When to Bottle ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zigman74

Junior
Reaction score
I have have my wine in demijon and seems to be all done activity and fermenting( no activity with airlock) but, still a little bubbly. How long till I bottle rest on shelf ??

I usually keep in demijon for 3-5 months.

Zigman, what variety of wine are you making? Is it from grapes, juice or a kit? I typically leave red wines in a combination of glass and barrel for about 1 year and white wines in glass 6 months before bottling.

JohnT said:
The time to bottle is just before you need the equipment for the next batch.

Thats what i figured. Did chilean wine this year for the first time so that would give me , that would give me 5-6 months :)

Rocky said:
Zigman, what variety of wine are you making? Is it from grapes, juice or a kit? I typically leave red wines in a combination of glass and barrel for about 1 year and white wines in glass 6 months before bottling.

Cab / merlot. From juice. Thanks

Zigman, I have bulk aged wines for over a year and although clear and stable looking, some still had left over carbonation in them. Just try to make sure that those bubbles are gone before you bottle.

Non-kit juices have been known to go thru natural MLF, even many months down the road, in the bottles even. So very important to keep pH and SO2 in proper range, but Lysozyme is a great additive if you want to inhibit those malolactic critters.

Latest posts

Back