Who picked up any Chilean Juices?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got two here.....Pinot Noir and Malbec....

Picked up at consumers produce in the Burgh!

On oak right now in the secondary. I am using the oak spirals as opposed to the oak chips. I plan on leaving in 4 weeks, but will taste at 3...

looking forward to them both. The juices tasted awesome prior to starting the ferm

what say ye?

I picked up my malbec, merlot, viniogner, and muscat at cp in May. Seemed to be fermenting on the natural yeast, but after I started my fermenting, it was tasting pretty good too. I am using the oak spirals in my wines also. Like them because they are so clean and simple.

Got
12 gal Cab/Merlot
12 gal Carmenere
6 gal red Zinfandel
6 gal malbec
All under MLF and oak

6 gallons Malbec (which was AWESOME last year)
6 gallons Cab-Sav
6 gallons Gewustrameiner

yumyumyumyumyummmm... !
smiley17.gif

Didnt even know Chile had Gewurtz? I would have snagged some grapes or possibly juice if no grapes for that one. I may have to see if there is still some of that locally.

It might be a different distributor here in Michigan - we got our juice in April, but yes, they did offer Gewurtztrameiner.

I picked up the following

Cabernet Franc
Chianti
Sav Blanc
Pinot Grigio

The reds are currently undergoing MLF. The whites are just about crystal clear now. I'll have to bottle in Sept to make room for the fall juices....

Malolactic fermentation is commonly referred to as "MLF", or (in winemaker's speak as) "malo" (pronounced may-low). So if MLF is a type of fermentation, what ferments, what does the fermenting, and most importantly, what sort of changes does MLF make to the final sensory quality of the wine? MLF usually occurs shortly after the end of the primary fermentation (when the grape sugar is converted to alcohol by yeast). It is undertaken by the family of lactic acid bacteria (LAB); Oenococcus oeni, and various species of Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. The primary function of all these bacteria is to convert one of the two major grape acids found in wine called L- malic acid, to another type of acid, L-lactic acid. This conversion is accompanied by the production of carbon dioxide (so hence the term, fermentation). Lactic acid tastes markedly less sour than malic acid. In addition lactic acid has a mouthfeel "softness" about it in comparison to the oft described "hard" and "metallic edged" malic acid. In short, MLF results in a natural de- acidification and softening of the wine's palate. Grapes produced in cool regions tend to be high in acidity much of which comes from the contribution of malic acid. For wines produced from such grapes, de-acidification via MLF is particularly useful as it results in a more balanced and palatable wine.

So is MLF taking place after we rack from primary to secondary with sediment and before clarifying?

ttortorice said:
So is MLF taking place after we rack from primary to secondary with sediment and before clarifying?
It can start by itself or you can add a culture. This is done before adding any meta.

It is typically started right after fermentation is done or right before it has ended because you dont want to add any sulfites to the wine as it will inhibit MLF. MLF turns the harsh malic acid into lactic acid which is much smoother. This process can take from 8 weeks to a few months depending on temps and a few other variables. It is nowhere near as volatile of a fermentation as a standard fermentation and usually is actually pretty hard to tell and can look more like the wine is just degassing with little tiny bubbles coming up the side of the carboy. You should never ever add sorbate to wine that is or has gone through MLF as it can attain a geranium smell and taste to it which is most likely impossible to rid your wine of.

ttortorice said:

Just be mindful that a MLF is for fresh/frozen grapes and their juices. It is not something one would typically ever do with kit wines.

DancerMan said:
ttortorice said:

Just be mindful that a MLF is for fresh/frozen grapes and their juices. It is not something one would typically ever do with kit wines.

Great, now I know why I didn't know, have only done kits.

About to order a couple buckets this week! Was planning on the malbec and wasen't sure what else yet.

I ordered a Carmenere last week. My first attempt at a juice bucket.

Mike

Latest posts

Back