when is secondary finished

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georges

Junior
Reaction score
quick question: my red wine (RJS GCI Oz Cab Sauv) is in secondary currently and has been for a week (after a primary ferment of about 7 days).

its been in a reasonably warm environment.

Currently there is *very* little activity- no head of any kind and if i stare at it for about 20 seconds i see maybe a couple of tiny bubbles come to the surface.

Is malolactic fermentation still taking place? I noticed when i racked to secondary that there was a certain tartness about the wine which i am assuming was malic acid. I want to allow this to be metabolised into lactate. Should i consider moving to the next stage of clearing/stabilising now? the instructions say this should be around day 20 which is another week away. im fairly sure there is no air/o2 in the top of the carboy as i have not disturbed the bung since is was racked and the airlock still has some pressure on it.

suggestions?

g

You just need to follow the instructions and do as it says. It is tart because it is newly formed wine and will smooth out, but needs time. This I am assuming is a kit, and they do not utilize malolactic fermentation. The bubbles you see are suspended C02 bubbles simply making their way to the surface.

georges:

As grapeman said, no MLF in kits, I believe it will create a 'flabby' wine (whatever that means).

Also it is usual (in my experience) for the fermentation to be much quieter in the carboy. It depends on the sg when the wine was transferred. Also a warm wine holds less CO2 than a cool wine, so there is less CO2 to dissipate if the primary was warm.

suggestion...learn to take hydrometer (ie specific gravity) readings. Then we would have an idea where the kit is in the process.

second suggestion...patience. It is never a good thing to rush a wine.

Steve

Last edited:
+1 on everything that has been said. As a rule I always keep my reds in secondary for 12 days. The last couple of days I check the SG. Remember you will need to keep this warm in order to degass and get it to clear properly.

Like Steve said above, you should really take SG readings with a hydrometer to tell if you are finished with the secondary fermentation. The general rule of thumb is that when you get the same reading for three consecutive days, the fermentation is complete. The kit instructions will generally tell you approximately what that SG should be. Good Luck!

Primary Fermentation Question

Hi all: I am about ready to start my first batch of wine. But, I have a question concerning primary fermentation and I tried searching but could not find the answer.

When the must is in the primary fermentation bucket, the lid stays off during fermentation, that much I understand. But when do I snap the lid on and put an airlock. WHat should the SG reading be assuming I start with a 1.090?

THanks,
Sal

Latest posts

Back