbles are bigger than before.
Could this be something called spontaneous MLF? Not even sure whatMLF is. If it is will it ruin or did it ruin the wine?

Thanks for any input.

MLF is always very small bubbles, most of the time its very hard to see them they are so small and they usually ride up the side of the carboy. If the sg is stable I would sulfite the wine to prevent a MLF from occurring and to keep this wine from oxidizing.

Latest posts

Back