Wine making with 100% varietal juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Glider

Junior
Reaction score
I’m a retired civil service member and retired Navy vet as well. Recently moved from the Florida panhandle to the Asheville, NC area. Started wine making this past June using Winexpert kits and have made four batches so far. Just bought 4 different (3 reds & 1 white) six gallon buckets of non concentrated varietal juice from Carolina Wine Supply in Yadkinville. Got them home and added nutrient, bentonite, checked specific gravity and added yeast. Was surprised to find the SG readings were very low at 1.072, 1.064, 1.030 & 1.022. My assumption is that the juice was permitted to warm up and the yeast, added prior to shipping, was able to kick in and the fermentation process started by the time I picked them up. Would be interested to hear any thoughts or opinions.

Welcome to WMT!

Yes, I would tend to agree with you. I imagine those buckets all were originally in the neighborhood of 1.090 or so, and they started fermenting before you got to measure them. There are ways to dtermine the alcohol content, but none are simple. If it were mine, I would just let them finish fermenting and enjoy them!

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!

Yes, I would tend to agree with you. I imagine those buckets all were originally in the neighborhood of 1.090 or so, and they started fermenting before you got to measure them. There are ways to dtermine the alcohol content, but none are simple. If it were mine, I would just let them finish fermenting and enjoy them!

Latest posts

Back