when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Muscato queen of the italian whites

a great traditional Italian white

ADDING GOLDEN RAISINS TO HE SECONDARY GAVE THIS A VERY SMOOTH FINISH

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

11 cover and tag.jpg

MOVING FORWARD TO BOTTLING............:spm

WHEN TWEAKING WINE IT IS A HARD FACT THAT YOU ARE TAKING A CHANCE,BUT IF YOU DON'T TAKE CHANCES, EVEN CALCULATED ONES YOU'LL NEVER PROGRESS...........................AGREE????????????????????

ALSO REMEMBER THIS WINE I COLD STABILIZED IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR 2 WEEKS TO HELP CLEAR THE HEAVY HAZE THAT THIS KEEP MANUFACTURED FOR SOME REASON,BUT NOT TO WORRY,MISSION ACCOMPLISHED,AND A NICE TASTE AS WELL.TRY THIS ONE YOU'LL LIKE IT.

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

13 moscato straining raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

20140109_183803.jpg

IMG_20140317_125521904.jpg

Last edited:
Nice picture story joe. Those labels are really nice. Where sis you find them?

Labels

LORI,I USE DIFFERENT SOURCES,SOMETIMES THROUGH GINO PINTOS ,NOONTIME,OR GEORGES (TOY STORE) DEPENDING ON HOW I FEEL, DID YOU SEE THE VELVET CAT,THAT CAME FROM NOONTIME ,TOUCH OF GLASS CAME FROM GINO'S,IT ALL DEPENDS>>>>>>:ib

Muscato the queen of italian whites

:spm.................................:spm..........................:spm

GO BACK AND REVIEW THE MUSCATO PROCESS..

Thumbs up on the Muscato, Joe. That's how I do it. And the wine comes out with an amazing golden color. Great job! :b

go back and review the muscat process post#421

Joe,
Just had to say... I purchased the WE chocolate/Orange Port a few months ago.... When I started the secondary I took one of the biggest fattest oranges I could find and peeled the zest off it.... Left it in the secondary for Three weeks..... OMG it taste sooo good! When you take a taste the orange comes forward first... Then the after taste is the chocolate left on your tongue! Gona try to let it age.... Liked it so much I just purchased another one just like it and started it today.... I also purchased a Chocolate/Raspberry Port of the same brand. As per your suggestion I am going to add a little fresh raspberry to the secondary on this one! These should make a great summer drink and I am hoping if I make enough of it I might even be able to let it age out some.... Great advise! Thanks

Sam

Joe,
Just had to say... I purchased the WE chocolate/Orange Port a few months ago.... When I started the secondary I took one of the biggest fattest oranges I could find and peeled the zest off it.... Left it in the secondary for Three weeks..... OMG it taste sooo good! When you take a taste the orange comes forward first... Then the after taste is the chocolate left on your tongue! Gona try to let it age.... Liked it so much I just purchased another one just like it and started it today.... I also purchased a Chocolate/Raspberry Port of the same brand. As per your suggestion I am going to add a little fresh raspberry to the secondary on this one! These should make a great summer drink and I am hoping if I make enough of it I might even be able to let it age out some.... Great advise! Thanks

Sam

I agree! These kits are good! I'll definitely be doing more. Mine is still aging on oak. I just want to buy splits before bottling.

Muscato the queen of italian whites

REVIEW THE PROCESS FRONT TO BOTTLING.:wy

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

6water to must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

Muscato front to back

MUSCATO THE QUEEN OF ITALIAN WHITES
Here’s the process:
Add bentonite to the primary fermenter with ½ gallon warm water and stir it up until dissolved
Open up the large juice bag and dump it into the primary bucket
See the "musk" left over? Rinse that out w/ a little water. You don’t want to waste this, it’s extra yeast food and flavor!
Stir up everything in the bucket until well mixed up, then take your Specific Gravity (SG) reading. Ours reads 1.070.
Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit, don’t stir. We are using Lalvin 1118. Moscato typically does not have oak. We are adding oak tannins and white California Sun-Maid raisins into the secondary to build up the mouth feel. (This we will show in pictures and text later on in the process.)
Now you cover the bucket with a towel so that your yeast can breath but so that dust and debris do not fall into your bucket. (If you have small children, I recommend putting a lid on it w/ a hole so that it can breath. Children and buckets of liquid do not mix.)
Now that we are done our primary fermentation and our Moscato is dry (our SG read 1.012, sorry I did not take a picture. FYI: This reading was right on target with the manufacture- Winexpert. We are right where we need to be) it is time for secondary fermentation.
Notice all the white, rehydrated raisins floating on top? We are going to strain them off the top and then rack this moscato down to a 6 gallon carboy.
Now it’s time for stabilizing. The kit came with a packet of potassium sorbate, K-Meta, and Chitosan for clearing. Add the packets of sorbate and K-met first, then the clearing agent. Then give your carboy a good stir.
Next, we add nitrogen gas to the carboy. (This is not necessary but I do it as a precaution. ) Now the hard part.. waiting..
As always, clean up your carboy right away so that it doesn’t get funky.
Stay tuned. The next post for this Winexpert Moscato kit is to check to see how clear it is. If it needs more clearing, We will apply more Super Kleer as required. (My preference of clearing agents.) Once it’s clear then it’s time for the F-Pak that came with the kit. Once it is clear and the F-pak is applied then we bottle, cork, and label. Again, the post for this (with pictures) is forth-coming. Cheers!

11 cover and tag.jpg

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

13 moscato straining raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

IMG_20140316_120318801.jpg

Muscato stage 2

TIME TO RACK AND BOTTLE :wy

AT THE FINISH THIS WINE HAS ALL THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SMOOTH AFTER DINNER WINE LONG ON FLAVOR AND FULL BODY ...............................................YOURS JP

20140109_183751.jpg

20140109_183803.jpg

IMG_20140316_120306246.jpg

IMG_20140317_122010268.jpg

IMG_20140317_125521904 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140317_124657410 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20140317_131042824.jpg

Last edited:
"Next, we add nitrogen gas to the carboy"
Joe, do you mean argon?

Adding gas

I'VE USED DRY NITROGEN SINCE I CAN REMEMBER AND I ALSO USE IT IN MY TRADE SO I ALWAYS HAVE IT AROUND,NO DOWNSIDE......................:try

Oh those are so pretty! That has been resting for a LONG time. You started that in August? It must be very drinkable by now.

Regarding the poll, what is a zest? How it is it used and when? I have for instance a 6 Gal Skeeter Pee at day 7 in the Primary and 4 oranges in the fridge - can I make a zest with the oranges, how?
Will it have an effect on taste of 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee?

thanks

EDIT:

--
I'm guessing a zest is you slice up say an orange complete with peel and then add juice from orange and peels in small pieces to must?????

So how many per... say 6 gallon batch - is anything else done or added to make the Zest?

Last edited:
Zest is the colored part of the skin - the most outer layer. It is usually loaded with flavor and lets you impart a ton of the fruit's flavor without adding liquid/acid in the form of juice.

Zesting in the beginning

Boatboy is on the money.....

ADDING ZEST TO YOUR PEE! ISN'T ANY DIFFERENT THEN ADDING IT TO YOUR WINE IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT TYPE AND AT WHAT TIME YOUR ADDING IT.....WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PICS. IS ZEST TURNED INTO EXTRACT,THAT IS ANOTHER FORMAT TO USE,BUT FOR YOU USE A RASP OR FINE GRATER AND ONLY REMOVE THE THIN COLORED AREA OF THE FRUIT WHICH EVER FRUIT YOU USE,IF YOUR ADDING IT TO A WINE BASE ALWAYS REMEMBER THE TASTING NOTES, BEFORE ADDING SO THAT THE WINE AND THE ZEST COMPLEMENT EACH OTHER AND DON'T CONFLICT........UNDERSTAND?.........:wy

P1030102.jpg

P1030104.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back