when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Lori

what did you get?

AND YOUR CORRECT ABOUT THE SPOUSE REDIRECTION.:)

Last edited:
My daughter went by the Winemakers Toy Store in Dallas before she came down for Christmas. I let her choose which one she wanted me to do next. , (Although she doesn't know I called George in advance and asked him to steer her toward an all juice bucket.) LOL
She got the Mosti Modale original all juice Shiraz. This one

Last edited:
My daughter went by the Winemakers Toy Store in Dallas before she came down for Christmas. I let her choose which one she wanted me to do next. , (Although she doesn't know I called George i advance and asked him to steer her toward a all juice bucket.) LOL
She got the Mosti Modale original all juice Shiraz. This one

I've done one MM AJ kit, a White Zinfandel, and am happy to say that it turned out pretty good. I had read stuff about MM kits having issues with clearing but I encountered no such problem. Oh, it was on sale at my LHBS for $99.00 so I figured it was worth a try. Good luck with your kit.

Winexperts amarone

I DECIDED TO MOVE THIS FORWARD FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO GOT THIS KIT FOR CHRISTMAS..LETS REVIEW THE PROCESS.:mny

PHASE ONE: THE ADDITION OF THE RAISINS AND POWDERED TANNINS WILL COME LATER..

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

Usual suspects

The raisins and tannins play a big role in this production ,and add that extra something in the form of body and texture watch how it plays out ALONG WITH THE CAPITALIZATION PROCESS TO MAKE THIS IN MY OPPION THE TRUE KING OF THE ITALIAN BIG REDS.

16 Raisins.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

Last edited:
Amarone phase 2

amarone phase #2...........the MIX. NOTICE I'M USING A OPEN TOP FERMENTATION BUCKET THIS ALLOWS ME TO WORK FREELY AND WITH FEAR OF SPILLAGE OR BOIL OVER,IT ALSO ALLOWS ME TO ADD TO THE BUCKET AT ANY TIME WHAT EVER I WANT, SUCH AS RAISINS ,OAK CHIPS OR POWDER AT WILL AS LONG AS I HAVE A GOOD EYE ON THE SG.AND KNOWS WERE IT'S AT, I CONTROL THE FERMENTATION.

9 yeast.jpg

10 yeast on top.jpg

1a bentonite.jpg

1b bentonite.jpg

2 add juice.jpg

3 rinse bag.jpg

4 stir.jpg

5 grape bag.jpg

6 rinse grape bag.jpg

7 SG.jpg

Last edited:
Joe is there a difference to the wine if you add tannin in the primary or the seondary? If so, can you give a run down of that difference and if one is better than the other.

thx

amarone moving forward

PHASES #2 AND # 3.....:wy

AT THIS POINT IS WERE WE TOOK OUT THE RAISINS AND CAPITALIZED THE WINE ,THE DEXTROSE EQUATE TO 1 AN A QUARTER BALL JARS OF VOLUMING ,I ADJUSTED IT UP TO 2 QUARTS OF SIMPLE SYRUP AND ADDED IT TO THE MIX. NOTICE IN A OPEN VAT THE RAISINS ARE EASY TO EXTRACT WITH A HAND HELD STRAINER ALSO AT THIS POINT ONCE THE EXTRACTION HAD TAKEN PLACE WE REMOVED FROM THE VAT, THE WINE ENTERED ITS GLASS PHASE.

WE'VE GOTTEN A LOT OF GREAT COMMENTS ON THIS PROCESS AND BELIEVE THAT IT CAN MAKER A GOOD WINE BETTER AND A GREAT RED POWERFUL,HAVE YOU TRIED IT YET?
...................... JANUARY 16TH 2014
Jump to: navigation, search
ADDING PUNCH TO THE WINE............

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique is named after its developer, the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal.[1] This process is not intended to make the wine sweeter, but rather to provide more sugar for the yeast to ferment into alcohol.[1]
Chaptalization has generated controversy and discontent in the French wine industry due to advantages that the process is perceived to give producers in poor-climate areas. In response to violent demonstrations by protesters in 1907, the French government began regulating the amount of sugar that can be added to wine.
Chaptalization is sometimes referred to as enrichment, for example in the European Union wine regulations specifying the legality of the practice within EU.[2]
The legality of chaptalization varies by country, region, and even wine type. In general, it is legal in regions that produce grapes with low sugar content. Chaptalization is prohibited in Argentina, Australia, Austria, California, Italy, and South Africa. Germany prohibits the practice for making Prädikatswein. It is generally permitted in regions where grapes tend to have low sugar content, including regions in France, Germany, and the United States.

CAPITALIZATION WITH SIMPLE SYRUP

MAKING SIMPLE SYRUP

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

20130516_190450.jpg

20130516_190830.jpg

20130516_193125.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

Last edited:
Process 4

Amarone...................the process continues

NOTICE HOW I DO EVERY THING JUST ABOUT MANUALLY,THIS IS TO SHOW THE NEW WINE MAKER HOW TO USE THE BASIC TOOLS HE OR SHE SHOULD HAVE IN THEIR TOOL BOX AND FOR THE MOST PART THEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE TO PURCHASE,GETTING PROFICIENT WITH THE BASICS IS A GOOD AND SOUND WAY TO INCREASE YOUR SKILLS AND MENTAL PLANNING ,THAT'S THE KEY,NOT ALWAYS SPEED.

20130829_185205.jpg

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone part bottling

BY NOW YOU HAVE FOLLOWED USE TO THIS POINT WE ARE GOING TO DO THE BOTTLING PROCESS MANUALLY FOR THIS OF YOU WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER MEANS SOMETIMES TRADITION WINDS OUT ...........:wy THE FIRST FEW PICS.INVOLVE DEGASSING THE REST IS BOTTLING.:try

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

Amarone Macerating.jpg

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

seals.jpg

dip in boiling water.jpg

the tool.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

taste before bottling (2).jpg

Muscato the queen of italian whites

this wine has been sitting since

8/22/2013 it's time to start a rehab on this one ,it just didn't have the taste or the touch of a true muscato so to kit it up a not and add some sparkle,i'm going to add the zest of 2 grapefruit to it to boost the back end of this wine and give it some personality..

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

6water to must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

Adding to the mix

adding to the mix

WE'LL BE MOVING THIS ONE FORWARD IN THE NEXT MONTH STAY TOONED

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

P1030102.jpg

P1030115.jpg

11 cover and tag.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

Muscato continued

the muscato is setting getting better than it was when it was ,time in the carboy has helped ,patients is a virtue to a wine maker not always applied but understood.let me TAKE YOU BACKTO MOVE YOU FORWARD as to the latest tasting and the way we See it at present
started 8/22/2013

1a Moscato kit.jpg

2 bentonite.jpg

3 open juice.jpg

4 add juice.jpg

5 clean out must.jpg

7 add water to 6 gal.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 add yeast.jpg

11 cover and tag.jpg

Muscato

muscato continued to the tasting

Behind the Scenes​
Muscate:
Light, Fresh, Fruity, Not too sweet, smooth and enjoyable!
THE MUSCATO IS THE SECOND FROM THE RIGHT.....READY TO BOTTLE

12 Moscato raisins.jpg

13 moscato straining raisins.jpg

14 moscato racking.jpg

15 moscato stabilizing 1.jpg

16 moscato clearing.jpg

17 stirring moscato after stabilizing.jpg

18 moscato nitrogen.jpg

Nice and clear Moscato 9 12 13.jpg

Picture of wines 2-8-14.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, can you clarify how you didi the grapefruit zest? How was it added?

thanks Sensei ;)

grapefruit zest

what the grapefruit zest does in my thoughts it acts first:ib as a acidified meaning it gives a brightness to the back end of the wine a bite if you will and also a :D sparkle to the taste up front, you can put it in the secondary or after the first clearing when the wine has finished and the let it sit, it should settle to the bottom then you'll know the final phase is to be completed( bottling).

THIS THEN IS THE BLEND BETWEEN SCIENCE AND ART, THE REINTRODUCTION OF CRAFTING TO YOUR WINES.......................................................:u

AMOUNTS CAN VARY,I USE FOR A 6 GALLON BATCH =TWO TO THREE DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE FRUIT,USUALLY 3

P1030115.jpg

P1030103.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, can you clarify how you didi the grapefruit zest? How was it added?

thanks Sensei ;)

Here is a quote from one of Joe's previous post on zesting.... Hope this helps....

ZESTING and the use of:try

lets be clear on the how to of zest,:try

what is it, the essence of a produc or essecial oils,ex. Orange/lemon/grapefruit just to name a few,the extraction process isn't hard just takes time d

how to:EX. orange zest,take 8 oranges (eating oranges are best for this work,use a micro plainer,or zest grader,and only remove the colored portion of the fruit (no pith) white portion is bitter not to be used,get it,,:b

AGENT FOR REMOVAL OF ZEST:tz

There are to know agents to best do this process with,first EVERKLEER and second VODKA....

IN a ball canning jar place the zest of the fruit,add to the balance of the jar either one of the two agents,I like everkleer,goes farther and stronger a better bite than the vodka,how ever if you like it milder the use the

vodka................after a month look at the jar all should have settled to the bottom and should look a lot pailer than when you first put it in,open the jar carefully and smell the extract (first the alcohol hits you then the fruit..:b

now you have extract..I done this with many a fruit and its a great tool in you tool fix-it box.............:cw

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back